markiejd

How can this be ????

I have run superspyware and all clear. As a double check get spyware doctor and this finds quite a few more issues ? How can this be ? Which one should you buy ?

Thanks,

Mark,

I have run superspyware and all clear. As a double check get spyware doctor and this finds quite a few more issues ? How can this be ? Which one should you buy ?

Thanks,

Mark,

Streight answer no one product detects & removes everything on any given day but that is wellknown fact amongst more tech savvy user's.

As to which one to purchase then it all boils down to experience and opinion.

I thought that would be the answer but for one product to detect lots and others none I find this very strange. Which software do you use/recommend or do you use two ?

Thx

I thought that would be the answer but for one product to detect lots and others none I find this very strange. Which software do you use/recommend or do you use two ?

Thx

What is the other product reporting - post the log here.

Thx

Well taking into account that they all miss stuff then this is not surprising...its swings and roundabouts as to who comes out on top on any given day/infection etc

That said dont be fooled by the Numbers game at play with detections by softwares.

For example only

Brand X could detect 100 items of an infection...Folders/files/regkeys/registry values and so on

Brand Y only detects 10 items

Yet both kill the active infection :shock:

As long as the active content of infection(EXE's,dll's,sys files etc are removed)then the rest are not crucial removals persay as they do absolutely nothing.They are often refered to as *orphaned* values and represent no risk.

As far as what software i use personally,owing to my experience and knowledge of 'puters i run no resident AV and only have SAS pro installed for testing purposes.I spend a lot of my hobby time intentionally infecting my pc inorder to gather new malware,infections and hone my clean up skillz :lol:

But if you would like my neutral opinion on which to buy then in all honesty PCtools has just been bought out by Symantec and most of the security sphere know that it will get trashed like so many of their other acquisitions.

Go for SAS PRO :wink:

Having run another scan with spyware doctor the results are as follows

rogueantispyware.ms_antivirus

trojan.fakealert

rogueantispyware.antivirus 2008

Adaware.BHO.Gen

Trojen.Generic

Tojan.Gaslide.B

Any Ideas? I want to go with SAS but why would this show ?

Having run another scan with spyware doctor the results are as follows

rogueantispyware.ms_antivirus

trojan.fakealert

rogueantispyware.antivirus 2008

Adaware.BHO.Gen

Trojen.Generic

Tojan.Gaslide.B

Any Ideas? I want to go with SAS but why would this show ?

Send the file for analysis from superantispyware. Are you sure that they aren't false positives? Spyware Doctor loves those one. Or maybe they're only registry keys?

SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log

https://www.superantispyware.com

Generated 09/05/2008 at 09:58 AM

Application Version : 4.21.1004

Core Rules Database Version : 3557

Trace Rules Database Version: 1545

Scan type : Complete Scan

Total Scan Time : 00:15:42

Memory items scanned : 452

Memory threats detected : 0

Registry items scanned : 3995

Registry threats detected : 0

File items scanned : 13915

File threats detected : 2

Adware.Tracking Cookie

C:\Documents and Settings\Lisa\Cookies\lisa@msnportal.112.2o7[1].txt

C:\Documents and Settings\Lisa\Cookies\lisa@specificclick[2].txt

The scan with spyware doctor shows all registry keys apart from

RogueAntispyware.MS_Antivirus in C:\Program Files\MSA ????

Any Ideas ?

The scan with spyware doctor shows all registry keys apart from

RogueAntispyware.MS_Antivirus in C:\Program Files\MSA ????

Any Ideas ?

Does that folder actually exist? IS there actually anything inside? Try enabling the view of hidden files and folders as well as system files and see if the folder actually exist.

If not try with this tool http://www.antirootkit.com/software/IceSword.htm

and try to see if that folder exists AND if there's anything inside.

folder is there but empty and hidden files and folders are on ?

So probably the infection was there and SAS removed it some time ago, but the folder has remained and Spyware Doctor detects it. That folder can't do anything.

and the other that were in the registry don't worry about them ? Is this juts a ploy for you to but other spyware software ? The only reason that I am going on about this is because the lady who's pc this is bought some software that popped up through antispyware 2008 XP and now the credit card has been used a few times so she has had to cancel the card. Hence why I am going to town with this a bit. I am happy with SAS and will purchase but want to make sure the machine is clear and also this does not happen again. I have also used trend online scan and this found troj-dloader.vfm and this had removed and just doing another scan now.

Thanks,

and the other that were in the registry don't worry about them ? Is this juts a ploy for you to but other spyware software ? The only reason that I am going on about this is because the lady who's pc this is bought some software that popped up through antispyware 2008 XP and now the credit card has been used a few times so she has had to cancel the card. Hence why I am going to town with this a bit. I am happy with SAS and will purchase but want to make sure the machine is clear and also this does not happen again. I have also used trend online scan and this found troj-dloader.vfm and this had removed and just doing another scan now.

Thanks,

Well leaving registry entries behind is certainly not a good thing, but those entries cannot do anything if there is no program that uses them. I think that you could remove them simply using CCleaner, it would detect them as broken and prompt you to remove them.

The reg keys won't hurt anything.

Spyware Doctor is notorious for false positive and detecting benign traces.