TheMusicologist

DISABLING SUPERSPYWARE SO I CAN DOWNLOAD ANOTHER PROGRAM

I had purchased Sonic Record Now Music Lab 10.1. In trying to download this program an error message popped up stating that in order for me to download the new program I will have to disable any anti-spyware or anti-virus programs plus disable my firewall. How do I do this so I can download my new program?[/b]

I had purchased Sonic Record Now Music Lab 10.1. In trying to download this program an error message popped up stating that in order for me to download the new program I will have to disable any anti-spyware or anti-virus programs plus disable my firewall. How do I do this so I can download my new program?[/b]

in the task bar on the right hand side- right click each antivirus/antispyware program and either click "close" or "exist"

If you are using windows firewall under xp click on Start/control Panel

Click on the windows firewall icon and uncheck the box to turn it off

In Vista: same place only click on "classical view"

Scroll down till you see the windows firewall icon

Click on it and click on "change settings"

Here you can turn it off or on

Just make sure once you download the software- turn Windows firewall back on and reboot your computer so the programs that you clicked off with again start up properly.

I have a problem with turning off the firewall unless you are on a router. Once you turn it off you are totally open to the world and can wind up with more problems then you care to have.

robin

Could I just raise a question here? Why would any mere download of a file require the turning off of my antivirus, antispyware, and (most particularly) firewall? I've never encountered such a request myself - and if I did, there is no way I would comply with it!

Doesn't it seem suspicious?

Could I just raise a question here? Why would any mere download of a file require the turning off of my antivirus, antispyware, and (most particularly) firewall? I've never encountered such a request myself - and if I did, there is no way I would comply with it!

Doesn't it seem suspicious?

It really doesn't - lots of products say "turn off your A/V or A/S" just in "case".

It really doesn't - lots of products say "turn off your A/V or A/S" just in "case".

I'm shocked! I can understand that advice when it comes to installing new software - but never considered doing it while downloading it. And disabling the firewall seems to be just asking for trouble, as Robin says. It would scare me off, for sure.