siliconman01

NIS 2007 and SAS?

Does anyone have NIS 2007 (final) running along side SAS with SAS Realtime protection running on Windows XP-SP2 HE?

The reason for my question is that over the weekend I installed a new hard drive, formatted and reloaded XP-SP2 HE. I revved up to NIS 2007 and loaded all my other stuff in. I finally got down to installing SAS Pro just before quitting for the night....never thinking that SAS could result in any problems. Everything had been running quite well for 12-15 hours.

When I got back to my system about 6 hours later, NIS 2007 was toast. The startup registry entry for ccapp.exe (NIS module) was gone and so was ccapp.exe in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared.

SAS showed nothing quarantined. I took out SAS and had to remove/re-install NIS 2007. Everything has been operating well for the past 30+ hours...without SAS. I'm leary to re-install SAS Pro again.

Would appreciate hearing if any others have this combo working okay. I know NIS 2007 is now openly stating that users should not have Spy Sweeper or Spybot S&D running along side NIS 2007. So is there another anti-spyware program (SAS) that will not play nicely with NIS 2007?

Norton has a history of not playing nice with other antimalware products , being easy to break , being hard to fix and slowing your system down : http://www.thepcspy.com/articles/other/ ... ows_down/3 .

Not only that but its protection is inferior to Kaspersky , BitDefender and NOD32 .

I disinfect/repair windows based systems for a living and hunt malware as a hobby . I have seen thousands of norton "protected" systems and can confirm that about 25% have some kind of norton malfunction . In my hunting of new malware Kaspersky , BitDefender and NOD32 are usually the fastest to respond to new threats/variants and have the highest detection rates for known malware .

I would also recommend using a layered protection system with each layer produced by a different company . For example :

Zonealarm : firewall

SUPERAntiSpyware : active spyware protection

Kaspersky : active virus protection

TrojanHunter : active trojan protection

Norton itself is a target because of its popularity . When a virus is written to cripple software as it attacks Norton is always on that list .

In short I recommend keeping SAS and ditching norton .

nosirrah,

I completely agree with your whole post. I've never encountered an antivirus program as pathetic as Norton. Not just for it's problem code, but also it's poor detection ability while scanning.

In my tests, Nod32, Kaspersky, BitDefender, A-Squared, Ewido, and SAS are far superior to Norton in all aspects.

Does anyone have NIS 2007 (final) running along side SAS with SAS Realtime protection running on Windows XP-SP2 HE?

The reason for my question is that over the weekend I installed a new hard drive, formatted and reloaded XP-SP2 HE. I revved up to NIS 2007 and loaded all my other stuff in. I finally got down to installing SAS Pro just before quitting for the night....never thinking that SAS could result in any problems. Everything had been running quite well for 12-15 hours.

When I got back to my system about 6 hours later, NIS 2007 was toast. The startup registry entry for ccapp.exe (NIS module) was gone and so was ccapp.exe in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared.

SAS showed nothing quarantined. I took out SAS and had to remove/re-install NIS 2007. Everything has been operating well for the past 30+ hours...without SAS. I'm leary to re-install SAS Pro again.

Would appreciate hearing if any others have this combo working okay. I know NIS 2007 is now openly stating that users should not have Spy Sweeper or Spybot S&D running along side NIS 2007. So is there another anti-spyware program (SAS) that will not play nicely with NIS 2007?

There should be no problem with SAS and Norton. Make sure you download our 3.2.1028 from our site and update your defintions.

Thanks much for all your feedback.

I have a current license for KIS 6, but to be honest I haven't been able to get KIS to run smoothly on my system. I've tried the public release 303 and several of the beta up through 397. I had an objective of moving off NIS 2006 to KIS 6. But after many, many hours of fighting KIS, I'm back to NIS 2007. Maybe I'll switch back later, but for now NIS 2007 is running smoothly.

I'll give SAS another try today and see if anything strange occurs again. I feel naked without SAS. :)

I don't like KIS or NIS . I like to have each preventative component produced but a different company to prevent a single attack from crippling multiple protective features at once . When I recommended Kaspersky I was talking about the plain Kaspersky antivirus .

What kind of troubles are you having with KIS6?

And, what modules do you have installed?

I was never able to get the public release version 303 to run smoothly with any other security program such as Spy Sweeper, SAS, or Trend Micro AS. My system was very unstable. I was rebooting 2-3 times a day to get out of lock ups...and my system normally runs 24/7...so it was most annoying. I ripped it out after a week of that and went back to NIS 2006. I had all modules of KIS running and active. I got the opinion from the KIS forum that "it is stupid to run any other security program...KIS protects it all"...just my impression from responses to forum questions from other users at the time. Of course it now seems that Symantec is leaning toward that misconception too. :(

After a couple of weeks back on NIS 2006, I started in with KIS beta versions. If I recall, Build 334 was my first attempt. Same problem with system instability. (And I know the "beta testing" rules...expect problems... because I beta test software routinely). Plus it did not seem to honor custom rules or its own rules for blocking ports or IPs. But I wanted to keep going and did so until I finally pulled off after Build 397 and went to NIS 2007.

I was getting constant alerts when SAS and TH liveupdates ran. It kept making me have to "allow" these...which meant if I wasn't at the 'puter, the updates were blocked. The final straw, however, was that I encountered a corruption of the HLKM/...RUN Default registry key everytime I installed a new beta build. I was told that this was a Microsoft problem and definitely not KIS...or its installer. In 4+ years on XP HE and hundreds of program installs, I've never encountered that. And it is no longer occurring now that KIS is out. Also, I could not even listen to WinAmp's XM radio without it kicking off every 15-20 minutes on my 3 mbit cable modem. Again I had all the modules active. It is my opinion that the 'normal home user" will have a truely rough time working with customizing KIS to maximize security on their system. It's a complicated GUI that takes some real effort to understand and work with.

NIS 2007 is a major improvement over NIS 2004 through 2006 concerning system resource requirements. And it's been running quite well (except for the incident that generated this post originally).

All of this is "my opinion and experience" and I am NOT berating KIS. I just got tired of sitting at my system for hours trying to "feel safe" again. Plus for the first time since originally installing XP, I had to completely reformat and start over to get my system from acting up...not once...but twice.

I finally said "Self, why are you putting yourself through this? You haven't had a single infection in 3+ years with NIS and other security software installed." Sorry for the long response about a non-SAS issue. Just venting a bit because I had high hopes of "stepping up" to KIS. :oops:

Again why not try KAV instead of KIS ?

KAV (Kaspersky antivirus) is not the same as KIS . I have run KAV on several machines and it works well with many other security apps .

I would also recommend cleaning out your registry and file system of obsolete entries of KIS or NIS before you switch to something else . Norton has a removal tool that does a better job than its regular uninstaller . I believe that Kaspersky does as well .

Once the removal tool is run you should recheck the file system for left over files and folders (from safe mode) and delete them . Next run a registry cleanup program like CCleaner , tweaknow or jv-16 . This should make for a smoother transition .

Again why not try KAV instead of KIS ?

Thanks for the suggestion. For the time being, I'm sticking with NIS 2007 because I have more pressing issues of a non-computer nature that need to occupy my days as winter approaches. :wink:

I might give it another try when the snows start.