Sherr

ADD/Remove Programs Does NOT WORK

if i understand this, installing 4.1 using the updater will fix the problem of uninstalling 4.0. (which will now be 4.1)

I am assuming 99% of the people who have superantispyware 3.9 did the upgrade to 4.0 using the installer and did not uninstall the program first. (including myself)

Am I correct nick?

robin

Gosh, this is really hard to follow, even though I've read the whole thread through several times. Could I ask you to clarify three things please, Nick?

1. I had 3.9 and accepted the invitation to upgrade to 4.0 that popped up in the system tray last week. In other words, I did not uninstall 3.9 using add/remove programs beforehand. The version number is now 4.0.1154, but I'm not clear whether those of us who did this will still have the 'old' uninstaller that you mention, or whether we will have the new one.

2. Does this mean that if we tried to uninstall Superantispyware now, we would encounter the problem described in this thread?

3. If so, is the correct thing to do to wait for 4.1, which will sort us out?

This is correct. 4.1 will resolve the issues with the uninstaller, it will be available shortly.

Since I have 3.9 now, have no spyware concerns, and 4.1 is right around the corner, I'm going to stick with 3.9 until that time.

Nick -- Once 4.1 is officially out, should I use the updater in the program to update from 3.9 to 4.1 or will I still need to uninstall 3.9 first? Is there a definitive answer on this?

Thanks for all your help! Even though it's been a little confusing, I'm happy to be using SAS Free! :)

Since I have 3.9 now, have no spyware concerns, and 4.1 is right around the corner, I'm going to stick with 3.9 until that time.

Nick -- Once 4.1 is officially out, should I use the updater in the program to update from 3.9 to 4.1 or will I still need to uninstall 3.9 first? Is there a definitive answer on this?

Thanks for all your help! Even though it's been a little confusing, I'm happy to be using SAS Free! :)

Yes, you can use the autoupdater for 4.1.

looks like you just did this fix in this version 4.0.1154 because i just got an update to the uninstaller problem. How come you did not change it to version 4.1?

robin

looks like you just did this fix in this version 4.0.1154 because i just got an update to the uninstaller problem. How come you did not change it to version 4.1?

robin

Because it's not 4.1, it's just a fix for the installer/uninstaller :)

FYI, I had exactly the same experience that Sherr reported in the very first post. I am confused about the version numbers, unfortunately. I think I had v. 3.9 and now I have v. 4.0.1154. I thought I had merely downloaded the installer to my desktop, but it must have actually been running when I tried to uninstall 3.9.

I don't mean the following as a flame but as sincere feedback. I find it disturbing that even free software would cause this kind of problem. Usually, an uninstaller will stop if the application is running and require me to quit or offer to quit it for me. I think a trouble-free uninstall is a minimum requirement for reputable freeware.

If there have been only 2 cases out of millions (now 3), then I can understand how it would not be caught. Seems like an odd statistic though...

The forum really saved the day. Thanks, everyone.

FYI, I had exactly the same experience that Sherr reported in the very first post. I am confused about the version numbers, unfortunately. I think I had v. 3.9 and now I have v. 4.0.1154. I thought I had merely downloaded the installer to my desktop, but it must have actually been running when I tried to uninstall 3.9.

I don't mean the following as a flame but as sincere feedback. I find it disturbing that even free software would cause this kind of problem. Usually, an uninstaller will stop if the application is running and require me to quit or offer to quit it for me. I think a trouble-free uninstall is a minimum requirement for reputable freeware.

If there have been only 2 cases out of millions (now 3), then I can understand how it would not be caught. Seems like an odd statistic though...

The forum really saved the day. Thanks, everyone.

To be exact, there were/are a few cases out of 7 million users. No application can do everything perfectly on every system - EVERY prodcut out there has problems on someone's system - it's just the reality of software development.

I have concluded that it is not known how many SAS users have problems with the removal of SAS, After all how many users have tried to REMOVE SAS with ADD/REMOVE Programs. Not many I bet.

By the way what is the status of version 4.1.

Sherr

I have concluded that it is not known how many SAS users have problems with the removal of SAS, After all how many users have tried to REMOVE SAS with ADD/REMOVE Programs. Not many I bet.

By the way what is the status of version 4.1.

Sherr

4.1 is available for pre-release testing.

Do what I am doing and don't even bother with this program! This thing is a nightmare waiting to happen!

Good job adding to a several month old thread! SUPERAntiSpyware fully supports uninstalling via the Control Panel Add/Remove programs.

Actually the thread is almost 10 months old from the last post of March 23, 2008 so ...... :roll:

Sounds like "sour grapes" or perhaps a "non reader" to add to a thread that old and a slew of updates since then to boot :)