Anti-Spymaster

Questions about updating SAS Free from 4.0.1154 to 4.1.xxxx

System stats:

XP Home SP2

IE 7.5 (for Windows Updates only)

Firefox 2.0.0.14

AVG Free A/V 7.5 (soon to update to 8.0 Free)

AVG Free Antispyware 7.5 (soon to uninstall, as it's part of AVG Free A/V 8.0)

Spybot 1.4 (soon to uninstall)

Ad-Aware SE 1.06r1 (soon to uninstall)

Questions:

1. Are all the problems I read about here with the new version of SAS and Firefox resolved? (I'd rather wait to update than updating now and then having to do so again for a problem resolution.)

2. Are there any other problems I should be aware about or need to wait to be resolved before updating?

3. Does it matter if I update before or after updating to AVG 8.0 Free (which I won't be doing for another week at least)?

4. Are there any issues with SAS Free and the new AVG 8.0 Free? (EDIT: I just read on the AVG forum that AVG 7.5 will continue to be updated until December! >Whew!<)

5. Do I just update automatically from right-clicking the systray icon and choosing check for updates and then letting it update the program? Or is it better to uninstall and then install the new version? (I think I updated from within the program last time, and that worked fine.)

Sorry for any questions that seem silly. Thanks for all the help! I'm loving SAS Free!

If you have these concerns, you should wait until the official release is out shortly.

I didn't realize this wasn't the official release. I saw that it said on the main page that version 4.1 was the available version now for download. So that's not the official release of it?

And when I right-click on the systray SAS icon and choose "check for updates" -- it tells me that there is a new program update available, and the only two options are to wait and download later or download and install now (I always just close the box with the "x" at the top-right). But it doesn't tell you what exactly is available that will be downloaded and installed.

So what is available at this time through the update withing the program? Not an official release?

And if you choose "download and install the new update" -- will it then tell you what it is *before* you actually choose to download and install it?

How will we know when the official release is out? (Of course, I'll still have the same questions as my first post when that happens... :) )

Thanks!

If you have these concerns, you should wait until the official release is out shortly.

I didn't realize this wasn't the official release. I saw that it said on the main page that version 4.1 was the available version now for download. So that's not the official release of it?

And when I right-click on the systray SAS icon and choose "check for updates" -- it tells me that there is a new program update available, and the only two options are to wait and download later or download and install now (I always just close the box with the "x" at the top-right). But it doesn't tell you what exactly is available that will be downloaded and installed.

So what is available at this time through the update withing the program? Not an official release?

And if you choose "download and install the new update" -- will it then tell you what it is *before* you actually choose to download and install it?

How will we know when the official release is out? (Of course, I'll still have the same questions as my first post when that happens... :) )

Thanks!

The 4.0->4.1 is official, the 4.15 is our pre-release. If you click the Download Update you can see what is new in the update and you can cancel out if you want (not advised).

Thanks for the replies. But that raises a few questions... :)

1. So then how can you tell if you're going to be updated to the official 4.1 release or the 4.15 pre-release without clicking Download Update? If it's bad to back out of that, it seems weird that you have to click that in order to see what you're downloading, doesn't it? Shouldn't there be a way to see what you're being offered to update to without having to do an ill-advised back-out if it's something you don't want to update to? Or am I looking at this the wrong way?

2. So how *do* you update from within the program from 4.0.1154 to the official 4.1 and not the 4.15 pre-release? And is it still best to do so from the updater withing the program?

3. Why is it not advised to cancel out of the "Download Updates"? Has it always been that way? Back when I had 3.9.x, I know that the "check for updates" from the icon in the systray told me about 4.0 and I backed out of it and nothing "bad" happened that I know of at that time (as I ultimately did update from within the program to 4.0). And 4.0.1154 seems to have been working fine all this time. Thoughts?

Thanks again for fielding my questions!

Thanks for the replies. But that raises a few questions... :)

1. So then how can you tell if you're going to be updated to the official 4.1 release or the 4.15 pre-release without clicking Download Update? If it's bad to back out of that, it seems weird that you have to click that in order to see what you're downloading, doesn't it? Shouldn't there be a way to see what you're being offered to update to without having to do an ill-advised back-out if it's something you don't want to update to? Or am I looking at this the wrong way?

2. So how *do* you update from within the program from 4.0.1154 to the official 4.1 and not the 4.15 pre-release? And is it still best to do so from the updater withing the program?

3. Why is it not advised to cancel out of the "Download Updates"? Has it always been that way? Back when I had 3.9.x, I know that the "check for updates" from the icon in the systray told me about 4.0 and I backed out of it and nothing "bad" happened that I know of at that time (as I ultimately did update from within the program to 4.0). And 4.0.1154 seems to have been working fine all this time. Thoughts?

Thanks again for fielding my questions!

Nothing bad will happen - it is just advised to run the latest release of the software - the pre-release versions are not in the update server so you will never be prompted to download those via the update server.

I just went and tried to update the program by choosing "Check for updates..." from right-clicking the icon in the systray -- and although the few times I did this yesterday it said there was an update available and gave me the option of downloading and installing (but then I just clicked the x to close the dialogue box, *without* choosing the download/install option at that time), today when I'm actually ready to update, it tells me there is no update available.

Why would that be? My program version still only shows it as being 4.0.1154, so it didn't get updated without me knowing. Is the update to 4.1 no longer there? Or is something else wrong?

