char971

McAfee BLOCKED & QUARANTINED SAS!!!!!!!!!!

I have McAfee and was doing a virus scan just after installing the pro version ($30) of SAS. Here's what I got. I seen another post that stated someone else virus software did the same thing. IS SAS SAFE? If not I would like a refund!!!!!!!!!

McAfee has automatically blocked and quarantined a Virus.

Details

Detection: W32/Virut.gen.a (Virus)

File Path: C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe

More Info

Computer viruses are self-replicating programs that might alter your files or data. They often appear to be from a trusted sender or to contain benign content.

McAfee recommends that you scan your computer for other threats.

Then I received the following:

McAfee has automatically repaired an infected file.

Details

Detection: W32/Virut.gen.a (Virus)

File Path: C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe

More Info

Computer viruses are self-replicating programs that might alter your files or data. They often appear to be from a trusted sender or to contain benign content.

McAfee recommends that you scan your computer for other threats.

??????????????????????

Char971, This is a false positive and we are on it , Please also contact McAfee yourself as a user of their product and alert them that this is a False Positive. The more reports they get the faster they move. It Appears that some virus scanners are getting a lot of these false positives. Thanks for the "heads up". :)

Be assured that SuperAntispyware is NOT a Virus nor contaminated by one.

IMO you'd be better off ditching McAfee for another AV that uses less resources and offers better detection/removal. All 3 of the popular free AV's (Avira, Avast!, AVG) are superior to McAfee, and you don't have to worry about paying for renewals. Food for thought.....

Thanks for the info. I'll look into them. Yes, McAfee uses ALOT of system resources. I get it free with Comcast internet, so there are no renewals. But I will look into the ones you posted mainly because of the resource issue with McAfee.