sas1

Scan problem

Running: WinXP Pro SP2 and SAS Free 4.21.1004

Question: SAS Main Menu >> Scan Your Computer >> It doesn't matter which Scan Location I select (flash drive, back up drive, etc.), the scan only occurs on the C drive. Is this a bug?

Running: WinXP Pro SP2 and SAS Free 4.21.1004

Question: SAS Main Menu >> Scan Your Computer >> It doesn't matter which Scan Location I select (flash drive, back up drive, etc.), the scan only occurs on the C drive. Is this a bug?

Are you placing check marks by the drives?

I just upgraded to version 4.22.1014 and was hoping the problem mentioned in my first post would somehow self-correct itself. Not so.

My first attempt to get help doesn't appear to have been very successful, so I'll try again. Here's what's happening:

1) I click Scan your Computer

2) Various drives appear in the Scan Location window and Complete Scan is selected

3) It doesn't matter whether I select the "A" drive or "D" or "E" or "G" drives, the only drive showing in the Scanning Progress display when I begin the scan is the "C" drive, even though my "C" drive is not one of the ones selected.

Am I doing something wrong?

On the Preferences window under Scanning Control>Manage Excluded Folders, you didn't happen to add these other drives to be excluded, did you? That will cause them to be excluded.

I also have this problem. Using 4.22.1014 with XP-home SP3. It doesn't matter what drive/partition is ticked, C: is what gets scanned. I doubt this is by intention, I think it is a bug.

PS. And no - I don't have any exclusions entered.

I also have this problem. Using 4.22.1014 with XP-home SP3. It doesn't matter what drive/partition is ticked, C: is what gets scanned. I doubt this is by intention, I think it is a bug.

Yep, I agree. If I uncheck C: and leave D:\ checked, it starts out by scanning C:

Of course, you can get around this by doing a Custom Scan.

On the Preferences window under Scanning Control>Manage Excluded Folders, you didn't happen to add these other drives to be excluded, did you? That will cause them to be excluded.

No, I don't have any entry in Managed Exlcuded Folders.

Thanks for everyone's input. Nice to know it's not just me.

@siliconman01 - I didn't even think about using Custom Scan. I'll give that a try tonight.

I hope someone from SAS reads this. It sounds like a bug.

Well now I've looked closer at this, I realise that I was wrong. Yes, just under scanning progress it does show the files being scanned as being on C:\....., but on the right hand side side of the screen it also shows it is scanning memory items. When it gets through with these, and the following registry items, it then scans the Drive that was selected.

What is it actually scanning during the "in memory" part of the scan, the files actually in memory, or the corresponding files on the drive itself ? As well as showing the full path of the file (e.g. C:\Windows\Explorer.exe) the hard disk light does flash on and off during this part of the scan, which might give the impression that it is actually looking at files on the drive, but the duty cycle of drive light does not look high enough for it to be scanning the files on the disk.

It is now my impression that this actually does work as intended.

Well now I've looked closer at this, I realise that I was wrong. Yes, just under scanning progress it does show the files being scanned as being on C:\....., but on the right hand side side of the screen it also shows it is scanning memory items. When it gets through with these, and the following registry items, it then scans the Drive that was selected.

What is it actually scanning during the "in memory" part of the scan, the files actually in memory, or the corresponding files on the drive itself ? As well as showing the full path of the file (e.g. C:\Windows\Explorer.exe) the hard disk light does flash on and off during this part of the scan, which might give the impression that it is actually looking at files on the drive, but the duty cycle of drive light does not look high enough for it to be scanning the files on the disk.

It is now my impression that this actually does work as intended.

I agree, greyfox. Sorry I didn't catch this behavior.