Mike Turner

High CPU Usage

I know that this has been raised before, but my Pentium 4 PC, using Vista SP1 is currently running at over 50% processor usage, constantly, and it is down to SuperAntiSpyware.

You claim that the tools that I am using (eg Task Manager and Performance Monitor) don't give accurate results, but, even if they are not accurate, they still indicate that a lot of CPU time is being used. I can also tell that the CPU is working hard, from the speed of the cooling fan.

You also claim that it doesn't matter. While I wouldn't be using the processor for anything else (the PC is otherwise idle), it does mean that I am using more electricity than I should, both for the processing, and to run the cooling fan.

When I start SuperAntiSpyware real time protection, the processor usage starts at about 10%. This slowly increases as time goes by, so that, after about 24 hours, it is, as now, running at above 50%, constantly.

Please don't fob me off with the usual excuses. I really think that there is a problem here that you need to investigate. Because of this, I have felt the need to turn off real time protection on my main PC. I think that this is a shame, because, in most ways, SuperAntiSpyware is a great product.

Mike.

I have McAfee, but, as far as I am aware, that should not conflict with SuperAntiSpyware.

Mike.

1.Is there any option in McAfee so that it doesn't monitor SUPERAnti Spyware's activity? If there is, try it.

2.Try disabling temporary McAfee's protection, does the problem still occur?

1) Keep tapping F8 as soon as you turn on the computer.

2) From the boot menu that appears, use the arrow keys to select "Safe Mode", then press enter.

3) Open up SAS and see if the problem persists in that mode.

The problem does not occur in safe mode. I have also tried safe mode with networking, and it does not occur there, either.

In normal mode, just to make sure that it was not a conflict with McAfee, I uninstalled McAfee, but it still occurs. I even tried disabling Windows Defender real time protection, and UAC, but it still occurs.

This PC has very little on it (just Vista, Office 2007, Firefox, and one or two other small things), so I don't see much to conflict with SAS.

As the problem seems to affect my main PC as well, (also Vista), I don't think that it can be an unusual problem.

Perhaps most people don't notice it because they don't have Performance Monitor running all the time. (And - Yes, I have tried without Performance Monitor running all the time, and the problem still occurs).

Can anyone from SAS offer any comments, please?

I run SAS Pro on a Vista Home Premium system (Athlon 64 X2 dual core, 3Mb RAM) without any problem. Windows firewall is on and Defender is running. The UAC is only partially on. In Task Manager SAS is using about 500Kb of memory and the CPU usage ranges from 0-1% with real time protection on. Since you state that everything seems to be fine in safe mode, the only conclusion can be that "something" is interfering with SAS in normal mode. Problem is of course finding what it is.

I think that I may have found what is triggering this problem in SuperAntiSpyware.

If I disable the Nvidia graphics driver, the problem seems to go away. This would explain why I don't get the problem in safe mode.

Nightcap - what type of graphics card do you have?

Can anyone from SuperAntiSpyware comment on this, please?

I think that I may have found what is triggering this problem in SuperAntiSpyware.

If I disable the Nvidia graphics driver, the problem seems to go away. This would explain why I don't get the problem in safe mode.

Can anyone from SuperAntiSpyware comment on this, please?

What specific graphics driver?

An ATI Radeon. Funny thing is that I wanted to ask you about your graphics card too. :D

On the Pentium 4 PC, the card is a Geforce 7600 GS, and the driver version is 7.15.11.6369, dated 11/09/2007. On my main PC, which, I believe, also suffers from the same problem, the card is an 8800 GT, and the driver version is 7.15.11.7519, dated 16/05/2008.

Try updating the drivers. Cause it's a year old now but I really doubt if Nvidia still updates drivers for the GeForce 7600 since it's about two to three years old now.

Release Date: July 9, 2008

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_175.19_whql.html

Supports GeForce Series 5,6,7,8,9

I'd recommend uninstalling the current driver thru add or remove prog. first, reboot, then run driver cleaner or driver sweeper.

I've updated the drivers on the Pentium IV to 175.19, so both PCs are now on the latest, but I still get the problem. Any more suggestions, please?

Surely I can't be the only person with Nvidia drivers and this problem.

I am having the same problem. I just purchased superantispyware and this problem began.

I also have vista and use firefox.

My fan is constantly running and my CPU usage runs in the 40's and 50's.

The only difference is that I have Norton antivirus and firewall.

I would appreciate a solution.

PS- I have no clue what NVIDIA is, so I don't know if I have it, use it, or it is part of the problem.

dbrodsky - Nvidia is the type of graphics card that you have. In Control Panel, click on Appearance and Personalisation, and then Personalisation, and than Display Settings. About half way down the screen, mine says "1. Generic Non-PnP Monitor on NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS", or, on the other PC, "1. ViewSonic VG2021wm-2 SERIES on NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT".

Do you know if it is SuperAntiSpyware that is using the processor?

dbrodsky - Nvidia is the type of graphics card that you have. In Control Panel, click on Appearance and Personalisation, and then Personalisation, and than Display Settings. About half way down the screen, mine says "1. Generic Non-PnP Monitor on NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS", or, on the other PC, "1. ViewSonic VG2021wm-2 SERIES on NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT".

Do you know if it is SuperAntiSpyware that is using the processor?

No. I am not a computer whiz, so I would need step-by-step instruction to determine what is using the processor.

I just know that the CPU values for SuperAntiSpyware would go from 02 to 48, 03 to 51, 05 to 49. It was just spiking up and dropping down rapidly by the second, accompanied by the fan do the same.

I'm just using Task Manager to determine what is using the processor. It sounds as though are using the same thing, but, if you are not, Right-Click on the status bar at the bottom of the screen, and select Task Manager, the select Processes.

Did you look to see if you have Nvidia graphics drivers, as in the previous post?

I'm just using Task Manager to determine what is using the processor. It sounds as though are using the same thing, but, if you are not, Right-Click on the status bar at the bottom of the screen, and select Task Manager, the select Processes.

Did you look to see if you have Nvidia graphics drivers, as in the previous post?

It says:

Generic PnP monitor on NVIDIA GeForce6100 nforce405

I'm just using Task Manager to determine what is using the processor. It sounds as though are using the same thing,

I am using the task manager. I hope we can find a solution.

So, we are both using Nvidia video drivers, and we both seem to be getting the problem. That is very interesting. Thank you, Dbrodsky.

I hope that the good people at SuperAntiSpyware can come up with a solution soon.

Mike.

Hi Mike.

I suggested the Safe Mode test as I suspected a software conflict.

BTW-Good job on disabling the video driver and your troubleshooting techniques.

Just to be clear, you're absolutely sure that when you disable that driver, the issue ceases?

Please check for errors/hangs in Vista's "Event Viewer" as the problem is occurring.

Hello Seth.

Yes - when I disable the Nvidia driver in Device Manager, and reboot, the problem ceases. I have left it disabled for a day, and still the problem does not occur.

Also, Event Viewer shows nothing at all when the problem occurs.

Mike.