HAN

Auto update question with auto updates turned off

As I am on a very slow dialup connection, I have auto updates and the auto update reminder turned off.

That said, I have access to a high speed connection a couple of times a week. So, when I'm there, I download the latest definitions to a USB flash drive and bring them home. So far, this has worked well for me.

The question I have is that even though I have auto updates turned off, SAS Pro occasionally tries to bring up the dialup connection box on it's own (the SAS updater window is running when this happens.) Is the program set so that even if auto updates are turned off, it will attempt to update itself every "xx" many days? Today was the 15th day since it was last updated from the PC itself and it tried again this morning.

As I am on a very slow dialup connection, I have auto updates and the auto update reminder turned off.

That said, I have access to a high speed connection a couple of times a week. So, when I'm there, I download the latest definitions to a USB flash drive and bring them home. So far, this has worked well for me.

The question I have is that even though I have auto updates turned off, SAS Pro occasionally tries to bring up the dialup connection box on it's own (the SAS updater window is running when this happens.) Is the program set so that even if auto updates are turned off, it will attempt to update itself every "xx" many days? Today was the 15th day since it was last updated from the PC itself and it tried again this morning.

Do you have all the options under the update tab unchecked?

Have you tried turning the system off and re-booting? secondly try reinstalling using the uninstall from SAS. :)

Use this tool to uninstall:

https://www.superantispyware.com/downloads/SASUNINST.EXE

IF YOU WISH you may try pre-release version 4.2 : or see website to redownload Version 4.15.1000 again. :)

Version 4.20.1044 - scan engine enhancements and small fixes.

You can download here:

https://www.superantispyware.com/prerelease.html

I used the uninstall tool and removed 4.15.1000. I then installed the latest 4.2 build. I'll let you all know if I have any more issues.

(FWIW, the uninstall tool only removed the Application Data files from the Admin account. My other Limited User account SAS Pro files had to be hand deleted. Something that surprised me. :( Normally, a special removal tool catches everything, even when the regular uninstaller won't. )

It happened again tonight. Everything related to auto updating is unchecked but from boot, right before the SAS splash, the dialup connection box popped up and the small SAS update box was on the display behind it. This is version 4.20.1046 and was a fresh/clean installation created earlier in the day.

Is there a registry setting that controls updates? Or are these settings in some kind of INI file? I'm pretty confused how SAS can continue to try to update if all of the update settings are switched off???