genegold

Why that little update pop up box?

What is the purpose of the update box opening (in the lower right corner) each time the main SAS dialog box is opened (free version 4.1.1046/XP)? Click its update link and an error message says that SAS has to be closed to do the update. But then do that and the box disappears! Sometimes it even opens after the update has been started from the main box and is well under way. The other thing about it is that the box says there's an update available, even when my definitions are up to date. Most programs of this kind are set to determine if there is a real need for updating, rather than just run on automatic pilot. In any event, I've learned to ignore and close this little pop up, but it's annoyingly superfluous and makes me wonder what's going on.

It does the same thing when opening the Pro version's icon from the desktop. I think the purpose of the smaller update box is to alert the user to existence of a new update, such as after computer start up, but SAS doesn't seem to differentiate between that situation and just opening the application itself.

The current version is 4.21.1004 :) May want to update.

Thanks. Your idea exposed a "bug" in the SAS upgrade system. I upgraded yesterday to the Pro version using the upgrade special that comes up during the free version updates. The instructions said that all one has to do is register it, not install a new version. That I did and have since updated three times, right then and per notices on startup. That left me in something like 4.1.1060, and the program said I was up to date a few minutes ago.

Following your sugggestion, I've installed 4.21.1004 and will see if it makes any difference re that update box.

I was getting the same error message when trying to update to the latest free version. As someone here recommended, make sure 'show SAS icon in system tray' is checked in preferences. Close SAS, right click on it and click 'update'. Worked fine for me on two boxes, You can always uncheck 'show icon' afterward you don't want it there.

I was getting the same error message when trying to update to the latest free version. As someone here recommended, make sure 'show SAS icon in system tray' is checked in preferences. Close SAS, right click on it and click 'update'. Worked fine for me on two boxes, You can always uncheck 'show icon' afterward you don't want it there.

I pretty much did that and then the next time I started the computer the icon was no longer in the Notification tray (lower right). That didn't seem very efficient. It took installing 4.21 Pro to get it to stay there.