Statler

Event viewer message after update to 4.22

After the update to V4.22 (full version) I noticed the following message in the event viewer:

The SASDIFSV service failed to start due to the following error:

Cannot create a file when that file already exists.

I've rebooted my machine since then but got the same message again after the start. :(

After the update to V4.22 (full version) I noticed the following message in the event viewer:

I've rebooted my machine since then but got the same message again after the start. :(

Try doing a re-install.

funny i got the same thing on vista premium sp1 on my laptop and worse when it rebooted it came up with 3 boxes

ontop of the screen. One said it needed to do an update- when clicking it - it did nothing

another said there were no more updates

the third was real wierd, it said that superantispyware blocked an unwanted program from starting but when trying to click on it - it would not show me the program. It also said to do a scan which i did and it found nothing at all. very wierd.

I am going to uninstall it then reinstall it

robin

ok i uninstalled it using your exe and downloaded and re installed it. Once i reinstalled it I rebooted anyway just to see what would happen and i got no error messages or any box popping up- then i ran a scan and all is well. Funny, this seems to only happen in vista home premium sp1- imagine that!

robin

Try doing a re-install.
Try downloading the SuperAntiSpyware Uninstall Assistant here: https://www.superantispyware.com/downloads/SASUNINST.EXE Run it then reboot your computer, then go here and download the new version of SAS and install it: https://www.superantispyware.com/download.html I hope I have been helpful. Good luck and safe surfing.

Thanks, that did the trick! :D

Sounds a bit weird that the automatic update on two machines did not update properly but no other message apart from the event viewer log was visible. :shock:

And it seems that I'm not alone: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?s=f5f282442164733775c2dd1dd738145b&p=1351047#post1351047.

It probably has something to do with one of SAS's dll's and/or drivers not being replaced properly when the new version was installing, thus making a clean uninstall and reinstall necessary. It's fairly common with updating software of any kind, that's why most vendors generally recommend doing clean installs as opposed to installing a newer version on top of an older one.

I totally agree with you but then I don't understand why SAS would "successfully" auto-update and leave me in the false confidence that everything is okay when it isn't?

just out of curiosity i just checked all 5 of my computers running xp pro and 4 of my clients computers and went into their event viewer

this is what i found

All of them were done by the updater.

why have an updater if it doesn't work.

This did NOT happen with the prior version nor any of the other prior versions.

Superantispyware looks fine and is running fine

Should I uninstall it from all 9 machines and reinstall it?

robin

also this was per the 18th when i did the update

I just rebooted one of the computers to see if there were anymore error msgs and none from superantispyware.

Does this at least mean it is ok? Do I really need to uninstall them all on all these computers and reinstall? because this would be a royal pita.

Again is this a bug in this version? I always used the updater prior to this version and never saw that problem in xp (only sometimes in Vista)

robin

So Nick do you have an answer for this? since it happened on 9 computers not related to each other, why did this happen and if after a reboot there is no more error msg do they still need to be uninstalled and reinstalled?

robin

So Nick do you have an answer for this? since it happened on 9 computers not related to each other, why did this happen and if after a reboot there is no more error msg do they still need to be uninstalled and reinstalled?

robin

Windows is just flagging the driver when you reboot after the update, you don't need to do anything - you make a very big deal out of lots of little things that are of no consequence on each and every update we do :) Relax - all is ok! :)

robin

Windows is just flagging the driver when you reboot after the update, you don't need to do anything - you make a very big deal out of lots of little things that are of no consequence on each and every update we do :) Relax - all is ok! :)

Wait a sec- that is not a big deal. this should not happen. XP should not giving an error msg if it doesn't know what to do. Why not just write something into the code of superantispyware to force xp to do a reboot after an upgrade. This way there are no error msges and people do not freak out at all. And I do not make a big deal, maybe a little deal because i want things to work correctly. What is wrong with that?

and I am your biggest fan- no one out there makes a better antispyware product than you do.

robin