epic

Running SAS with multiple user accounts?

Hi there,

I'm running XP SP3 with three accounts: one admin, two limited users.

When I install SAS under the admin account and check the box "Start when Windows starts", SAS starts up whenever I log into the admin account, which I occasionally do for system maintenance etc.

However, SAS does not start when I log into one of the limited user accounts - but this is where I need protection while surfing...

How can I change this behavior so SAS starts up with every login, no matter which account?

regards

epic

Hi there,

I'm running XP SP3 with three accounts: one admin, two limited users.

When I install SAS under the admin account and check the box "Start when Windows starts", SAS starts up whenever I log into the admin account, which I occasionally do for system maintenance etc.

However, SAS does not start when I log into one of the limited user accounts - but this is where I need protection while surfing...

How can I change this behavior so SAS starts up with every login, no matter which account?

regards

epic

Simply start SAS on the other accounts and make sure the Start with Windows box is checked for each account (SUPERAntiSpyware Preferences)

Thanks for your reply!

Fair enough - I knew there had to be a simple solution. :D

You'll also have to enable Real Time protection on the accounts in which SAS Pro wasn't originally installed on.

Thanks for the hint. I appreciate your help!

My basic misconception was that the settings used upon installation under the admin account would also work for the user accounts. I now see that SAS uses individual settings, which is the better approach by far.

i notice that when i boot my computer into my administrator account, if i start SAS manually, i get an alert (from another program) saying that "services is about to load SASENUM.SYS".. however, if i boot into my limited user account and start SAS manually, i don't see the same alert..

it i then log out of my limited user account and then log in to my administrator account, and start SAS, i see the alert, again, "services is about to load SASENUM.SYS"..

i tested this a few times.. i tried changing the "permissions" for the SAS folder, in "c/program files", to see if then i would see the alert about "services is about to load SASENUM.SYS", when i start SAS from within my limited user account, but i still didn't see it.. i do see it if i log out of my limited user account and login to my administrator account, and start SAS..

so, it looks like "SASENUM.SYS" is not able to run from within a limited user account, at least it doesn't appear to run from within a limited user account..

i don't know what "SASENUM.SYS" is for, or if the SAS program functions properly when run from within a limited user account, when "SASENUM.SYS" does not appear to load..

SAS, the vender, does not allow for testing the SAS program to see if it is functioning properly, not without deliberately running malware on one's computer, so i am not able to test to see if SAS functions properly from within a limited user account, or not..

when i say that SAS, the vendor, unlike every other vendor, does not allow for testing the SAS program, i mean that they don't have detections for any test files.. instead, SAS, the vendor, says to run malware on one's computer, to see how SAS handles it (instead of being able to run a test file, like the "eicar" test file, to see how SAS handles it).. like 99% of people, i don't want to run malware on my computer just to see how a program like SAS handles it..

maybe SAS, the vendor, can tell me if "SASENUM.SYS" has any real, useful purpose? maybe it doesn't matter if it won't "load" when SAS is run from within a limited user account?

(i am referring to "SAS pro", with its realtime protection)

since it appears that "SASENUM.SYS" will not load when SAS is run from within a limited user account, and since there is no way for me to test the SAS program, with a test-file, to see if it is functioning properly, i am not currently using SAS's "realtime-protection".. however, if SAS, the vendor, says that it doesn't make any difference whether or not "SASENUM.SYS" is loaded, then i would suppose that it is OK to use the program's (supposed) realtime-protection, when one is running in a limited user account?

here is am image, showing what i see when i start SAS, manually, when i am running in my administrator account.. i don't see the same alert, "services is about to load SASENUM.SYS", when i start SAS from within my limited user account (when booting up and then logging in to my limited user account and then starting SAS, manually)..

note that i will only see the alert when i initially start SAS, after booting up and logging into my administrator account.. if i close SAS, and then restart it, i don't see the same alert a second time..

maybe a workaround for this problem would be to first boot into an administrator account, allowing "SASENUM.SYS" to load, and then switching to a limited user account? i don't know if "SASENUM.SYS" would continue running, and functioning properly, when the user is running as a limited user, or not, in such a case..

sasstartsvc1vc2.jpg