Sign in to follow this  
SirJon

Running SUPERAntiSpyware from a booted CD environment...

Hello Nick and thank you for such a fine product. I'm trying to get SUPERAntiSpyware to run with RunScanner on a BartPE CD. RunScanner allows a user to redirect the registry hive to be scanned from the booted CD to the PC's HD. From the booted CD, when RunScanner opens and I select the registry hive from the HD, SUPERAntiSpyware closes. However, SUPERAntiSpyware will open and run normally without the RunScanner program. My question is, why do you think SUPERAntiSpyware is closing quickly after RunScanner redirects the registry hive to scan? I receive no error messages. Thanks.

SirJon - I will have to look into this and see why it would close. We use standard registry reading functions from user-mode (until the next release) so there should not be a problem. Even if a registry read failed, we would just skip it - so what you are experiencing is very odd.

-Nick

I nailed it. It was a weird problem. My XP HD is on drive D:. I have a 98 drive that is drive C:. When using RunScanner and SUPERAntiSpyware with this dual-drive PC, SUPERAntiSpyware looks for 5 Windows System32 files:

hhctrl.ocx

shdocwv.dll

msimtf.dll

msctf.dll

urlmon.dll

By default, it looks for them on the C:\drive instead of the D:\drive (which has XP) and for some reason SUPERAntiSpyware.exe shuts down because it can't find it. Anyway, I copied the files over to the Windows 98 System32 folder (C:\drive) and it scans the remote registry fine now. :wink:

Now if I could just find a way to tell the SUPERAntiSpyware program to look for the files on the D:\drive instead of the C:\drive, the problem would be solved without copying any files over to the 98 drive. :D

Thanks for the update. That is strange as SUPERAntiSpyware does not have any hard coded paths or drives. If you run SUPERAntiSpyware from the XP drive, it should find the files properly. Have you tried running the scanner from the XP drive?

-Nick

I will have to look into this further - nothing is hard coded in SUPERAntiSpywrae, as those files are simply imported by SUPERAntiSpyware (the functions in them).

-Nick

Here is an excerpt of the Filemon.log file.

6350 10:44:35 AM SUPERAntiSpywar:540 OPEN B:\SUPERAntiSpyware\COMRes.dll NOT FOUND Options: Open Access: All

6351 10:44:35 AM SUPERAntiSpywar:540 OPEN B:\SUPERAntiSpyware\CLBCATQ.DLL NOT FOUND Options: Open Access: All

6352 10:44:35 AM SUPERAntiSpywar:540 OPEN B:\SUPERAntiSpyware\COMRes.dll NOT FOUND Options: Open Access: All

6353 10:44:35 AM SUPERAntiSpywar:540 OPEN C:\Windows\system32\shdocvw.dll NOT FOUND Options: Open Access: All

6354 10:44:35 AM SUPERAntiSpywar:540 OPEN C:\Windows\system32\shdocvw.dll NOT FOUND Options: Open Access: All

This is exactly where SUPERAntiSpyware.exe would shutdown on the CD. Once I copied shdocvw.dll into the C:\drive Windows 98 System32 folder, the program opened fine. On the CD, I have a batch file that copies the whole program out to the ramdrv and opens it from there, which is drive B:\. That's why you see the path B:\SUPERAntiSpyware. I found out that the files COMRes.dll and CLBCATQ.DLL aren't necessary for the program to open and run, but it still looks for them in the directory. On my other PC, there is only one HD, so there is no problem opening the program from the CD as the HD has a default drive letter of C.

But remember Nick, your program opens and runs fine on a CD WITHOUT RunScanner, there is no issue and never has been. It's only when RunScanner is opened first on a PC with 2 HD's and the C:\drive has Windows 98 without the neccessary shdocvw.dll file that problems arise. It's a rare issue for users but luckily has a workaround.