EliteKiller

SAS dealings with shady websites

I realize that Brothersoft.com has probably offered to host your software for free (assuming they get affiliate credit for purchases), but they also host an assortment of rogue anti-malware software.

Examples:

Spyware Nuker

http://www.malwarebytes.org/roguenet.php?id=193

(De-listed on Spyware Warrior)

Spyware Hospital

http://www.malwarebytes.org/roguenet.php?id=219

Site Advisor info: http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/brothersoft.com

SAS also appears to have an affiliate deal with Top10REVIEWS which is a shady review site. AV-Comparatives posted a nice article last year regarding questionable review sites and TopTen was on the list. You can sift thru their lousy reviews and draw that conclusion as well.

Does it simply boil down to economics?

I realize that Brothersoft.com has probably offered to host your software for free (assuming they get affiliate credit for purchases), but they also host an assortment of rogue anti-malware software.

Examples:

Spyware Nuker

http://www.malwarebytes.org/roguenet.php?id=193

(De-listed on Spyware Warrior)

Spyware Hospital

http://www.malwarebytes.org/roguenet.php?id=219

Site Advisor info: http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/brothersoft.com

SAS also appears to have an affiliate deal with Top10REVIEWS which is a shady review site. AV-Comparatives posted a nice article last year regarding questionable review sites and TopTen was on the list. You can sift thru their lousy reviews and draw that conclusion as well.

Does it simply boil down to economics?

Brothersoft hosts tens of thousands of products - including SUPERAntiSpyware and MalwareBytes.

MalwareBytes is not the actual "end all" authority on if a product is a rogue or not - each company has their own opinions on these products. I don't believe SpywareNuker is detected by most of the "big boys" - we can run some tests and see who removes SpywareNuker these days (when/if we have time).

As far as TopTenReviews, in the anti-spyware category, they have:

SpySweeper

Counterspy

Spyware Doctor

SUPERAntiSpyware

ZoneAlarm Anti-Spyware

Ad Aware Pro

CA Anti Spyware

Those are the top 7 - certainly none of those products are even close to "shady" or "rogue". The other bottom 3 might not be great products, but I don't believe are "rogue" either (at first glance). In reading their reviews of the "top" products, they are not as in-depth as others, but also don't provide any false statements (from the ones I read).

Sites like TopTenReviews are designed to draw people and and make money, that's clear - but that's what all business is about - people can't do all of this development, analysis, etc. for free.

If this boiled down to just "economics" for us, we could use many of the shady techniques many of our competitors use and make a lot more money - we choose to do what's ethical.

Brothersoft hosts tens of thousands of products - including SUPERAntiSpyware and MalwareBytes.

Marcin & nosirrah of MB said that they are going to disassociate with Brothersoft since there is rogue software being offered. I just assumed that SAS would hold similar standards of integrity.

MalwareBytes is not the actual "end all" authority on if a product is a rogue or not - each company has their own opinions on these products. I don't believe SpywareNuker is detected by most of the "big boys" - we can run some tests and see who removes SpywareNuker these days (when/if we have time).

The same can be said for SAS as well. Point being that I spent maybe 2 minutes picking out a couple of obvious rogue products on Brothersoft. I could easily list others, but I am sure you are more than capable of picking them out as well.

SpySweeper

Counterspy

Spyware Doctor

SUPERAntiSpyware

ZoneAlarm Anti-Spyware

Ad Aware Pro

CA Anti Spyware

Those are the top 7 - certainly none of those products are even close to "shady" or "rogue". The other bottom 3 might not be great products, but I don't believe are "rogue" either (at first glance). In reading their reviews of the "top" products, they are not as in-depth as others, but also don't provide any false statements (from the ones I read).

Sites like TopTenReviews are designed to draw people and and make money, that's clear - but that's what all business is about - people can't do all of this development, analysis, etc. for free.

I stated that the website is shady; not that they were reviewing rogue software. Their review of SAS is completely biased.

http://www.av-comparatives.org/forum/in ... ostID=2836

TopTenReviews is similar, and works by placing those products on higher ranks which affiliate programs offer more money.

http://anti-spyware-review.toptenreviews.com/

SAS - System Performance:  2.5 stars

This is an area where SUPERAntiSpyware does a great job - its small footprint. We found SUPERAntiSpyware takes it easy on system resources. After install, we noticed zero system slowdowns, and our apps and browsers were similarly not adversely affected.

This is something that weighs heavily in our opinion, as software that bogs everything down is like a cure that's worse than the disease. 

