Per Machine MSI for Group Policy Deployment

Hello -

We just purchased 250 licenses a week ago for SAS and I am working on creating an MSI for deploying it via group policy. I've run into four issues perhaps someone has a solution for or is aware of an 'enterprise' version of SAS that resolves these.

1) Settings are not updated in registry until SAS is closed. Given the dynamic nature of the registry it seems odd that they are not written immediately. If you end-task SAS the setting changes are not updated.

2) There appears to be no option to store configuration settings in HKLM but instead are stored per user. While I can work around this, it makes the program unsuitable for deployment or management on a large scale via active directory group policy. An associate of mine in another state agency was asking about SAS a couple days ago (I mentioned that we had purchased it) and I had to tell him that until this (and items #3 and #4) is fixed that it probably would be unmanageable for him as his department has >4000 workstations.

3) Automatic update check prompts the user to download and install updates on bootup. I would like a truly silent update. I note that in the registry settings there is a 'UNCUpdateServerPath' key but I cannot find any documentation regarding this. Is is possible to deploy the updates to a file server and have the applications automatically get the updates without prompting?

4) (Related to #2) Setting the application to 'Start when Windows starts' is not accurate. It starts per user logon not when windows starts and is configured per user the first time the user runs it. This means that the first time a new user logs onto the workstation they do not get SAS protection. I fixed that (sort of) by moving the 'Run' entry from HKCU to HKLM and it now starts up automatically for every user, but it is not configured properly.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Korwyn

You could push out the HKCU keys like Terminal Server does potentially.

You should be able to close SAS then relaunch it using a batch or VB/KiX script

Though if being used in a Corporate Environment I agree that it needs a few modifications.

Basically I think it would need a remote console like many Corporate AV applications have where you can control ON THE FLY installs, updates, uninstalls, setting changes, logs, etc.. Policy security based at least in the beginning using Windows policies, but maybe in the future using actual certifications.

You could push out the HKCU keys like Terminal Server does potentially.

You should be able to close SAS then relaunch it using a batch or VB/KiX script

That's what I'm going to do though stopping SAS with another application is turning out to be somewhat tricky. I'm thinking about using KiX to see if the registry keys exist first before launching SAS. If they don't then import the branch containing the settings.

Though if being used in a Corporate Environment I agree that it needs a few modifications.

Basically I think it would need a remote console like many Corporate AV applications have where you can control ON THE FLY installs, updates, uninstalls, setting changes, logs, etc.. Policy security based at least in the beginning using Windows policies, but maybe in the future using actual certifications.

Even without the remote admin stuff, having the environment configurable to be deployed on a machine basis rather than per user would be really helpful.

I purchased licenses for home personal use as well and had to log in on my various machines as each user (We have 11 active user accounts on my home domain) and configure the settings for each - which was annoying. But....this was the ONLY application which detected and cleaned the Vundo infestation that one of my sons got on our main workstation. I considered flogging him publicly for this but decided it would probably land me in jail here in the USA. :lol: I did threaten to suspend his WoW account at which point he became quite apologetic. :twisted:

Hello -

We just purchased 250 licenses a week ago for SAS and I am working on creating an MSI for deploying it via group policy. I've run into four issues perhaps someone has a solution for or is aware of an 'enterprise' version of SAS that resolves these.

1) Settings are not updated in registry until SAS is closed. Given the dynamic nature of the registry it seems odd that they are not written immediately. If you end-task SAS the setting changes are not updated.

2) There appears to be no option to store configuration settings in HKLM but instead are stored per user. While I can work around this, it makes the program unsuitable for deployment or management on a large scale via active directory group policy. An associate of mine in another state agency was asking about SAS a couple days ago (I mentioned that we had purchased it) and I had to tell him that until this (and items #3 and #4) is fixed that it probably would be unmanageable for him as his department has >4000 workstations.

3) Automatic update check prompts the user to download and install updates on bootup. I would like a truly silent update. I note that in the registry settings there is a 'UNCUpdateServerPath' key but I cannot find any documentation regarding this. Is is possible to deploy the updates to a file server and have the applications automatically get the updates without prompting?

4) (Related to #2) Setting the application to 'Start when Windows starts' is not accurate. It starts per user logon not when windows starts and is configured per user the first time the user runs it. This means that the first time a new user logs onto the workstation they do not get SAS protection. I fixed that (sort of) by moving the 'Run' entry from HKCU to HKLM and it now starts up automatically for every user, but it is not configured properly.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Korwyn

The settings should be saved after the startup wizard completes - I will check into this - if they are not, they will be for 4.1 final release. We could provide and option to store everything under HKLM for such deployment.

Why don't you contact me directly at nicks AT superantispyware.com and I'll discuss this and the other items with you so we can make it happen and work for a larger deployment.

To add my own lowly 2 cents... :wink: I'm just one guy with a few PCs that are running SAS Pro but having the settings and updates run as one set, machine-wide for multiple accounts would be MUCH appreciated. :D

Well I have a mostly functional MSI at this time, but the update prompting is annoying my guinea pig...err...test users. The per-user registry hack is having to wait a little bit due to other issues. Since I want to determine the specific settings anyway, my hack right now will be to write a wrapper which will load my .reg file from \\

BTW, for anyone building MSI's using something like WinInstallLE, VMWARE is a lifesaver. :)