Red Storm

New member question

I have been using Super Anti-Spyware for some time now. Both the free and the paid. I did away with those more bloated programs for this one.

I noticed on the Repairs tab, in the General & Start up section there is a feature titled Repair Broken Windows System Restore Service. Since I have been having problems with my System Restore (I have XP Home Edition), I was wondering just how effective this feature is. Thank you!

I have been using Super Anti-Spyware for some time now. Both the free and the paid. I did away with those more bloated programs for this one.

I noticed on the Repairs tab, in the General & Start up section there is a feature titled Repair Broken Windows System Restore Service. Since I have been having problems with my System Restore (I have XP Home Edition), I was wondering just how effective this feature is. Thank you!

What issues are you having? That repair enables the system restore again.

What issues are you having? That repair enables the system restore again.

When I try to restore to an earlier restore point (even a few hours ago) when the computer reboots, I get a message the computer was unable to restore to that restore point. Please try again. When I try again, I get the same message.

That is the inherent flaky behavior of System Restore and is not caused by SAS.

At times SR just can not store the correct information to allow it to safely go back.

Perhaps some temporary file cleanup and a disk check may be of some help but it could potentially be from Antivirus products or similar interfering with the process.

If you have the Windows XP CD you can install NTBACKUP and do a backup with that utility and I've never seen that one fail as long as the system is not having disk or hardware issues.

See if any of these links can provide assistance with correcting System Restore

Troubleshoot System Restore - XP

Some common problems that could cause System Restore not to work properly

Frequently Asked Questions Regarding System Restore in Windows XP

Do I Still Have to Use Backup?

System Restore is no substitute for regularly backing up your data. System Restore comes into play when your computer becomes unstable. System Restore can't be used if your hard drive fails or is melted down in a fire, because the information that System Restore uses is stored on the hard drive itself. To create regular backups of your data and computer system state, use the Backup utility in Windows XP.

If you use Norton try this, it worked for me. Hope it helps! Many users have found that Norton 2006 and later, has been responsible for this error message. It seems there is a security feature in place that prevents outside programs from making system changes that would change Norton's files. To work around this issue, follow these instructions:

<>Temporarily shut down Norton:

Start Norton

Select Options>> Norton Anti-Virus

Select Miscellaneous from the right pane

Scroll down the right pane and locate "How to protect my product"

Uncheck the box titled: Turn protection on for my Symantec product

Click OK

<>Run System Restore:

Go to Start>> All Programs>> Accessories>> System Tools>> System Restore.

Select the option: Restore my computer to an earlier time.

Select a restore point to restore back to.

Click OK

The restore operation will now start. Restart Windows when completed.

<>Turn Norton back on:

Start Norton

Select Options>> Norton Anti-Virus

Select Miscellaneous from the right pane

Scroll down the right pane and locate "How to protect my product"

Check the box titled: Turn protection on for my Symantec product

Click OK

Actually, I never use Norton. My System Restore is now working again. I went to the Dell Forums and found out that the culprit was Avast. They issued a program update that solve my ptoblem. Thanks anyway! :lol: