Littlem129

Just Installed, Can't Update, Please Help!

Hello,

I have just installed Super Anti-Spyware Free Edition. It will not update. Core is 2847 and Trace is 1028. I have looked at the other posts about this problem and have tried the suggestions and nothing works. My system is Windows XP Home with KIS 6.0. I am on dial-up. I have tried the trace and the last 12 lines say "Request Timed Out". I have deleted the db files in the application data, (there were no zip files) for SAS like was suggested in another post, but still can not update. I have allowed SAS in KIS firewall, still no update. Can someone please help me? I have read very good things about SAS and would like to try it if I can get it to update. Is there a way to download the update files and install them manually. Does anyone know the specific ports I should allow in KIS for SAS update to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You! :(

Hello,

I have just installed Super Anti-Spyware Free Edition. It will not update. Core is 2847 and Trace is 1028. I have looked at the other posts about this problem and have tried the suggestions and nothing works. My system is Windows XP Home with KIS 6.0. I am on dial-up. I have tried the trace and the last 12 lines say "Request Timed Out". I have deleted the db files in the application data, (there were no zip files) for SAS like was suggested in another post, but still can not update. I have allowed SAS in KIS firewall, still no update. Can someone please help me? I have read very good things about SAS and would like to try it if I can get it to update. Is there a way to download the update files and install them manually. Does anyone know the specific ports I should allow in KIS for SAS update to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You! :(

To update you must disable/pause KIS which will allow the update to proceed normally.

Thank You for the quick reply. If that is the way I have to update SAS I think I will just uninstall it. I don't really like the idea of having to pause my security to do an update for something. Everything else I have installed updates perfectly without having to pause KIS. Anyway Thank You! :(

Thank You for the quick reply. If that is the way I have to update SAS I think I will just uninstall it. I don't really like the idea of having to pause my security to do an update for something. Everything else I have installed updates perfectly without having to pause KIS. Anyway Thank You! :(

Have you allowed both SUPERANTISPYWARE.EXE and SSUPDATE.EXE through the firewall bi-directionally?

I have allowed them both access through firewall. Please excuse me for asking, I don't know that much about KIS firewall, I have just started using it, but what do you mean by-directional. I have been used to McAfee firewall that dosen't ask so many questions. Is there specific remote address that I need to allow for SUPERANTISPYWARE.EXE and SSUPDATE.EXE to allow updates. I tried the suggestion that Mamba said to pause the firewall, but SAS still would not update. Any help you can give me will be appreciated. Thank You ! :)

I have been used to McAfee firewall that dosen't ask so many questions. Is there specific remote address that I need to allow for SUPERANTISPYWARE.EXE and SSUPDATE.EXE to allow updates. I tried the suggestion that Mamba said to pause the firewall, but SAS still would not update. Any help you can give me will be appreciated. Thank You ! :)

Open up anti-hacker within KIS ans scroll down until you see entries for SUPERANTISPYWARE.EXE and SSUPDATE.EXE. Highlight both entries and click on edit to see whether all boxes are ticked, do that for both entries. Although I have a feeling it would be easier to remove both entries completly then allow KIS to add them again when you try to update. Also, just check that Windows firewall is not active.

I did as you said, both boxes are checked. One for TCP and UDP. I uninstalled and reinstalled and still will not update. Windows firewall is off. I have tried all update options. The one in main SAS window says Definitons are up tp date. When I try the update in tray icon it just flashes for about 2 seconds and then nothing. I don't know what is going on. I am about to say to heck with KIS firewall if I can find another firewall that is compatiable with KIS anti-virus. KIS virus is great, but I am not too fond of the firewall. Anyway I still can not to SAS to update. I have a feeling that I am running out of options. Do you think if I downloaded the pro version of SAS that it would be any different, would it update? Thank You for the help, if you have any more suggestions please let me know. You guys are all great for taking the time to help me. I really appreciate it a lot. Thank You ! :)

I did as you said, both boxes are checked. One for TCP and UDP. I uninstalled and reinstalled and still will not update. Windows firewall is off. I have tried all update options. The one in main SAS window says Definitons are up tp date. When I try the update in tray icon it just flashes for about 2 seconds and then nothing. I don't know what is going on. I am about to say to heck with KIS firewall if I can find another firewall that is compatiable with KIS anti-virus. KIS virus is great, but I am not too fond of the firewall. Anyway I still can not to SAS to update. I have a feeling that I am running out of options. Do you think if I downloaded the pro version of SAS that it would be any different, would it update? Thank You for the help, if you have any more suggestions please let me know. You guys are all great for taking the time to help me. I really appreciate it a lot. Thank You ! :)

The Free and Pro are identical as far as updating. I am not sure why you are experiencing these issues with KIS as we have many users using the full suite with no problems. Have you tried uninstalling SUPERAntiSpyware and re-installing?

Yes, I even redownload it, thought maybe there might be a problem there. Still will not update. Thanks for the quick reply. :)

It appears on your system, for whatever reason, KIS is blocking our ability to download. We have tested this in-house with no problem - I am not sure exactly why it is being blocked - it is frustrating when we can't duplicate the problem so we can debug it here :( I apologize for the inconvenience.

I guess I will just wait until I find another firewall to use with KIS and then try SAS again. Thank You for all the help you have given me. Have A Great Day! If anyone knows of a compatiable firewall for KIS anti-virus please let me know. I truly would like to use SAS, I have heard really good things about it. Thank You!

Hi

Just applying reverse logic on your issues to get to the root of the problem.

