dellyfry

Time changing malware

Some recent malware changes the system clock to defeat antimalware protection by moving time backward or forward a few years, thus disabling their subscription . I find this to be a problem for antimalware programs that validate their time of installation by the user's clock, and not by an online time source/reference.

This happened recently when using a trial version of SuperAntiSpyware Pro on a user's system. Lo and behold the malware changed the clock back eight years and all the sudden SAS Pro complained about the trial version time being up. I only suspect it would be the same for non-lifetime licenses as well.

Maybe SAS Pro could provide realtime protection on drastic clock changes (like what the homepage protection does) or reference an online source (if available)?

Some recent malware changes the system clock to defeat antimalware protection by moving time backward or forward a few years, thus disabling their subscription . I find this to be a problem for antimalware programs that validate their time of installation by the user's clock, and not by an online time source/reference.

This happened recently when using a trial version of SuperAntiSpyware Pro on a user's system. Lo and behold the malware changed the clock back eight years and all the sudden SAS Pro complained about the trial version time being up. I only suspect it would be the same for non-lifetime licenses as well.

Maybe SAS Pro could provide realtime protection on drastic clock changes (like what the homepage protection does) or reference an online source (if available)?

Thank you for the suggestion!