redwolfe_98

SAS's "SASENUM.SYS" Not Loading

when i am using SAS in a user-account that has "limited user" priviledges, in windows xp, the program fails to load its "SASENUM.SYS" driver.. if i am using SAS in a user-account that has "administrator priviledges", then the program will load its "SASENUM.SYS" driver..

what is the "SASENUM.SYS" driver for? does the SAS program still have any real realtime protection when it fails to load the "SASENUM.SYS" driver, when using SAS in a user-account that has "limited-user" priviledges?

when i am using SAS in a user-account that has "limited user" priviledges, in windows xp, the program fails to load its "SASENUM.SYS" driver.. if i am using SAS in a user-account that has "administrator priviledges", then the program will load its "SASENUM.SYS" driver..

what is the "SASENUM.SYS" driver for? does the SAS program still have any real realtime protection when it fails to load the "SASENUM.SYS" driver, when using SAS in a user-account that has "limited-user" priviledges?

When did this start happening? What changed on your system?

When did this start happening? What changed on your system?

the problem has always existed, with SAS build 4.x, on my computer..

i think that maybe the problem is caused by SAS build 4.x's not installing "for all users", but installing "for current user only", instead, even though i select "install for all users" when installing the program..

does the SASENUM.SYS driver need to be loaded in order for SAS to have any effective realtime protection? what is the SASENUM.SYS driver for?

if i boot up my computer and log in to my administator account, the SAS program will load the SASENUM.SYS driver, and if i then log out of the adminstrator account and log in to my limited user account, the SASENUM.SYS driver continues running.. however, if i boot up my computer and then log in to my limited user account, SAS fails to load the SASENUM.SYS driver..

i am running win xpsp3, kerio 2.15, antivir, and "system safety monitor"..

redwolfe try doing a properties on the sasenum.sys file, check the securities tab. Make sure all your user groups ie: Administrators, Power Users, SYSTEM and Users all have at least a minimum of "Read" and "Read & Execute" permissions.

Worth a try.

edit

I just noticed you are running HIPs "system safety monitor" have you tried disabling that, as it could be restricting the running of the driver in lesser permission modes.

I just noticed you are running HIPs "system safety monitor" have you tried disabling that, as it could be restricting the running of the driver in lesser permission modes.

thanks for the help, greyghost.. i have been using SSM (system safety monitor) for a couple of years and it has never caused a problem for me.. it is not SSM that is blocking the driver from loading, it is "windows" that is blocking it from loading, when SAS is running within a limited-user account, due to the way that SAS is designed.. SAS is simply not designed in such a way as to be able to load the SASENUM.SYS driver when it is being run within a limited-user account.. or, the problem might not be that the program is not designed for it, but that the program does not install properly, installing "for current user only" instead of installing "for all users"..

i imagine that nick is working on fixing the problem.. i hope so, anyway..

i tried changing the "permissions" for the whole SAS folder, in c/program files, but, surprisingly, that didn't help..

incidentally, it was the SSM program that alerted me to the fact that the SASENUM.SYS driver was not loading, when logging into my limited-user account.. SSM alerts me when SAS is loading the driver, unless i make a permanent rule for allowing it.. i noticed that i was not getting the alert when logging into my limited-user account.. also, SAS has a feature which shows the status of all the drivers on my computer, whether they are running, or not, so i can see when the driver is, and isn't, running..