Maybe if you uninstalled KIS(all components) whilst offline and then enable Windows default firewall.Go back on line and attempt to update SAS.If you are sucessful you know the problem is caused by a KIS component or configuration.

If it fails again then the fault lies either with SAS or possibly another 3rd party software installed on your machine.

If KIS is causing the problem i would think that if you contact KASP via email support or their product support forums they would be able to give you some kind of workaround solution.

KASP support forums>>>

http://forum.kaspersky.com/

HTH :)

PS Don't forget to reinstall KIS :lol:

Thanks for the reply, I have tried everything and I mean everything that anyone and everyone has suggested. I still cannot get SAS to update. I even got brave and turned off all security and that didn't work. I guess it's just not meant for me to be able to use SAS. Maybe when a new version comes out I will try again. Again Thank You to everyone that has replied to my post. You guys are all AWESOME. It is nice to know that there is people out there willing to help someone in need. :!::)

I even got brave and turned off all security and that didn't work

Hi Littlem129 :)

Turning off security features/softwares is one thing but uninstalling in most cases is a different ballgame since it removes services,settings and executables/DLL/drivers etc.A lot of security softwares when switched off still run active in memory to some extent and the only way to remove them totally from the equation is to uninstall them(& reinstall after checking).

This should enlighten you/SAS to where the problem lies,as to to whether there is a conflict of software present.

hth :)

I am having the same problem with the SAS program. The only firewall that I have is the Windows firewall that came with the Windows XP SP2 operating system. I have contacted customer support about this issue and still have not resolved this problem. After reading this post, I turned off my firewall to see if that would help the problem. And sure enuff, it didn't. Customer support is telling me that it sounds like the program is not able to connect to the internet, but so far have not told me how to fix this problem. I have also uninstalled and re-installed the software, but that has not fixed the issue either. I had the same problem with the SPYWARE TERMINATOR program. Should I find another firewall to take the place of the Windows firewall and see if that helps? And if so, how about the ZoneAlarm firewall?

Hi,

You and I seem to have the same problem. I have changed firewalls and still can not update SAS. I had KIS 6.0, then since I could not find a compatiable firewall for KIS Anti-Virus I tried Avast and Zone Alarm. Now I have found a compatiable firewall for KIS which is NetVeda Safety Net and I still have not been able to update SAS in any of these situations. I tried the manual download of the updates and SAS still gives me the same Trace and Core numbers that I first started with, the outdated ones. I have uninstalled SAS because I do not want to use a program that I can not update. I will try again when the next version of SAS comes out. Maybe it will update for me, hopefully. I am not about to buy the Pro version until I can get it to update. I hope you have better luck than I have getting it to update. If customer service gives you a fix for this problem please post it and if it works for you, maybe I will try again and see if it will work for me also. :(

I'm real sorry to hear that you are still having problems with your SAS program. I got mine fixed yesterday. I contacted customer support and they finally ran an analysis on my sytem and found that I had the McAfee Personal Firewall running on my puter. I had uninstalled the McAfee firewall several week ago, but apparently, that file didn't get uninstalled with the rest of them. I played around with my puter and finally got the McAfee firewall folders deleted off my puter and when I started the SAS program up it ran just fine.

In one of the responses that I got from customer service, they told me that the new updates would not show in the main window if you manually download the updates. Which means that the core and trace numbers won't change unless the software updates itself. I would suggest that you contact customer support about your issue and let them help you out with it. They helped me with my problem and they got back with me rather quickly considering I'm using the free edition. They gave me all kinds of suggestions and when none of them worked, they asked to run an analysis on my puter to see if they could find out what the problem was. The analysis is what caught the McAfee firewall running on my puter. If they hadn't of done that, I would of never realized that it was still on here and operating. I highly suggest sending them a request for help.

I hope you get things worked out. Good luck!

I am glad you got the problem straightened out. I am not to technical about computers. How do I run an analysis of my computer. I have had McAfee on my comp also. Maybe I still have something left from it too. Please if you don't mind doing it let me know how to run an analysis. Thank You! :)

Littlem129

Try clicking on the blue link in screenshot(Bottom right of the main GUI of SAS)

1sk7.jpg

Then copy&paste the results page back here.

Hey,

I have already uninstalled SAS when I could not get it to update. Actually I have installed and uninstalled it about 5 times. I have went through all my files and I did not find anything pertaining to McAfee. I ran the uninstaller tool for McAfee after I uninstalled it to catch the left over junk it leaves. I may try reinstalling SAS again and see if I can just use the manual downloads now that I know that the manual update does not show up in the program core and trace. I thought since it was still showing the old ones that the new ones had not installed. If I do reinstall SAS I will post the results here for you. Evereyone has been so great at trying to help me fix this problem, I really appreciate you guys. Thanks to all of you!!! :D

Hello,

I have installed the latest version of SAS and I still can not get it to automatically update. I am not worried about that issue any more, as long as I can manually update SAS.

When I do the manual update, when I go to copy the files to SAS, I am asked if I want to replace the existing file with the new one. Do I do this or do I need to rename the new defs. and leave the old ones in place. :?: Thank You in advance for your help. :D

Hello,

I have installed the latest version of SAS and I still can not get it to automatically update. I am not worried about that issue any more, as long as I can manually update SAS.

When I do the manual update, when I go to copy the files to SAS, I am asked if I want to replace the existing file with the new one. Do I do this or do I need to rename the new defs. and leave the old ones in place. :?: Thank You in advance for your help. :D

You replace the files, and then unzip them as per the instructions on the definition page. No need to make a copy or rename them.