Sherr

ADD/Remove Programs Does NOT WORK

I attempted to download the latest AntiSpyware update yesterday. After encountering some problems I deceided to REMOVE SuperAntiSpyware and reinstall. However ADD/REMOVE programs said GATHERING INFORMATION. Then a message appears saying " PROBLEM DETECTED WINDOWS NEEDS TO SHUT DOWN. And Windows shuts down. THE ENTIRE SCREEN TURNS BLUE AND THE START TOOL BAR DISAPPEARS. This Microsoft MESSAGE REGARDING THE PROBLEM TAKES UP THE ENTIRE SCREEN. So the only way to get out of this is to POWER DOWN and reboot. This happens every time I try to use ADD/REMOVE SuperAntiSpyware. It would appear that this download has a problem. So how can I REMOVE SUPERAntiSpyware?

Windows XP SP2

Sherr

I just went through the following:

1. No Applications Runing

2.Activated Add Remove Programs

3.Gathering Information Graph Appeared

4.Windows Has been SHUT DOWN to prevent DAMAGE appears

5.Screen turns BLUE without any toolbars

6. Lengthy message appears stating that"PROBLEM IS CAUSED BY SASKUTIL.sys Driver unloaded without pending operations.

7. I am instructed to reboot

There is a PROBLEM with the latest download of SuperAntiSpyware and probably with the latest version.

Help

Sherr

I just went through the following:

1. No Applications Runing

2.Activated Add Remove Programs

3.Gathering Information Graph Appeared

4.Windows Has been SHUT DOWN to prevent DAMAGE appears

5.Screen turns BLUE without any toolbars

6. Lengthy message appears stating that"PROBLEM IS CAUSED BY SASKUTIL.sys Driver unloaded without pending operations.

7. I am instructed to reboot

There is a PROBLEM with the latest download of SuperAntiSpyware and probably with the latest version.

Help

Sherr

Please submit a support request here and we will assist you:

https://www.superantispyware.com/support.html

I went to the SuperAntiSpyware support website and filed a duplicate support request. I received a CSR confirmation a little while ago. The message Problem Caused by saskutil.sys indicates that there is a SuperAntiSpyware software problem. After all how many users will attempt to REMOVE the program. Thank you for any assistance that you can provide in this matter.

Sherr :

I went to the SuperAntiSpyware support website and filed a duplicate support request. I received a CSR confirmation a little while ago. The message Problem Caused by saskutil.sys indicates that there is a SuperAntiSpyware software problem. After all how many users will attempt to REMOVE the program. Thank you for any assistance that you can provide in this matter.

Sherr :

We have had millions of upgrades, etc. and only 2 reports of this issue - please work with our support representative and don't double post as it makes it twice as much work to keep track of things and answer.

The reply received from your technical support is unacceptable. They are telling me to delete the file SUPER ANTISPYWARE from C:Program Files. BUT they did NOT tell me how the file got there or what it is doing. They did not tell me if the file would show up again after I REMOVE SuperAntiSpyware and download again. That is why I double posted.

Sherr

We have found the only case where this could happen (in our labs) - if you do the 4.0 product updates, THEN uninstall via Add/Remove Programs there will be a BSOD because the older installer stopped the SASKUTIL driver, which you can't with the new one (at least not via the windows installer).

Does this happen to be the scenario that any of the users performed?

My original SAS installation was done 3 to 4 weeks ago. All updates were installed since then. Yesterday I removed SASKILUTIL from the SAS file. Today I used ADD/REMOVE to remove SAS. Then I reinstalled SAS. Do you suggest that I attempt to remove and reinstall SAS again or leave it be. Prior to removing SAS I ran SAS without SASKILUTIL. No problems were encountered in doing this.

Sherr

My original SAS installation was done 3 to 4 weeks ago. All updates were installed since then. Yesterday I removed SASKILUTIL from the SAS file. Today I used ADD/REMOVE to remove SAS. Then I reinstalled SAS. Do you suggest that I attempt to remove and reinstall SAS again or leave it be. Prior to removing SAS I ran SAS without SASKILUTIL. No problems were encountered in doing this.

