Pandato

Update Servers Active

Update seemed smooth as silk here too, though afterwards I noticed that Event Viewer reported two instances of error 7000: "the SASDIFSV service failed to start" because "Cannot create a file when that file already exists". (The two errors occurred just before, and just after, Windows Defender asked permission for the driver change.)

There have been no further instances of that error, but then, I don't seem to have an SASDIFSV service running. Should I have?

Update seemed smooth as silk here too, though afterwards I noticed that Event Viewer reported two instances of error 7000: "the SASDIFSV service failed to start" because "Cannot create a file when that file already exists". (The two errors occurred just before, and just after, Windows Defender asked permission for the driver change.)

There have been no further instances of that error, but then, I don't seem to have an SASDIFSV service running. Should I have?

Yes, it should be active after a reboot.

Hmmm. Then it looks like I have a problem. (Although there are no more errors in Event Viewer either at startup or any other time and scans appear to run with no problems).

When I use Task Manager I see SUPERAntispyware.exe as a running process, but that's all. If I check services (using either msconfig, or services.msc), there's nothing there relating to Superantispyware. No sign of SASDIFSV anywhere.

I should add that this is the free version. Should I uninstall and try again? (If so, is it enough to use ADD/REMOVE programs, or should I use the special uninstaller?)

LATER:

I thought this all seemed familiar - it's happened to me before (and to others) - see here:

https://forums.superantispyware.com/view ... iled+start

I assumed, back then, that because the event viewer errors disappeared after a computer restart, that the problem was resolved. It didn't occur to me, back then, to check whether the SASDIFSV service was visibly running. So this is an old, old problem recurring (and quite a common one too, to judge from Google).

I'm not clear about this: what exactly should be visible under running processes and services (apart from SUPERAntispyware.exe), when SAS free is operating normally, with default settings?

Hmmm. Then it looks like I have a problem. (Although there are no more errors in Event Viewer either at startup or any other time and scans appear to run with no problems).

When I use Task Manager I see SUPERAntispyware.exe as a running process, but that's all. If I check services (using either msconfig, or services.msc), there's nothing there relating to Superantispyware. No sign of SASDIFSV anywhere.

I should add that this is the free version. Should I uninstall and try again? (If so, is it enough to use ADD/REMOVE programs, or should I use the special uninstaller?)

LATER:

I thought this all seemed familiar - it's happened to me before (and to others) - see here:

https://forums.superantispyware.com/view ... iled+start

I assumed, back then, that because the event viewer errors disappeared after a computer restart, that the problem was resolved. It didn't occur to me, back then, to check whether the SASDIFSV service was visibly running. So this is an old, old problem recurring (and quite a common one too, to judge from Google).

I'm not clear about this: what exactly should be visible under running processes and services (apart from SUPERAntispyware.exe), when SAS free is operating normally, with default settings?

The only visible process in Task Manager is SUPERANTISPYWARE.EXE, the services won't show up as they are not those types of services, they are kernel drivers.

Ah! Many thanks for this.

So basically, since Event viewer isn't generating error messages, and SAS scans and updates like silk (as far as I can tell) - I can conclude that I don't have a problem?

Ah! Many thanks for this.

So basically, since Event viewer isn't generating error messages, and SAS scans and updates like silk (as far as I can tell) - I can conclude that I don't have a problem?

Correct :)

That's a relief! Thanks for your help, and thanks (yet again) for so persistently making a great program even better.