Seth

Updates & Tracking Cookies

From a user on another forum:

I pull the hard drive and connect it to my Vista machine via IDE/USB adapter. I brought up SAS and first thing I did was UPDATE. It came back saying that it is updated. This makes one think that it is up-to-date. Then I remember that I haven't used the machine for a few days and that there should be an update. I also realize that the Ethernet cable isn't connected because I was using it on another machine. So I connect the cable and tell SAS to update and indeed, it finds an update.

Bottom line - SAS doesn't know that it's out-of-date unless it can connect to the home server. I wish it would provide a message saying that it couldn't call home instead of giving the user a false impression that it's up-to-date.

2nd problem - I have this hard drive attached via IDE/USB adapter to my Vista machine so I can run a SAS scan. After the initial scan it said I had to reboot to complete the deletion of malware. So I rebooted and ran a second scan. This time it found 11 Adware cookies and said that I needed to reboot to delete them. I did this again and ran the scan again and again it found 11 Adware cookies and this continued for a total of 4 scans.

Bottom line - why is it finding the same items it said it deleted each time I run a scan and why does it say it's updated when it's not?

From a user on another forum:

I pull the hard drive and connect it to my Vista machine via IDE/USB adapter. I brought up SAS and first thing I did was UPDATE. It came back saying that it is updated. This makes one think that it is up-to-date. Then I remember that I haven't used the machine for a few days and that there should be an update. I also realize that the Ethernet cable isn't connected because I was using it on another machine. So I connect the cable and tell SAS to update and indeed, it finds an update.

Bottom line - SAS doesn't know that it's out-of-date unless it can connect to the home server. I wish it would provide a message saying that it couldn't call home instead of giving the user a false impression that it's up-to-date.

2nd problem - I have this hard drive attached via IDE/USB adapter to my Vista machine so I can run a SAS scan. After the initial scan it said I had to reboot to complete the deletion of malware. So I rebooted and ran a second scan. This time it found 11 Adware cookies and said that I needed to reboot to delete them. I did this again and ran the scan again and again it found 11 Adware cookies and this continued for a total of 4 scans.

Bottom line - why is it finding the same items it said it deleted each time I run a scan and why does it say it's updated when it's not?

No application can know if it's out of date if it can't connect to the home server - we will be putting in an error message to let users know that the connection could not be made.

If the scan is a slave drive scan, that could be why the reboot was required - I will have to look into it.

Thanks for the report. I appreciate it.

Wow.

A reply from the author in about 5 minutes. Customer support doesn't get any better than this.

Thanks Nick. BTW- Do you ever stop thinking about SAS:) lol

Wow.

A reply from the author in about 5 minutes. Customer support doesn't get any better than this.

I never stop thinking about our products - it's the only way to stay on top of everything and properly assist our users! :)

Wow.

I never stop thinking about our products - it's the only way to stay on top of everything and properly assist our users! :)

Ya, that's what I thought.

You rule Nick!