agentwd40

Problem updating program

I recently installed SUPERAntispyware (free version) on my computer in the Administrator profile. I'm using Windows XP and Zone Alarm as my firewall.

For some reason, it will not allow me to update under that profile. When I try to do so, it gives me a box that says "There was an error trying to retrieve definitions. Make sure your firewall is not blocking SUPERANTISPYWARE.EXE from accessing the Internet." I checked in Zone Alarm under Program Control and made sure that it's included as one of the programs allowed access. But as soon as I click on update something blocks it again.

The strange thing is that if I go into another secondary profile, I am able to update with no problem. But every time I log back into the Administrators account, I'm blocked again and so I'm unable to scan that profile with up to date definitions. Any ideas on what might be causing that??

I really need to get this working as I have a problem with some malware or something and need to see if this will detect it. I've run the updated program on the secondary profile and it only detected one adware problem.

Thanks for whatever help or idea anyone can give!

I recently installed SUPERAntispyware (free version) on my computer in the Administrator profile. I'm using Windows XP and Zone Alarm as my firewall.

For some reason, it will not allow me to update under that profile. When I try to do so, it gives me a box that says "There was an error trying to retrieve definitions. Make sure your firewall is not blocking SUPERANTISPYWARE.EXE from accessing the Internet." I checked in Zone Alarm under Program Control and made sure that it's included as one of the programs allowed access. But as soon as I click on update something blocks it again.

The strange thing is that if I go into another secondary profile, I am able to update with no problem. But every time I log back into the Administrators account, I'm blocked again and so I'm unable to scan that profile with up to date definitions. Any ideas on what might be causing that??

I really need to get this working as I have a problem with some malware or something and need to see if this will detect it. I've run the updated program on the secondary profile and it only detected one adware problem.

Thanks for whatever help or idea anyone can give!

ZoneAlarm is blocking it - we see this all the time - remove the rule and allow ZoneAlarm to alert, then tell it to always allow.

Thanks SUPERAntispyware for the reply. Its good to pinpoint what's causing the problem.

After reading your reply, I tried removing the permission and starting over, but the same thing happens anyway. This is not the only program it seems to block when trying to update using the Administrators profile. Others update without any problem at all.

Anyway, thanks again. I'll keep working with it. Maybe I'll have to uninstall Zone Alarm and start over again.

Hi,

I'm having a problem similar, but not exactly the same, as agentwd40. In my case I updated to the latest v4.0.1154 from v3.9 and afterwards I get the message about my firwall blocking update attempts.

BUT, strangely, this only applies if I try to update from the 'Check for Updates...' button on the SAS Main Menu screen. If I click on the Preferences button, go to the Updates tab & click on the 'Check for Updates Now...' button there, it all works fine.

Any idea why it would update from one place & not the other?

Cheers

My update problem is now gone :-)

I decided to 'bite the bullet' & register for the full version of SAS Pro v4 & since I activated the product it now updates correctly from both locations in the software - no idea why but anyway I'm happy now :-)

By the way, the real-time protection available in the registered version is amazingly light on resources. After some other competing products I tried (some of which slowed my PC to a crawl) this really is a breath of fresh air.

Cheers

Thanks for the support in registering! The Check for Updates in the right click menu doesn't show the firewall error (yet), that's why only the button on the main screen shows the error.

By updating, my guess is Zone Alarm (because the MD5/checksum) is different is not auto-blocking it anymore.

Thanks for your reply SUPERAntiSpy,

I think you are right (although I don't actually use Zone Alarm) - after upgrading SAS my firewall did ask for confirmation to accept a new process accessing the Internet and I'm sure that sorted it out.

Cheers