Ant

Found a possible bug when upgrading SAS free...

On a XP Media Center 2005 machine, I was upgrading SAS Free v3.9 to v4.0 Free while uninstalling Sun JRE v1.5.0u4. SAS installer was running, but got stuck in a loop in prompting me about removing old SAS. Until JRE was finished uninstalling, this was the stuck loop. After finishing it, then SAS was able to uninstall v3 and install v4.

I assume it is because of multiple MSIs were running. I guess SAS didn't like that and should tell user to wait for other installers to finish.

On a XP Media Center 2005 machine, I was upgrading SAS Free v3.9 to v4.0 Free while uninstalling Sun JRE v1.5.0u4. SAS installer was running, but got stuck in a loop in prompting me about removing old SAS. Until JRE was finished uninstalling, this was the stuck loop. After finishing it, then SAS was able to uninstall v3 and install v4.

I assume it is because of multiple MSIs were running. I guess SAS didn't like that and should tell user to wait for other installers to finish.

That's a Microsoft issue, not SAS issue - you should not uninstall multiple applications at the same time....

That's a Microsoft issue, not SAS issue - you should not uninstall multiple applications at the same time....

Right, but shouldn't SAS installer detect this and tell user to let the other installer/uninstaller finish?

Right, but shouldn't SAS installer detect this and tell user to let the other installer/uninstaller finish?

Windows is responsible for the (MSI system) not the applications - the application really has no reliable way of knowing another uninstallation is in process that shouldn't be -the MSIEXEC can often be left running.

Windows is responsible for the (MSI system) not the applications - the application really has no reliable way of knowing another uninstallation is in process that shouldn't be -the MSIEXEC can often be left running.

Ah OK. The reason why I came up with that is because I have seen a few programs do that (e.g., checking other programs including MSI). Thanks. :)