prairie dog

Safe to Assume?

If I had xp antivirus and an unclassified trojan that SAS removed, and is no longer showing in any scans with SAS and avira, am I safe to asssume all threats are gone? Just want to make sure. Thanks

If I had xp antivirus and an unclassified trojan that SAS removed, and is no longer showing in any scans with SAS and avira, am I safe to asssume all threats are gone? Just want to make sure. Thanks

Anyone with experience dealing with live malware infections will resoundly reply that it is not a forgone conclusion that all is clear.It probaly is but there is always that chance it is not.

Although SAS and Avira have very high detection rates in their respective fields it would still take the use of advanced diagnostic tools inorder to definetly sound the all clear after an infection has been removed :)

Thank you for the response! I just want to make sure my info is safe. XP antivirus and trojan unclassified k series. If there were any bits left, would my info be safe ( in your opinion)? Thanks again for your help!

Ps. Im not exactly sure what kind of viruses these are. From what I read I dont think they steal info?

I just want to make sure my info is safe. XP antivirus and trojan unclassified k series. If there were any bits left, would my info be safe ( in your opinion)?

Well couple of things there,xpantivirus is a known fake alert infection,it sometimes travels alone and other times is accompanied with various other malwares.Depending on the source and age of the infection will detemine its active malware content :wink:

As far as "trojan unclassified k series" goes then i'm not sure which bot that is by SAS labelling so dont know what its capabilities/functions are etc

Anyhow would you like me to get you to run a couple of diagnostic tools and review the output data ?

Ok then here 2 of my priniciple diagnostic tools of choice when checking cutomers pc after cleaning with the botkillers 8)

Download a copy of Autoruns :

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi ... 63902.aspx

Run a scan but then after it completes

Click options .

Check both "verify code signatures" and "hide signed microsoft entries" . This will make the output list a lot shorter :D

Now press F5 to rerun the scan with the new settings.When this completes

click file tab then select "Export as" and save the log(autoruns.txt) to your desktop.

Copy and paste the contents of autoruns.txt to your next post.

Download RootkitUnhooker>>>

http://rapidshare.com/files/140970549/R ... 3.rar.html

Runs a full scan and save the log at the end.Copy and paste the contents of the logfile to your next post:)

No worries,

When you first run Autoruns after the EULA(install consent) screen then the tool automatically scans.You will see this as the data list builds and the scan is completed when "Ready" appears in the botom left of the Autoruns windows.

HTH :)