Thanks, Nick!

System stats:

XP Home SP2

IE 7.5 (for Windows Updates only)

Firefox 2.0.0.14

AVG Free A/V 7.5 (soon to update to 8.0 Free)

AVG Free Antispyware 7.5 (soon to uninstall, as it's part of AVG Free A/V 8.0)

Spybot 1.4 (soon to uninstall)

Ad-Aware SE 1.06r1 (soon to uninstall)

Questions:

3. Does it matter if I update before or after updating to AVG 8.0 Free (which I won't be doing for another week at least)?

4. Are there any issues with SAS Free and the new AVG 8.0 Free? (EDIT: I just read on the AVG forum that AVG 7.5 will continue to be updated until December! >Whew!<)

As per (3) AVG 8.0 this one- I have avg 8.0 and have tested all the 4.0-4.1 pre rrlease version of superantipsyware and no hiccup at all from AVG 8.0

As per (4) there are no issues between the two

I am testing AVG 8.0sp1 right now.

If I was you I would wait until the newer version of AVG 8.0 comes out. It fixes a lot of problems that AVG 8.0 has now especially with the active x compatablitly issue if you run spywareblaster and or spybot search and destroy. There is a conflict with AVG 8.0 and this is fixed in sp1

AVG 8.0 looks totally different than avg 7.5 and you need time to adjust to it. Also I recommend not installing the toolbar and doing it as a custom install.

But as said superantispyware free or pro has no problems running with AVG 8.0

The avg upgraded version is still in beta and i believe it is not going to come out until the end of this month but do not quote me :)

robin

Thanks, Robin. I plan on sticking with AVG Free A/V (and Antispyware) until Dec. 31st or as long as they keep updating it. Then I'll go to 8.0 Free (and hopefully know at that point how exactly to do so regarding uninstalling the two old programs and installing/updating to 8.0). And I definitely agree that not installing the toolbar and installing custom is the way to do. I wonder if that will all change by December? I'm PM'ing you a question about this stuff. Hope that's okay.

Nick -- I'm still showing as there being no updates when I try to update SAS from the systray icon. Is the update to 4.1 gone now? Or did I do something wrong by repeatedly (three times) checking for updates that way, then just closing the box that gave you the link that said "Download and install new update" (or something like that) by clicking the "x" in the top-right corner?

(I can't imagine that doing that would somehow make the program not be able to update, right? I'd think you could choose to check for updates and then "x" that box a million times if you wanted, right?)

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Thanks, Robin. I plan on sticking with AVG Free A/V (and Antispyware) until Dec. 31st or as long as they keep updating it. Then I'll go to 8.0 Free (and hopefully know at that point how exactly to do so regarding uninstalling the two old programs and installing/updating to 8.0). And I definitely agree that not installing the toolbar and installing custom is the way to do. I wonder if that will all change by December? I'm PM'ing you a question about this stuff. Hope that's okay.

Nick -- I'm still showing as there being no updates when I try to update SAS from the systray icon. Is the update to 4.1 gone now? Or did I do something wrong by repeatedly (three times) checking for updates that way, then just closing the box that gave you the link that said "Download and install new update" (or something like that) by clicking the "x" in the top-right corner?

(I can't imagine that doing that would somehow make the program not be able to update, right? I'd think you could choose to check for updates and then "x" that box a million times if you wanted, right?)

Any thoughts? Thanks!

We were updating the update servers to 4.15 - they are back on now, so you can auto-update. And yes, you can X out of the box or back out of the updates at any point, any number of times with no issues.

We were updating the update servers to 4.15 - they are back on now, so you can auto-update. And yes, you can X out of the box or back out of the updates at any point, any number of times with no issues.

I had a feeling that was the case. :) Cool...

I'm updating to 4.15 now... Thanks!

check your messages- i just put one in there

robin

Thanks, robin. I'll email you back later today.

No problems with 4.15 that I can tell. Did a scan (as usual, no positives), and it seemed to scan fine. Thanks!

5. Do I just update automatically from right-clicking the systray icon and choosing check for updates and then letting it update the program? Or is it better to uninstall and then install the new version? (I think I updated from within the program last time, and that worked fine.)

I'm new to this forum. Been using free version of SAS for a few months now. So far...so good.

Unless I overlooked it, I don't see the above question that was asked by Anti-Spymaster answered in this thread. Which is the best way (insofar as system stability and maintenance are concerned) to update SAS? Is it simply by installing over the current version or is it better to uninstall the current version and do a fresh install? If the latter, please advise the best approach (use Uninstall in Windows Add/Remove Programs or download and use SAS's special uninstall tool?).

I'm new to this forum. Been using free version of SAS for a few months now. So far...so good.

Unless I overlooked it, I don't see the above question that was asked by Anti-Spymaster answered in this thread. Which is the best way (insofar as system stability and maintenance are concerned) to update SAS? Is it simply by installing over the current version or is it better to uninstall the current version and do a fresh install? If the latter, please advise the best approach (use Uninstall in Windows Add/Remove Programs or download and use SAS's special uninstall tool?).

The best way is to use the built in updater.

The best way is to use the built in updater.

Ok. I've always been told it's best to do a complete uninstall and then fresh install for most programs, particularly those that are security-related. But, I'll follow your instructions and install over my current version.

Thanks.

The built in updater does not install over, it just updates the required components.

Understood. And you folks get an A+ for quick response to forum questions! :D