Anti-Spymaster

Some preliminary q's before installing free version, Thanks!

Hi,

I've read some great recommendations about SuperAntiSpyware Free scanner (especially as an alternative to SpyBot 1.4 and Ad-Aware SE), and had a few questions about it before installing, if that's okay?

I have/use ZoneAlarm 6.5.737 Free, AVG A/V Free, and AVG Antispyware Free (and use Firefox for all browsing except for Windows Updates). Does installing/using SuperAntiSpyware Free 3.9 cause any problems/issues/incompatibility with any of that? Or anything else I should be aware of?

I was also wondering how deep/firmly does the program embed itself in your computer? Meaning, if you had to uninstall it, does it do so easily with no issues, or are there problematic things or stuff left behind, etc.? (I only ask because I thought I had read something about that in the past -- and I have had experience with programs, not antispyware, but a backup program, that so firmly embedded itself in your system, that it's virtually impossible to completely remove it without causing more problems...) No offense meant, just like to get all the info upfront. :)

Thanks for the help! The program sounds great!

SUPERAntiSpyware has no compatibility issues together with the remaining security software.

And when you uninstall SUPERAntisSpyware everything will be removed. And I have never had any issues with uninstalling SUPERAntiSpyware. I have never heard anyone else have had problems either.

I hope you will enjoy this good software. It's absolutly worth a try. :)

Well, since you are going to try SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition, it doesn't matter if you install ten more antispywareprograms. So to try SpywareBlaster at the same time, should work and not cause any problems.

SpywareBlaster is a good software, but you don't need so many security products. You already have two antispyware programs, this including SUPERAntiSpyware, and this is enough. :)

i would use both spywareblaster and SAS. Spywareblaster PREVENTS spyware from infecting your computer, while SAS locates and CLEANS spyware from your computer (although the professional version has realtime scanning to prevent spyware from infecting your system, the free version does not). I have the pro version of SAS and still use spywareblaster. You can never be too safe in my opinion, and spywareblaster doesn't take up system resources.

I forgot to ask:

Do I need to shutdown ZoneAlarm Free 6.5.7.3 and AVG A/V and Antispyware Free (or anything else) before installing SAS 3.9 Free? Or does it not matter?

Also, what are the recommended settings for SAS 3.9 Free after installing? Are those listed anywhere, or just leave it all as is?

Thanks again!

I forgot to ask:

Do I need to shutdown ZoneAlarm Free 6.5.7.3 and AVG A/V and Antispyware Free (or anything else) before installing SAS 3.9 Free? Or does it not matter?

Also, what are the recommended settings for SAS 3.9 Free after installing? Are those listed anywhere, or just leave it all as is?

Thanks again!

You don't need to turn those off - you need to allow SUPERANTISPYWARE.EXe in the firewall for updates. I would just leave all the default settings as-is.

Hi again,

Just I just installed 3.9 and see that now 4.0 is available.

Will 3.9 have definition updates for awhile?

Is it best to wait to see if there are any issues with 4.0 before updating?

And when I do update to 4.0, do I need to uninstall 3.9 then install 4.0, or do I update within the program to 4.0 (right-clicking on the systray icon and choosing update and then choosing download program update)?

Thanks!

Hi again,

Just I just installed 3.9 and see that now 4.0 is available.

Will 3.9 have definition updates for awhile?

Is it best to wait to see if there are any issues with 4.0 before updating?

And when I do update to 4.0, do I need to uninstall 3.9 then install 4.0, or do I update within the program to 4.0 (right-clicking on the systray icon and choosing update and then choosing download program update)?

Thanks!

The definitions work for all versions. You don't need to uninstall - you can use the auto-updater in the product which is recommended.

The definitions work for all versions. You don't need to uninstall - you can use the auto-updater in the product which is recommended.

What's the difference between 3.9 and 4.0? (I didn't see specifics on the site.)

Should I try out 3.9 for a bit before updating to 4.0?

Thanks!

What's the difference between 3.9 and 4.0? (I didn't see specifics on the site.)

Should I try out 3.9 for a bit before updating to 4.0?

Thanks!

Here are the differences:

https://www.superantispyware.com/product ... NTISPYWARE

4.0 is our supported release version, so you should be using that.

Thanks for the reply!

Just out of curiosity, why if the program seems to be fairly drastically changed is it okay and better to update through the program instead of uninstalling 3.9 then installing 4.0? Not that I don't believe you, I'm just curious why that is...? (Since many programs say to do the opposite...?)

Also, why when I clicked on the "check for program updates" in the pop-up menu from the systray icon (and that's when it told me that there was a program update available), why in ZoneAlarm Program control does it show the SUPERAntiSpyware Update Application as running from C:\Documents and Settings\\Local Settings\Temp\SSUPDATE.EXE instead of it running from the C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware folder where the SSUPDATE.EXE is?

How did a copy of that get in the other folder and why is it trying to run from there instead?

Thanks again for helping this inquisitive newbie! :)

Thanks for the reply!

Just out of curiosity, why if the program seems to be fairly drastically changed is it okay and better to update through the program instead of uninstalling 3.9 then installing 4.0? Not that I don't believe you, I'm just curious why that is...? (Since many programs say to do the opposite...?)

