alicez

SAS 4,2 and Vista Security Center

I just uninstalled previous ver of SAS and installed ver. 4.2.

However, when I go into the Vista Security Center and go to the Malware secton, and then click on Show me the antispywasre programs on this computer, I see that SUPERantiSpywasre is marked as OFF.

Does any know why it does not show ON?

Is SAS running normally if it show OFF in the Vista Security Center?

Alice

It is already checked!

That is why I was someone might have SAS 4.2 Free on Vista? If they did, what do they see in the Vista Security Center?

It's shown as "OFF" because the Free Edition does not have real-time protection.

Thanks.

That's what I thought.

But SAS will still function for me and catch spyware, etc. with scan... Correct?

A bit confusing because it is showing AVG 8 Free as ON and I don't think there is "real-time" protection there either.

Yeah, there's an xml file in Vista that manages the programs that show up in the Security Center and what is displayed (ie which programs it shows and the state of their protection) is determined by how the individual vendor, in this case AVG, decides what info to display depending on the program's state. AVG must have chosen to show protection as being on simply because the program is installed (as far as I know the old AVG AS did have realtime), while SAS more accurately reports whether realtime protection is actually running. To answer the second part of your question, yes SAS will still scan and remove just as well as the Pro version does, it simply won't block threats before they are installed due to lack of the realtime agent.

=================================

Thank you. Very helpful answer.

I notice you have "Tea Timer."

#1- Do you also use SpyBot S&D? Or is your Tea Timer another program?

I had S&D on this Vista Premium, but removed it in preference to SAS. (Wondering if I should re-install it, with Tea Timer enabled. I think S&D would work with Defender, AVG 8, SAS and Spyware Blaster. Or maybe I would be oveerdoing with spyware programs.)

When I had S&D installed, the Vista Security Center had it listed as 'snoozing.'

#2- If you have it installed (with Tea Timer enabled), does it show ON?

I think mine said 'snoozing' because I had turned Tea Timer OFF, because people told me I would be getting too many pop-ups.

#3- Does your Security Center show all your spyware programs listed as ON, OFF, SNOOZING? Or not at all? Or does it just show some of them (including Defender as ON)?

(I think SC gets mixed up at times and doesn't report properly.)

Alice

Yeah, I use Spybot, mostly for the immunization feature, but TeaTimer is nice too cuz it watches the registry.

=============================

Thanks.

Doesn't SpyBlaster have immunization also? Would you know?