movrshakr

Apparent stall on a file during scan

This was to be a question, but while waiting for the forum login confirmation email, it solved itself. But I am posting this for reference of others.

The scan proceeded for awhile, then seemed to stop/freeze at

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Yahoo\Widget Engine\Unzipped\Weather Underground.widget\Weather Underground _ dir.widget\Contents\Weather Underground.js

The stoppage was for an undetermined time, but was over 10 minutes. Before, although not moving through the files extremely fast, you could see the line showing the file being scanned changing. Then it appeared to stop at this file.

While trying to get set up to post here and ask why, the scan window was open underneath the browser window. When I happened to get those windows out of the way, I noticed that the scan was now proceeding; it completed in 54 min scanning C:\files only.

The 58 kb file contains MANY MANY lines like this extract:

Maps[2][4][0]='images/ca/bh.png,127,283,openURL("http://www.wunderground.com/global/BH.html?fromwidget=Y"),BH';

Maps[2][4][1]='images/ca/bs.png,69,348,openURL("http://www.wunderground.com/global/BS.html?fromwidget=Y"),BS';

Maps[2][4][2]='images/ca/cs.png,177,305,openURL("http://www.wunderground.com/global/CS.html?fromwidget=Y"),CS';

Maps[2][4][3]='images/ca/cu.png,95,315,openURL("http://www.wunderground.com/global/CU.html?fromwidget=Y"),CU';

Maps[2][4][4]='images/ca/dr.png,118,396,openURL("http://www.wunderground.com/global/DR.html?fromwidget=Y"),DR';

Maps[2][4][5]='images/ca/es.png,156,278,openURL("http://www.wunderground.com/global/ES.html?fromwidget=Y"),ES';

Maps[2][4][6]='images/ca/gu.png,132,264,openURL("http://www.wunderground.com/global/GU.html?fromwidget=Y"),GU';

Maps[2][4][7]='images/ca/ha.png,118,379,openURL("http://www.wunderground.com/global/HA.html?fromwidget=Y"),HA';

Maps[2][4][8]='images/ca/ho.png,145,281,openURL("http://www.wunderground.com/global/HO.html?fromwidget=Y"),HO';

Is there something about this that would cause the scan to appear to freeze, i.e., do these lines take a very long time to scan for some reason?

When it hits that file, does it try to go check all of the png's listed inside the file, because there are HUNDREDS of those?

Nope. It's likely an error in the drive - we may have a developer contact you if this resolves the issue.

OK, I set for custom scan and pointed it at the folder:

"C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Yahoo\Widget Engine\Unzipped\Weather Underground.widget\Weather Underground _ dir.widget\Contents\"

I then ran the scan both with USE DDA on and with it off. Neither paused at all during the scan. As noted before, the file has been removed and replaced in the folder...I don't know if that caused a change or not.

Also, definitions have been updated a couple of days ago.

This was a different set of conditions as the original stall occurred during a full scan of C:/. I will repeat that when I have an hour or more where I don't need the computer.

I decided to go ahead and do the full C: scan (same type of run as before).

With DDA ON, it stalled at the same file specified in the initial post...it sat at that file for more than six minutes, then I canceled. Disk light was solid on while it was in the "stall" state.

With DDA OFF, it did not pause at that file.

Awaiting instructions.

...Nope. It's likely an error in the drive - we may have a developer contact you if this resolves the issue.

If you meant the DDA change, as I posted on 7-31-08, turning DDA off =did= resolve the issue. Awaiting instructions.

I've been seeing the same thing since installing the last 2 updates on my SuperAntiSpyware Free this week. The scan will hang on a file (never the same file, by the way), then errors out with a recommendation that DDA be disabled. With DDA disabled, the scan runs. However, I can re-enable DDA, scan the individual files and it works.

I've run CHKDSK on my drive and it reports no errors. I've also scanned the drive with avast! Home Edition to eliminate the possibility of a rootkit as well as uninstalled/reinstalled SAS Free.

Again, the scan hangs only started this week with the last 2 definition updates.

Yes, it seems something has happened.

Earlier, I was told here that if turning off DDA solved the problem, they would have a developer get in touch with me. I reported that it did solve the problem, but have heard nothing else from them.

I reported it to SAS Customer Service and they suggested I try the 4.2 pre-release version because it has more debugging options. I'm a little hesitant to try to fix a problem with a beta product, though. I've now scanned my system again with avast! Home Edition, Malwarebytes AntiMalware and Windows Defender - none of them found a problem.

Please note as we have stated repeatedly, OUR Pre-releases are NOT beta's

They are well beyond that stage and have been through exhaustive private testing before being elevated to pr-release status. :)

And, precisely, HOW does differentiating between 'Pre-Release' and 'Beta' help solve the issue outlined in this thread? Do you work for SAS? Then your efforts might be better directed as getting someone to LOOK at the PROBLEM?

You have answered your own question above, "more debugging options" that's how :)

Your assessment of the pre-release being a beta version and implying that it was not worthy of solving the problem or providing information is/was wrong. :) Let's keep it civil, OK? :)

Moderator,OK :wink:

Pandato, I appreciate that pre-release has "more debugging options," but I don't have a clue about how to use them.

I think we are reacting to the fact that even though there seems to be a problem--recent and new--we are not really being asked for feedback to solve the issue...I mean no step by step "do this and tell me the result" problem diagnosis kind of interaction is happening. (Well, a half-bit did happen: I was asked if DDA off solved the problem. It did, and I reported that, then there was no feedback.)

Maybe the diagnosis interaction with us is not needed...that y'all already have a handle on it--but we don't know that, so are left feeling like it isn't being addressed.

Pandato, I appreciate that pre-release has "more debugging options," but I don't have a clue about how to use them.

I think we are reacting to the fact that even though there seems to be a problem--recent and new--we are not really being asked for feedback to solve the issue...I mean no step by step "do this and tell me the result" problem diagnosis kind of interaction is happening. (Well, a half-bit did happen: I was asked if DDA off solved the problem. It did, and I reported that, then there was no feedback.)

Maybe the diagnosis interaction with us is not needed...that y'all already have a handle on it--but we don't know that, so are left feeling like it isn't being addressed.

PM me for the link to the Pre-Release and see if that still has the issue, if so, we will go from there.

I reported it to SAS Customer Service and they suggested I try the 4.2 pre-release version because it has more debugging options. I'm a little hesitant to try to fix a problem with a beta product, though. I've now scanned my system again with avast! Home Edition, Malwarebytes AntiMalware and Windows Defender - none of them found a problem.

We are asking you to try 4.2 pre-release, it's not a beta, it's a pre-release - this means it's already long past beta and just about ready for release.

And, precisely, HOW does differentiating between 'Pre-Release' and 'Beta' help solve the issue outlined in this thread? Do you work for SAS? Then your efforts might be better directed as getting someone to LOOK at the PROBLEM?

The differentiation was made so the user would understand the pre-release is production code almost ready for release and we want to see if the current 4.2 version shows the problem, if so we will proceed from there - there are many changes from version to version and we don't debug older versions as the code is not the same.

My name is Don Fowler. I'm an engineer working on SUPERAntiSpyware. I'm more than happy to work on this issue until it is resolved. If any of the posters are still having a problem and are available to work with me to resolve it, please let me know.

It has been awhile, so I will re-run it and report the results. I currently have the pre-release installed, 4.20.1026. Is that acceptable?

Just for the record, the previous version did not stall with DDA turned off, but did with it on.