rlprlp

Does your scan never stop?

Hello. No troubles (questions), I just wanted to share an experience.

After updating to the latest version, my scans would never end. I let one scan run overnight, and aborted it, still in progress, the next morning after over nine and a half hours.

After an e-mail conversation with SAS support, it turned out that the problem was the "Use Direct Disk Access" option in the Scanning Control options center. I unchecked that option, and now the scans run normally again.

Help forums have assisted me more times than I can even recall, and I wanted to take this opportunity to possibly help others.

Glad you got some help but I wonder.... DDA is one of the new options of SAS to help make it better. If you've got to turn that option off to get a scan to work correctly then what's the point? Was this some kind of hardware conflict perhaps?

Understanding of course that not every piece of software will work perfectly with all the hardware combos out there.

It's not hardware related, it's NTFS format related. May we have a developer contact you rlprlp? We can have you run a special build to see if it resolves the problem.

Just wanted to report I have the same experience as rlprlp.

Windows XP, SP2 updated, 15 Gb of stuff on C drive.

I updated SAS two days ago (used built in updater), ran a full scan on C drive, and finally stopped it at 3 hours 10 minutes. The previous version only took about 1 hour 20 minutes.

Thought I might have had a bad update, so I snagged the executable from SAS website, deleted SAS from computer (used XP's 'Add or Remove Progam', manual searches for all SAS folders, 3 different registry cleaners.)

Installed fresh with the executable, started full scan and went on about my day. Finally had to stop scan at a little over 6 hours. 'File items' count was over 100,000.

Of note while checking the scan occasionally, it was moving along as fast as the previous good version of SAS, but noticed it eventually scanned the same folders again and again.

Anyway, I applied rlprlp's tip of unchecking "Use Direct Disk Access" (thanks for that, rlprlp!) and got a full scan done in 40 minutes. 'File items' count was, I think, a little over 17,000.

Just wanted to add my 2 cents. That is an impressive speed reduction put into this new version of SAS. Outstanding work.

No, I don't have the problem of multi-hour scans when I uncheck DDA. After unchecking, the scan was 40 minutes, like I mentioned in my previous post.

I just re-read my last post, and the last two lines might be interpreted as being sarcastic. It wasn't meant to be at all. I should have written, "That is an impressive speed increase...", not 'decrease'. Meaning that 40 minute full scan I got was a vast improvement over my previous SAS version time of 1hour 20 minutes.

Anyway, while I was off the computer earlier I put a check mark back in "Use Direct Disk Access (recommended)" and SAS stayed scanning for 2 hours before I stopped it. It gets to the end of the scan and starts from the beginning again. I think it rescanned everything about 3 times this last run LOL.

You mentioned earlier it's NTFS format related. I have the Indexing Service turned off for that drive. Could that be related?

And thanks for your time.

I just joined the Forum here to see if anyone had this neverending scan problem , luckily I found this thread . Today I let a Full Scan run for 11 hours . I had stopped a few previous Quick scans after an hour or so out of concern that something was wrong . I must say I'd like a bit more info from the developers . I have just begun using SUPERAntiSpy a month ago , after a recent update the problem has occurred . I've firstly downloaded the latest release of the Home edition , and have Add/Remove programs open ready to delete SUPERAntiSpy , cleanup and re-install . I hope no damage has been done to my Hard Drive with all this scanning :( If there is any further information it would be great if it was posted as I feel this product is good , and was recommended from many reliable sources , but this present situation of disabling the "Use Direct Disk Access" option in the Scanning Control options center is not an acceptable answer to the question .

Is this a isolated problem ? Which would suggest the System's this is happening on have a similar configuration maybe ? I don't know but would sure like to find out what the root of this is .

I'm running Win XP SP2 ( fully patched) 2.6Ghz Intel Celeron , 512 MB RAM ,40 GB HDD

I just joined the Forum here to see if anyone had this neverending scan problem , luckily I found this thread . Today I let a Full Scan run for 11 hours . I had stopped a few previous Quick scans after an hour or so out of concern that something was wrong . I must say I'd like a bit more info from the developers . I have just begun using SUPERAntiSpy a month ago , after a recent update the problem has occurred . I've firstly downloaded the latest release of the Home edition , and have Add/Remove programs open ready to delete SUPERAntiSpy , cleanup and re-install . I hope no damage has been done to my Hard Drive with all this scanning :( If there is any further information it would be great if it was posted as I feel this product is good , and was recommended from many reliable sources , but this present situation of disabling the "Use Direct Disk Access" option in the Scanning Control options center is not an acceptable answer to the question .

Is this a isolated problem ? Which would suggest the System's this is happening on have a similar configuration maybe ? I don't know but would sure like to find out what the root of this is .

I'm running Win XP SP2 ( fully patched) 2.6Ghz Intel Celeron , 512 MB RAM ,40 GB HDD

Ken - no damage can be done to your drive by scanning. There are a few systems that have troubles with DDA because users run different drive tools that change the way the drive is laid out and we are handling those on a case by case basis - I am sorry that unchecking DDA is "not acceptable" to you - but sometimes it's the only fix as the drive may not be DDA compatible. May one of our developers contact you so we can see what the problem might be on your system? Out of over 7 million updates, we have had very few issues with DDA.

Hi SUPERAntiSpy , thanks for your reply . I was overstating the issue maybe , but unchecking DDA would never had occurred to me as a solution. I would have Un- Installed if I had not found the answer here at the Forum . I don't have any problem now after unchecking the DDA option in scanning options.

Direct Disk Access is obviously not compatible with my system , knowing that out of over 7 million users I am one of only a few is a bit unfortunate , and I appreciate you taking the time to address our few individual cases .

I run Windows XP with some services disabled , such as the Indexing Service , plus Security is implemented heavily on my system .

Thanks for your support :)

Hi SUPERAntiSpy , thanks for your reply . I was overstating the issue maybe , but unchecking DDA would never had occurred to me as a solution. I would have Un- Installed if I had not found the answer here at the Forum . I don't have any problem now after unchecking the DDA option in scanning options.

Direct Disk Access is obviously not compatible with my system , knowing that out of over 7 million users I am one of only a few is a bit unfortunate , and I appreciate you taking the time to address our few individual cases .

I run Windows XP with some services disabled , such as the Indexing Service , plus Security is implemented heavily on my system .

Thanks for your support :)

Can one of our developers contact you and see if we can find out why your system won't work with it properly?

Hello,

I have a similar problem. The first time I ran SAS, my patience lasted for 18 hours before I had to shut down. The second time, I let it run for 1 day and +3 hours before I shut it down. Having found this forum, I thought I had discovered the solution... until I saw that my "Use Direct Access" was already unchecked.

Any other possible solutions?

Thank you,

Marina

Hello,

I have a similar problem. The first time I ran SAS, my patience lasted for 18 hours before I had to shut down. The second time, I let it run for 1 day and +3 hours before I shut it down. Having found this forum, I thought I had discovered the solution... until I saw that my "Use Direct Access" was already unchecked.

Any other possible solutions?

Thank you,

Marina

Submit a support request here and we can run a diagnostic to see what might be happening:

https://www.superantispyware.com/support.html