larrymcg

RESOLVED: FP? Rogue.eantivirusPro in Whatsrunning

Using version 4.21.1004; core 3575 trace 1563 (09/20/2008)

Updated the definitions and did a quick scan. It claimed that Rogue.eantivirusPro was found in C:\Program Files\Whatsrunning without a specific file being named. I told SAS to take no action.

That's a folder containing the Whatsrunning application and has been on my PC for almost 3 years (but almost never run). Today's update for SAS added Rogue.eantivirusPro.

A google of Rogue.eantivirusPro shows that this rogue was discovered just a couple days ago.

I asked SAS to scan the folder Whatsrunning. It found nothing.

I asked SAS to scan the entire Program Files folder. It found nothing.

A false positive? Why would it trigger once but subsequent scans fine nothing even though SAS did not remove or quarantine the problem?

--Larry

Evidently the on-demand scanner (invoked by right-click an object and then select Scan with SAA) is different than the scanner used when invoking the program and asking for a Quick Scan of the disks. I think this because after the on-demand scans failed to turn up anything I did a normal Quick Scan and it claimed it found Rogue.eAntivirusPro again in the Whatsrunning folder.

Hmmmmm...... Are the two scanners different?

--Larry

With the new updated definitions, SAS does not complain about What's Running. So it must have been a false positive that has been fixed.

Today's successful scan used the 9/23/2008 update.

--Larry