Nick77

SAS missed many infections -- would like some feedback . . .

I updated then ran SAS and to my relief, it found several trojans and other junk on my machine. Great!

But just to be thorough, I rebooted, then updated and ran Malwarebytes Anti-malware . . . which found several more infections!

Needless to say, I was dissapointed SAS didn't do the whole job. Is this normal? Do we all really need to run multiple anti-spyware products just to make sure our machines are clean??? Here's what the Malwarebytes Quick Scan found after SAS did its best . . . .

http://www.zincstudio.com/malware.htm

Why haven't you tried doing the process in reservse? First running Malwarebytes and then SAS... you would have seen that Malwarebytes would have missed many malware files too.

SAS doesn't catch 100% of malware, neither Malwarebytes, neither any anti-spyware software, period

I updated then ran SAS and to my relief, it found several trojans and other junk on my machine. Great!

But just to be thorough, I rebooted, then updated and ran Malwarebytes Anti-malware . . . which found several more infections!

Needless to say, I was dissapointed SAS didn't do the whole job. Is this normal? Do we all really need to run multiple anti-spyware products just to make sure our machines are clean??? Here's what the Malwarebytes Quick Scan found after SAS did its best . . . .

http://www.zincstudio.com/malware.htm

From the screen shot, looks like some files in temp, and some harmless registry traces. What version of SUPERAntiSpyware, what version of the definitions core and trace were you using? You will find the same situation if you run the products in reverse - we detect LOTS of things MBAM does not detect. They focus on traces (from our observation ), we focus on the heart of the infections.

That said, no single product can catch everything on a given day - there are just too many threats - multiple layers of protection are always best.

Hi, thanks for the fast response. I was using SAS 4.21.1004, Core 3566, Trace 1554. I'm sure it's true that SAS would find things that Malwarebytes missed.

SAS is a solid product. I'm currently using NOD32 antivirus + Outpost Firewall + SAS + MWB. Hoping that combination will keep evil beyond the gates.

I use MB as part of my malware removal procedure, but i don't like the amount of traces (benign remnants) it finds and reports as "infections". It reminds me of the days of Spybot and Adaware.

....and that's where I always have to explain what benign traces are.