Mike Turner

High CPU Usage

Can you please try this test:

Remove all instances of Nvidia software and uninstall the card from Device manager. Reboot, and allow Window's to load a generic driver.

Does the problem still occur now?

I have removed all trace of Nvidia software from the PC, and let Windows load the default drivers, and the problem seems to have gone away.

Mike.

I have removed all trace of Nvidia software from the PC, and let Windows load the default drivers, and the problem seems to have gone away.

Mike.

Have you tried our 4.2 pre-release version with the drivers? If not, would you like to do so?

That's wonderful news. I'm sure the SAS developers are most interested in the resolution.

Are you experiencing any video problems or is that ok as well?

SUPERAntiSpy, I have not tried 4.2, but am willing to try it. Can you send me the link, please?

Seth, with the default drivers, I only get a screen resolution of 800 by 600, so I am going to have to go back to the standard Nvidia drivers.

Thank you for your input.

Mike.

SUPERAntiSpy, I have not tried 4.2, but am willing to try it. Can you send me the link, please?

Seth, with the default drivers, I only get a screen resolution of 800 by 600, so I am going to have to go back to the standard Nvidia drivers.

Thank you for your input.

Mike.

You're welcome.

800x600 is unacceptable, but at least the culprit has been found.

Go ahead and install the nvidia driver and see what happens.

I got lost here with some of the more technical information and the various steps. Is there a solution? What steps should I take since I am still experiencing the problem?

Thanks

I got lost here with some of the more technical information and the various steps. Is there a solution? What steps should I take since I am still experiencing the problem?

Thanks

We're still trying to figure it out, but we've almost got it.

Thanks

We're still trying to figure it out, but we've almost got it.

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.

Unfortunately, the problem still occurs with 4.20.1026.

It might help for me to describe the symptoms in detail.

When SAS is exhibiting "normal" behaviour, SuperAntiSpyware.exe shows an occasional cpu peak of 1 or 2 %. This occurs when the PC is in Safe Mode, or the Nvidia drivers have been disabled or removed.

When it is showing "abnormal" behaviour, it starts by showing a peak of about 5% cpu every other second. This very slowly grows throughout several hours. The regular check for updates appears to cause the cpu usage to drop back to the 5% peak, which then slowly grows again. Therefore, if I disable the "Check for Update", and leave the PC logged on overnight, cpu usage increases to about 35% - 40% every second, after about twelve hours or so.

If I can help you any more with solving this, please let me know.

SuperAntiSpyware is a great product, and I want to see it working even better.

Mike.

Hello again.

Well, we've found the conflict, so at this point, it's in the hands of the SAS developers to investigate it further.

Good luck.

Would you explain what the conflict is, please :wink:

I wish I could, but all I know is SAS and that Nvidia driver aren't playing well together.

By any chance, if problem still exist, you wouldn't mind formatting your computer? I think it would be the best end solution to your issue.

By any chance, if problem still exist, you wouldn't mind formatting your computer? I think it would be the best end solution to your issue.

My problem still exists. I am just waiting for SuperAntiSpyware to, hopefully, come up with a solution.

The problem still exists, and I have no intention of formatting my computer.

I can confirm that SAS Pro does appear to have issues with NVIDIA. I have two laptops, one with NVIDIA and one with ATI. The NVIDIA PC CPU bangs away from 5 to 8 or 9 percent CPU every other second and the ATI one is much quieter with only 1 or 2 percent every now and then. I'm not home now but I am using one of the 4.2.x builds. I too hope this can be addressed in a future SAS build...

Nick/Pandato: Any news to share with us on this issue? Have you been able to confirm any of this? I'm not asking for specifics... It's just that we haven't had any kind of feedback since Aug 10.

Nick/Pandato: Any news to share with us on this issue? Have you been able to confirm any of this? I'm not asking for specifics... It's just that we haven't had any kind of feedback since Aug 10.

We have not been able to reproduce it in our labs. Many of our systems run NVidia drivers/cards. We will be doing some private builds with users that are having the issue in a effort to track it down.

On my HP computer with Vista SP1, Nvidia, SAS Pro my CPU is jumping from 0 to 18 % constantly. But on my other HP computer with XP SP3, Nvidia, SAS Pro my CPU is only jumping from 0 to 2 %.

Why does SAS use 18% CPU on my Vista computer and only 2 % on my XP computer, both computers have the same Nvidia grafikcard.