alicez

SAS in place of AVG-AS

I would like to use SAS in place of AVG-AS 7.5 and wonder if there is a written procedure about how to install SAS and how to set it up so it works properly. Is there such a 'guide.?'

We are senior citizens and not too familiar with computers and wonder if SAS is an easy program to use?

Will it work with NIS2005; and other spyware programs?

Thank you.

I would like to use SAS in place of AVG-AS 7.5 and wonder if there is a written procedure about how to install SAS and how to set it up so it works properly. Is there such a 'guide.?'

We are senior citizens and not too familiar with computers and wonder if SAS is an easy program to use?

Thank you.

It will not conflict with any other product. There is nothing really to set up, you simply install and you are all set!

Thank you.

It will not conflict with any other product. There is nothing really to set up, you simply install and you are all set!

Thank you. Once the free SAS is installed, do I have to download regular (weekly, monthly) "definition" updates, etc.?

Do we ever have to do a 'scan?'

If you have SAS Professional, by default, it'll automatically check for updates every 8 hours. Otherwise, you can always manually check for updates by clicking the button on the bottom left corner of the SAS main menu.

I intend to download the FREE Home User version. Believe the other is the PRO which is not FREE.

Just wanted to know if we had to get updates (which was answered)

and do I have to do a scan with SAS?

Or is it similar to Spyware Blaster?

(We are senior citizens and really cannot afford the costs of Pro.)

On the professional version, You may schedule a scan to occur at a predetermined time during which the computer is ON but will not be needed to be used. As noted above checking for updates occurs automatically every 8 hours. Should your computer be off during that time, you can check manually which involves only a simple click to initiate a download which is then installed automatically. A periodic scan in addition to the above is recommended at intervals dictated by your surfing habits. Although real time blocking is present in the professional, it's always prudent to also do a scheduled Scan as noted above. :)

alicez,

The link below shows the differences between the Free version and the PRO version.

https://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html

Note that the free version does not have realtime monitoring. This means that there is no monitoring of downloads or programs that are running in memory. With the Free version, the only way it can detect malicious files on your system is if you manually initiate a scan on your system.

For the free version, updates of new detection rules must also be manually downloaded and installed. SAS releases new detection rules once per day Monday through Friday (holidays and weekends typically excluded). In order to get the updates, you have to manually download and install the Core and Trace definitions from the link below:

https://www.superantispyware.com/definitions.html

Hope the above helps.

Unless there has been a change recently, AVG-AS 7.5 will continue to get updates until 31/12/2008 (or 12/31/2008 depending on where you live!). This info is from their forum.

My son called and said the AVG-AS 7.5 "AND" AVG-AV 7.5 will discontinue updates on August 31, 2008.

Was that ifnormation incorrect? If so, we would not have to rush (too much) to delete old programs and install new programs.

Hi Alicez,

There has been quite a bit of conflicting info around re when support for 7.5 will end. Mainly this appears to be 'coz the kind folk at Grisoft seem to be unable to make up their minds, and have changed the date a few times. One of those dates was as your son advized. Another was end of May/08. Currently it is end of the year. But who knows for sure?

I'm still getting updates for AVGAS 7.5 (so far.)

But frankly, I really think you're better off going for SAS. You'll have no problems adjusting to it after having a look around the GUI, it's all nicely laid out and fairly intuitive to use, you don't have to change any of the default settings. It's ready to go "out of the box."

Just update it and scan.

How often you scan is up to you. Once a week should be adequate, maybe less if you're safe surfers and have other good security protocols. (If you use the PC for credit card transactions/banking, and are slightly uncertain about the possible vulnerabilities - and who isn't? - I'd scan daily, to be sure.)

I'm still getting updates for AVG-AS too and I'll keep the program until the updates stop - then it goes. I've had AVG-AS since it was Ewido and it's already lasted longer than I thought it would after Grisoft got hold of it, but it'll be strange to be without it after all this time.

Despite all that, if I had to choose right now, I'd go for SAS because it's an excellent program and the support here is superb. What more can we ask for?

Ditto!

My husband and I have 'always' been using AVG-AV and AVG-AV 7.5.

However, with the discontinuance of updates for these two products rapidly approaching (as I said, I think it is now 8/31) - I decided to delete AVG-AS 7.5 from my desktop and notebook and install SAS.

Will soon be deleting AVG-AV and AVG-AS 7.5 from our new Vista notebook.