OliverK

Date format all wrong - still

A long time ago I posted a complaint that SAS does not use the Windows location settings to display the dates in the program in the format applicable to the user's country.

I think the response was that it would be fixed soon.

Well I'm now using SAS 4.0.1106 and notice that STILL the date displays in the US format (mm/dd/yyyy) instead of my Australian format (dd/mm/yyyy).

I hate it when US programmers force their horrible date format on the rest of the world.

Why can't SAS just be programmed to use the date format that the user's computer is using. Surely this simple thing can be fixed once and for all - and immediately ?!?!?!?!

Oliver

A long time ago I posted a complaint that SAS does not use the Windows location settings to display the dates in the program in the format applicable to the user's country.

I think the response was that it would be fixed soon.

Well I'm now using SAS 4.0.1106 and notice that STILL the date displays in the US format (mm/dd/yyyy) instead of my Australian format (dd/mm/yyyy).

I hate it when US programmers force their horrible date format on the rest of the world.

Why can't SAS just be programmed to use the date format that the user's computer is using. Surely this simple thing can be fixed once and for all - and immediately ?!?!?!?!

Oliver

In which place are you seeing the incorrect date format? There is no "correct" date format, US or otherwise - it's like complaining about someones language used in their own country - each country does it differently and none are any better than they other......it's fine to request features, but please keep it about feature requests and not bashing individual preferences for date, etc. :)

Hi Admin

I think your reply is a little out of order, admittedly the poster could have chosen better wording but what he is saying is true. I have downloaded and started using your program and in the main gui the dates are us style mm/dd/yy

Those of us in the uk or australia use dd/mm/yy and it is irritating when you have an alternate format thrown at you.

There would seem to be no where to set this in the options, so as the original poster said why cant it take the format of the p.c. then everyone gets it as they want it.

I'm more than happy that SAS continue to concentrate their efforts in finalising V4 to get it ready for final release, it really looks excellent so far !

Yes sure to those of us in the UK and elsewhere the date format is not our prefered choice but this is a detail in my view compared with the programme functionality.

Hi Admin,

yes I agree with Feb - your reply was out of order Admin and I take offence at your tone.

I cannot believe you asked where I was seeing the incorrect date format. It's where ever the date is being displayed in SAS!

Specifically --> (1) the date displayed on the pop-up window when you hold the cursor over the bug icon in the tray (mine shows "01/22/2008" when my system is set for Australian date formats. That date should display as "22/01/2008" obviously. So the format is INCORRECT for my system.

--> and (2) on the SAS "main menu" window in the bottom right corner there are two dates displayed for updates and scan date. Both dates are showing as "01/22/08" instead of "22/01/08" on my system. So the format is INCORRECT for my system.

How much more specific do I need to be?

Obviously when I spoke of a "correct" date format, I am talking about adopting the format that the computer is set to use. I thought that was obvious.

I look forward to this being corrected at some time.

OliverK and Feb:

We regret that the format does not meet with your approval. :( We try and impliment many user suggestions. We do have to prioritize items that have far greater impact upon detection and removal of spyware which, afterall, is the primary objective. :)

Hi Admin

I think your reply is a little out of order, admittedly the poster could have chosen better wording but what he is saying is true. I have downloaded and started using your program and in the main gui the dates are us style mm/dd/yy

Those of us in the uk or australia use dd/mm/yy and it is irritating when you have an alternate format thrown at you.

There would seem to be no where to set this in the options, so as the original poster said why cant it take the format of the p.c. then everyone gets it as they want it.

I am sorry you feel I was out of order, but when someone says "I hate it when US programmers force their horrible date format on the rest of the world. " I feel it should be addressed - just as if I said "I hate the UK time format"......which I would never have said - others from the UK would have taken offense to that. We are "forced" to use UK time formats in MySQL and other items, but don't say "it's a bad format".

I have no problem with users suggesting items, we implement may of them each release - but it should be a suggestion, not an attack on one country's way of formatting something - remember we have readers from ALL OVER the WORLD here.....

The date format in SAS still does not respect the locale set on the user's PC.

Yes, you do have readers/users from "ALL OVER the WORLD" (your upper-case letters) and it is standard practice for an application to display the date to each person in the format that they are used to. It's not difficult!

I'm guessing that after 3 years, which included a redesign of the UI, you are not going to change this. Very sad.