delerious

SAS causing Fatal System Error?

I have a Windows XP Pro computer with SP2 on it. It was working fine, and then I ran a SuperAntiSpyware scan. SAS found a bunch of adware cookies and nothing else. I told SAS to remove the cookies, and then SAS wanted to restart the computer, so I clicked OK. I got the following BSOD on startup, before the login screen:

STOP: c000021a {Fatal system error}

The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000005 (0x00000000 0x00000000).

The system has been shut down.

It happens every time I try to start up Windows now, even if I try Safe Mode or the Last Known Good Configuration option. So I can't login to the computer anymore.

I don't know for sure that SAS caused this, but certainly it is suspicious that the computer worked fine until I ran SAS. Is there any chance that SAS could have done something to any system files?

Yup. They have a bad SASWINLO.DLL. You need to access the drive, however you can, and rename or delete the file. The file is typically located in:

C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware

You should not need to do anything else. Good luck.

Yup. They have a bad SASWINLO.DLL. You need to access the drive, however you can, and rename or delete the file. The file is typically located in:

C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware

You should not need to do anything else. Good luck.

For the record, we don't have a "bad" Winlogon handler. @delerious - are you the user that's running the old 3.2 version of the software that's over a year old?

dagap: THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! I used the Knoppix CD to rename that file, and now I can log in!

SuperAntiSpy: I just checked, and it is version 3.3.1020. Guess I should uninstall that and install the latest version?

dagap: THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! I used the Knoppix CD to rename that file, and now I can log in!

SuperAntiSpy: I just checked, and it is version 3.3.1020. Guess I should uninstall that and install the latest version?

Where did you even get 3.3? It was released in October of 2006...nearly 2 years ago - the only place we see those old builds is crack sites...

I don't go to crack sites. I think I probably did install it in late 2006. I guess your Update feature only updates the definitions and not the program files?

I don't go to crack sites. I think I probably did install it in late 2006. I guess your Update feature only updates the definitions and not the program files?

The autoupdate updates both the program and definitions. Make sure your firewall is allowing SUPERANTISPYWARE.EXE and SSUPDATE.EXE.

I am resurrecting this thread because I am considering purchasing the Pro version for my Windows 2000 machine. But that machine's hard drives are running off a RAID controller, so if I were to experience this SASWINLO.DLL problem on that machine, there would be no way for me to access the drive without logging in to Windows, and the machine would be totally screwed.

If the autoupdate updates both program files and definitions, then how is it that the SASWINLO.DLL was not updated, and I ran into the incompatibility problem that caused me to be unable to log in?

I am resurrecting this thread because I am considering purchasing the Pro version for my Windows 2000 machine. But that machine's hard drives are running off a RAID controller, so if I were to experience this SASWINLO.DLL problem on that machine, there would be no way for me to access the drive without logging in to Windows, and the machine would be totally screwed.

If the autoupdate updates both program files and definitions, then how is it that the SASWINLO.DLL was not updated, and I ran into the incompatibility problem that caused me to be unable to log in?

If you install our current software 4.25.1014, you will be fine.