tin2tin

Warning: SAS Safe mode = boot crash

I'm running the latest free version of SAS and XP SP2

I've asked it to boot in safe mode.

When rebooting there's a flash of a blue screen(crash) and then it reboots again.

It doesn't matter in which mode (safe or anything else with F8 ) - it crashes over and over - and reboots over and over.

In other words XP will not load/open. :(

What can I do?

I'm running the latest free version of SAS and XP SP2

I've asked it to boot in safe mode.

When rebooting there's a flash of a blue screen(crash) and then it reboots again.

It doesn't matter in which mode (safe or anything else with F8 ) - it crashes over and over - and reboots over and over.

In other words XP will not load/open. :(

What can I do?

Boot to last know good configuration - something on your system likley corrupted a Windows component.

Boot to last know good configuration - something on your system likley corrupted a Windows component.

Not possible.

A malware or whatever killed all security software on my computer at ruined the safe mode...

Rebooting with the SAS setting in safemode forced the boot up into a loop where the safe mode crashed it everytime, and the computer rebooted over and over.

Here's how I solved it:

Used a Linux - Live CD with a texteditor to change c:\Boot.ini so it wouldn't boot in safe mode.

Then I ran Bit Defender + Kaspersky online virus scanners.

Then I ran this to restore safe mode: http://blog.didierstevens.com/2007/02/19/restoring-safe-mode-with-a-reg-file/

Then I ran SAS in safe mode - it didn't find the malware.

Then I installed'ed Avast(trial) from a usb-stick and got it to do a pre-boot scanning.

That solved the problem.

Now I can install the various safety sofwares firewall etc. again(after 4 days :evil: ).

My suggestion to you guys is that SAS must check if safe mode is working okay, before it's allowed to reboot with that SAS setting.