Nolan

SAS 401154 autoupdate dont work on restricted account Vista

Hi

I installed SAs on vista premium and restricted the user account.

Lately i get a prompt that an update is available on every reboot, when i accept update im told that this can only be done from an adm account,

Choosing update left clicking on tray icon updates fine.

whats wrong ?

Should i install SAS on the adm account and afterwards restrict the account or should i install SAS directly on the restricted account?

thanka

Nolan

Hi

I installed SAs on vista premium and restricted the user account.

Lately i get a prompt that an update is available on every reboot, when i accept update im told that this can only be done from an adm account,

Choosing update left clicking on tray icon updates fine.

whats wrong ?

Should i install SAS on the adm account and afterwards restrict the account or should i install SAS directly on the restricted account?

thanka

Nolan

This is a Vista UAC issue and we are addressing it with our upcoming 4.1 release.

Hi

thanks could you answer the latter question too;

Nolan

Hi

thanks could you answer the latter question too;

Nolan

Either one should work.

i can get the updater for regular updates to install on vista but i cannot get the update program to work.

I am using vista firewall and ssupdater.exe is set to allow for both in and out.

In fact I was using trend micro security 14 and thought that was the problem so i uninstalled it. Then i tried to update the program and again nothing happened. This was with no firewall set- I disabled Windows Vista Firewall.

Enabling it and adding ssudater.exe did not make a difference.

I also have windows firewall set to notify me to allow/or not for all programs.

Nothing pops up from Vista Firewall when clicking on the superantispyware update program button.

Funny though, it does allow normal updates in, so I have no idea what is going on. I tried to uninstall and reinstall to see if that made a difference- nope.

It is installed on the administrator account- that is where i did install it.

Oh also if you go into the limited account and click on the update programs the box actually comes up telling me there is an update but when clicked it comes back telling me I need administrator rights to do this.

Now that is strange- because the firewall is allowing it out in the limited account, and yes I can understand in this version it will not allow me to do anything- but still it is popping up with the box.

Why will it not do this in the administrator side where it was installed?

wierd

any suggestions?

robin

i can get the updater for regular updates to install on vista but i cannot get the update program to work.

I am using vista firewall and ssupdater.exe is set to allow for both in and out.

In fact I was using trend micro security 14 and thought that was the problem so i uninstalled it. Then i tried to update the program and again nothing happened. This was with no firewall set- I disabled Windows Vista Firewall.

Enabling it and adding ssudater.exe did not make a difference.

I also have windows firewall set to notify me to allow/or not for all programs.

Nothing pops up from Vista Firewall when clicking on the superantispyware update program button.

Funny though, it does allow normal updates in, so I have no idea what is going on. I tried to uninstall and reinstall to see if that made a difference- nope.

It is installed on the administrator account- that is where i did install it.

Oh also if you go into the limited account and click on the update programs the box actually comes up telling me there is an update but when clicked it comes back telling me I need administrator rights to do this.

Now that is strange- because the firewall is allowing it out in the limited account, and yes I can understand in this version it will not allow me to do anything- but still it is popping up with the box.

Why will it not do this in the administrator side where it was installed?

wierd

any suggestions?

robin

Robin - we covered this in personal e-mail yesterday - I am not sure why you are posting here now on the same issue. As stated, Version 4.1 takes care of the UAC issues for admin mode and checking for updates in limited/standard user mode. It will be available shortly for testing in pre-release.

You will not be able to do program updates from standard/limited user mode as that breaks the Windows paradigm for admin vs limited/standard user - the idea is ONLY the admin can update a software product (product, not definitions) - so that will remain the same for future versions.

robin

Robin - we covered this in personal e-mail yesterday - I am not sure why you are posting here now on the same issue. As stated, Version 4.1 takes care of the UAC issues for admin mode and checking for updates in limited/standard user mode. It will be available shortly for testing in pre-release.

You will not be able to do program updates from standard/limited user mode as that breaks the Windows paradigm for admin vs limited/standard user - the idea is ONLY the admin can update a software product (product, not definitions) - so that will remain the same for future versions.

I posted it here only to see if anyone who reads this and doesn't post much had the same issue.

As for the limited side- i get that part but I am just totally baffled why the heck it will look for a program update in the limited side (yes i know you need admin rights to get the update) but it will not do this on the administrator user side at all.

You told me that the ssupdate.exe should be set in the firewall to allow it out. Well, it is, and as you see it is allowing it out in the limited side but not on the admin side.

So the firewall is not stopping it at all. So this is way strange and i thought maybe someone has a suggstion on what to do if they also so this problem

robin