Also, why when I clicked on the "check for program updates" in the pop-up menu from the systray icon (and that's when it told me that there was a program update available), why in ZoneAlarm Program control does it show the SUPERAntiSpyware Update Application as running from C:\Documents and Settings\\Local Settings\Temp\SSUPDATE.EXE instead of it running from the C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware folder where the SSUPDATE.EXE is?

How did a copy of that get in the other folder and why is it trying to run from there instead?

Thanks again for helping this inquisitive newbie! :)

Stay with 3.9 then, it's really up to you. SSUPDATE.EXE is our updater and has to be allowed to run.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I'm not saying I want to stay with 3.9. I'm asking about why it's okay/better to update to 4.0 within the program, especially since it seems 4.0 is very different...? Know what I mean?

And concerning SSUPDATE.EXE -- I know it's the updater, I was asking why it was running from that temp folder (and how it got in there) instead of running from the Program Files/SUPERAntiSpyware folder. Does my question make sense?

I may not be explaining myself properly...

Thank you for answering!

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I'm not saying I want to stay with 3.9. I'm asking about why it's okay/better to update to 4.0 within the program, especially since it seems 4.0 is very different...? Know what I mean?

And concerning SSUPDATE.EXE -- I know it's the updater, I was asking why it was running from that temp folder (and how it got in there) instead of running from the Program Files/SUPERAntiSpyware folder. Does my question make sense?

I may not be explaining myself properly...

Thank you for answering!

Yes, use the auto-updater in 3.9 to update to 4.0 - that's what it's there for :) SSUPDATE.EXE is copied to the temp folder so it can over write itself if the updater is updated.

Gotcha!

One other question:

If SuperAntiSpyware Free is just a scanner, what is the advantage of still having it load at startup (as compared to just starting at the time you want to actually run a scan)?

Does it actually do something else beneficial by having it load at startup?

Thanks again for the replies!

Gotcha!

One other question:

If SuperAntiSpyware Free is just a scanner, what is the advantage of still having it load at startup (as compared to just starting at the time you want to actually run a scan)?

Does it actually do something else beneficial by having it load at startup?

Thanks again for the replies!

It makes it instantly available for the scan and having it there helps remind you to scan.

Ah, that makes sense.

So I'm going to run with 3.9 for this week and update to 4.0 this weekend.

Since I'm new to the time it takes to download definition updates and the process, etc. -- I wanted to ask about something concerning that...

I just checked for the definition updates within the program, and it took quite awhile for them to download (but I'm on dial-up), then it somehow automatically was checking *again* for updates and those downloaded pretty quick.

Why did it check/download stuff twice? And how did it check again on it's own right after the first larger stuff downloaded?

Is it sometimes a two part process (download/update, download/update) that runs on it's own after just requesting to download updates once?

(I hope what I'm asking makes sense! :) ) Thanks!

Ah, that makes sense.

So I'm going to run with 3.9 for this week and update to 4.0 this weekend.

Since I'm new to the time it takes to download definition updates and the process, etc. -- I wanted to ask about something concerning that...

I just checked for the definition updates within the program, and it took quite awhile for them to download (but I'm on dial-up), then it somehow automatically was checking *again* for updates and those downloaded pretty quick.

Why did it check/download stuff twice? And how did it check again on it's own right after the first larger stuff downloaded?

Is it sometimes a two part process (download/update, download/update) that runs on it's own after just requesting to download updates once?

(I hope what I'm asking makes sense! :) ) Thanks!

Things didn't get updated twice or checked twice - there are definition upates and the product update check.

Hmmm... I did the update from withing the program when you open it, by clicking check for updates on the bottom left side. It then started downloading updates (and you can see the progress on the blue bar that goes across the screen in the update box). This went pretty slow and took about 3-5 minutes, so I was guessing there were a lot of updates. (This is the second time I've done subscription updates -- the first time took awhile as well, which made sense at the time, since I didn't have any updates with the initial install.) But then after that, by itself, it said it was checking for updates again, and it went through the same process, but the second time, the blue bar went pretty fast.

So that's what I'm talking about. It seemed to check twice on its own, once took awhile and the second went quick. My program was not updated, just the subscriptions/definitions (as my program shows I'm still running 3.9).

Does that make sense? Why would that be? Thanks!

Hmmm... I did the update from withing the program when you open it, by clicking check for updates on the bottom left side. It then started downloading updates (and you can see the progress on the blue bar that goes across the screen in the update box). This went pretty slow and took about 3-5 minutes, so I was guessing there were a lot of updates. (This is the second time I've done subscription updates -- the first time took awhile as well, which made sense at the time, since I didn't have any updates with the initial install.) But then after that, by itself, it said it was checking for updates again, and it went through the same process, but the second time, the blue bar went pretty fast.

So that's what I'm talking about. It seemed to check twice on its own, once took awhile and the second went quick. My program was not updated, just the subscriptions/definitions (as my program shows I'm still running 3.9).

Does that make sense? Why would that be? Thanks!

There are core and trace updates as well, so that could be the source of the two items.