Sherr

If you downloaded the new installer (4.0.1154) and installed, you are all set - you don't want to disable SASKUTIL.SYS, or you won't have as effective protection or detection.

I will not disable SASKUTIL as you suggest. How do I confirm the version number of SAS that I downloaded today. Thank you for assisting me in resolving this matter.

Sherr

I will not disable SASKUTIL as you suggest. How do I confirm the version number of SAS that I downloaded today. Thank you for assisting me in resolving this matter.

Sherr

The version number is on the main screen, in the Help tab and in the bubble text when you hover over the icon :) I assume this resolved the problem you were having?

We have found the only case where this could happen (in our labs) - if you do the 4.0 product updates, THEN uninstall via Add/Remove Programs there will be a BSOD because the older installer stopped the SASKUTIL driver, which you can't with the new one (at least not via the windows installer).

Hope it's okay to ask a question in someone else's thread?

I don't understand this statement here. I have 3.9 and am getting ready to update to 4.0 (through the program updater in SAS itself, as recommended by you). Are you saying that if you update to 4.0 from 3.9 within the program (meaning, without uninstalling 3.9 then installing 4.0 fresh) and then try to uninstall 4.0 at any time in the future, you're going to have problems/BSOD/etc.?

And if that's the case, then how would you uninstall SAS 4.0 in that case?

Please clarify -- thanks!

Hope it's okay to ask a question in someone else's thread?

I don't understand this statement here. I have 3.9 and am getting ready to update to 4.0 (through the program updater in SAS itself, as recommended by you). Are you saying that if you update to 4.0 from 3.9 within the program (meaning, without uninstalling 3.9 then installing 4.0 fresh) and then try to uninstall 4.0 at any time in the future, you're going to have problems/BSOD/etc.?

And if that's the case, then how would you uninstall SAS 4.0 in that case?

Please clarify -- thanks!

It does happen in certain circumstances - we are preparing version 4.1 which will address that issue for all users.

It does happen in certain circumstances - we are preparing version 4.1 which will address that issue for all users.

Good to know. So it sounds like I'd be better off sticking with 3.9.1008 until a solid version of 4.1 is available, correct?

Any reason it's not good to just keep using 3.9?

Thanks again!

Good to know. So it sounds like I'd be better off sticking with 3.9.1008 until a solid version of 4.1 is available, correct?

Any reason it's not good to just keep using 3.9?

Thanks again!

You can uninstall 3.9 and install 4.0 and there are no problems.

In reply to your question how did I remove SAS version 3.9 without getting BSOD. I went into the C drive and listed all files. I located and opened the SAS file folder and then deleated the SASKUL file. Then with ADD/Remove Programs I removed SAS version 3.9. Then I downloaded and am now using SAS 4.0.1154. I assume that 4.0.1154 can now be removed by ADD/Remove programs ahould that ever be necessary.

Sherr

I'm a bit confused here now...

Am I to understand that 3.9 will *not* uninstall cleanly with just using add/remove programs? I think SUPERAntiSpy specifically said in another thread that 3.9 was no issues uninstalling with add/remove programs. Is that not the case now?

Sherr, I thought you had said that you updated your 3.9 to 4.x *then* tried uninstalling. So at that point, you're uninstalling 4.x, *not* 3.9 anymore, right?

Or does Sherr's uninstall process she posted have to be followed to uninstall 3.9 as well? How do you uninstall 3.9.1008 so you don't have any BSOD/issues/etc. if that's the first/only version you've installed?

SUPERAntiSpy?

This is getting confusing...

Thanks!

I'm a bit confused here now...

Am I to understand that 3.9 will *not* uninstall cleanly with just using add/remove programs? I had specifically posted asking about that in another thread prior to installing 3.9 and was told that there was no problem.

Sherr, I thought you had said that you updated your 3.9 to 4.x *then* tried uninstalling. So at that point, you're uninstalling 4.x, *not* 3.9 anymore, right?