Spy Sweeper - System Performance:  4 stars

With such a powerful and versatile anti spyware application, we expected to take a performance hit after installation. We experienced a slight decrease in overall system performance after installing Spy Sweeper on our slower computers (less than 1GB of RAM, less than 1Ghz processor speed), so users should beware that they'll need more memory and processing power than Webroot recommends. Still. Spy Sweeper was our top performer when it came to detecting, preventing, and removing malicious programs.

SAS - Scan Performance: 2.5 stars

Full scan times were minimal, on the order of around 15-20 minutes. Quick scans took even less time, clocking in at around 5-10 minutes.

Spy Sweeper -  Scan Performance:  4 stars

Again, this is where a more powerful computer helps. On our slower systems, full scans took around 30-40 minutes. There were products that scanned faster, but you can always schedule full scans to run when you won't need to use your PC.

How do you explain the ratings?

Marcin & nosirrah of MB said that they are going to disassociate with Brothersoft since there is rogue software being offered. I just assumed that SAS would hold similar standards of integrity.

The same can be said for SAS as well. Point being that I spent maybe 2 minutes picking out a couple of obvious rogue products on Brothersoft. I could easily list others, but I am sure you are more than capable of picking them out as well.

SpySweeper

Counterspy

Spyware Doctor

SUPERAntiSpyware

ZoneAlarm Anti-Spyware

Ad Aware Pro

CA Anti Spyware

I stated that the website is shady; not that they were reviewing rogue software. Their review of SAS is biased and contradictory in several categories.

http://www.av-comparatives.org/forum/in ... ostID=2836

TopTenReviews is similar, and works by placing those products on higher ranks which affiliate programs offer more money.

http://anti-spyware-review.toptenreviews.com/

SAS - System Performance:  2.5 stars

This is an area where SUPERAntiSpyware does a great job - its small footprint. We found SUPERAntiSpyware takes it easy on system resources. After install, we noticed zero system slowdowns, and our apps and browsers were similarly not adversely affected.

This is something that weighs heavily in our opinion, as software that bogs everything down is like a cure that's worse than the disease. 

Spy Sweeper - System Performance:  4 stars

With such a powerful and versatile anti spyware application, we expected to take a performance hit after installation. We experienced a slight decrease in overall system performance after installing Spy Sweeper on our slower computers (less than 1GB of RAM, less than 1Ghz processor speed), so users should beware that they'll need more memory and processing power than Webroot recommends. Still. Spy Sweeper was our top performer when it came to detecting, preventing, and removing malicious programs.

SAS - Scan Performance: 2.5 stars

Full scan times were minimal, on the order of around 15-20 minutes. Quick scans took even less time, clocking in at around 5-10 minutes.

Spy Sweeper -  Scan Performance:  4 stars

Again, this is where a more powerful computer helps. On our slower systems, full scans took around 30-40 minutes. There were products that scanned faster, but you can always schedule full scans to run when you won't need to use your PC.

How do you explain the ratings?

They can choose to be hosted where they wish. Every other major product is listed on Brothersoft, including PC Tools Spyware Doctor and Ad-Aware. Many of the download sites where SAS, MBAM, Ad-Aware, Spybot, etc are hosted also contains "shady" or "rogue" products - that's just the reality of the world.

I never said "we are the be all end all" - I simply stated that MBAM certainly is not. Each company can classifiy things they way they see fit.

The fact that we have over 10 million users shows that our decision making and direction are in fact quite solid. We focus on removing the latest threats and improving our product to product the users. We are not going to chase down every site that hosts a "shady" product and remove our product - just as the other security products don't - we focus on removing spyware.

As for the ratings, I am not the reviewer - we have companies that give us horrible ratings and have no clue what they are talking about, and other companies that give lessor products great reviews - it's really in the eye of the beholder.

Personally - I am going to stick with improving our product and removing spyware to protect our users. We don't "deal" with anyone "shady", we have a solid reputation and will continue that way by having a solid product, providing excellent service and support.

I appreciate your concern, but you know SAS and myself and know we are a solid company and always have been.

SpySweeper-

Stinks in my opinion- uses a lot of memory and is confusing to the average user

Counterspy

This one crashed on a bunch of my clients computers (this was prior to me working on their computers), wound up removing it

Spyware Doctor

Takes forever to load on startup and has a problem crashing and doesn't play nice with some anti virus programs in my opinion

SUPERAntiSpyware

Goes without saying- it is the best and should be at the top of this list.

Ad Aware Pro- SE was great- 2007 is a horror and 2008 got worse

CA Anti Spyware- dunno never used it.

Those are the top 7 - top 1 "superantispyware- yes- top 6 in my opinion sux.

robin