Or does Sherr's uninstall process she posted have to be followed to uninstall 3.9 as well? How do you uninstall 3.9.1008 so you don't have any BSOD/issues/etc. if that's the first/only version you've installed?

SUPERAntiSpy?

This is getting confusing...

Thanks!

Do the following.

1. Uninstall SUPERAntiSpyware 3.9

2. Download and install 4.0.1154

Then you will be all set and will have no problems now or in the future.

And do I do so like this?

1. Exit SUPERAntiSpyware.

2. Go to the Windows Control Panel. On Windows XP and earlier operating systems, open Add or Remove Programs.

3. Find SUPERAntiSpyware in the list of installed programs and select it.

4. On Windows XP and earlier operating systems, click the "Remove" button.

5. Follow the instructions, if any, given by the uninstall wizard.

6. Reboot your PC immediately after the uninstall has completed.

And this will work with no issues?

Does it ask you about keeping any files or anything like that? What exactly will it ask, and how should you answer?

Thanks!

And do I do so like this?

1. Exit SUPERAntiSpyware.

2. Go to the Windows Control Panel. On Windows XP and earlier operating systems, open Add or Remove Programs.

3. Find SUPERAntiSpyware in the list of installed programs and select it.

4. On Windows XP and earlier operating systems, click the "Remove" button.

5. Follow the instructions, if any, given by the uninstall wizard.

6. Reboot your PC immediately after the uninstall has completed.

And this will work with no issues?

Does it ask you about keeping any files or anything like that? What exactly will it ask, and how should you answer?

Thanks!

Yes, that will work. You can keep the logs if you want, or you can erase them - your choice.

Approximately three weeks ago I downloaded SAS for the first time. Subsequently there were two updates I never paid attention to the version numbers. After the second update I encountered a minor problem. I never knew if that problem was SAS related. At that time I attempted to use ADD/REMOVE to remove SAS. That's when I first encountered BSOD. At that time I didn't even know what BSOD meant. That's when I joined this forum. So with a four week old SAS program and two SAS updates I found out via the error message on BSOD that SASKUTIL was the problem. That's when I first used the DELETE SAKUTIL procedure. That was last Friday. Now I have SAS version 4.0.1154. When 4.1 is available I will use ADD/Remove Programs to remove 4.0.1154. I'll will then install 4.1. Should I encounter problems removing 4.0.1154 I will DELETE the SASKUL file again. The Dell forum provided assistance during this period.

Approximately three weeks ago I downloaded SAS for the first time. Subsequently there were two updates I never paid attention to the version numbers. After the second update I encountered a minor problem. I never knew if that problem was SAS related. At that time I attempted to use ADD/REMOVE to remove SAS. That's when I first encountered BSOD. At that time I didn't even know what BSOD meant. That's when I joined this forum. So with a four week old SAS program and two SAS updates I found out via the error message on BSOD that SASKUTIL was the problem. That's when I first used the DELETE SAKUTIL procedure. That was last Friday. Now I have SAS version 4.0.1154. When 4.1 is available I will use ADD/Remove Programs to remove 4.0.1154. I'll will then install 4.1. Should I encounter problems removing 4.0.1154 I will DELETE the SASKUL file again. The Dell forum provided assistance during this period.

Ok, so you did have 3.9 before and upgraded - that's great to know as we have NO reported problems with 4.0 being installed and uninstalled. You won't need to do anything now that you have the 4.0 installer, you will have no prolbems installing 4.1 or uninstalling in the future.

Gosh, this is really hard to follow, even though I've read the whole thread through several times. Could I ask you to clarify three things please, Nick?

1. I had 3.9 and accepted the invitation to upgrade to 4.0 that popped up in the system tray last week. In other words, I did not uninstall 3.9 using add/remove programs beforehand. The version number is now 4.0.1154, but I'm not clear whether those of us who did this will still have the 'old' uninstaller that you mention, or whether we will have the new one.

2. Does this mean that if we tried to uninstall Superantispyware now, we would encounter the problem described in this thread?

3. If so, is the correct thing to do to wait for 4.1, which will sort us out?