Expresso

Something added to startup?

Hi, Just today SUPERAntiSpyware has been popping up in the corner saying something has been added to the startup and that I need to run a scan. I have run a scan and also run my other antivirus (McAfee) and neither of them have found anything.

What do I do? How do I solve this and stop the pop ups?

Glad that I am not alone. This has just started happening to me. I'm running Superantispyware Professional v 8.0.1024 on windows 10. I'll try and post a screen grab next time I logon.

I've managed to replicate the message and made an image file (jpg) from it but, sorry I'm a newbie here, how do I add the image to my message. The image is a small jpg file but when I drag it to the attachment area at the bottom of my message the upload fails. Thanks.

Hey all, just wanted to chime in as the same thing is happening with me. The "Startup Item Added!" notification started popping up a couple days ago. I've had the pro version of SAS for years and had never seen this. Scans from SAS, MBAM, and McAfee came up clean. 

The upload feature was buggy for me too so I just posted it online. Please see the screen grab from the link below.Thanks in advance for any help!

image.jpg

I had the identical occurrence, starting day before yesterday. This is a Win8.1 system, protected by SAS, MBAM, Norton IS, and Zemana Antilogger. I've looked at Task Manager and at CCleaner's list of startup items, and I see nothing new. I actually did install a new program the day before all this, PST Viewer Pro, but it is not a startup item, and, even if SAS thought that it was, you'd think that, from the next day on, it would not "notice" it anymore.

I have not as yet been able to reproduce this error running Avira and SAS I'm still waiting to see if anything pops up in SAS version 8.0.1024

Can you all check the startup items within the System Investigator and see if there are any changes each time the message has popped up.

15 minutes ago, GuiltySpark said:

Can you all check the startup items within the System Investigator and see if there are any changes each time the message has popped up.

I did check this before finding this forum but just checked again now. It's surprising how many things start in Startup but all the programs listed are what I would expect. It would help if new Startup programs were marked in some way or show the date they were added. I should add that I've not installed any new programs recently or any new startups.

I have some marked Unsigned (orange?), one Expired (blue?) and one Invalid (red) but none of these are new programs. The colours are not always easily recognized.

I've been trying to upload an image but it wont allow me to for some reason I'll have to ask geoff about that.

Under Advanced Scan Settings can you check Scan Inside ZIP Archives and run a scan

1 minute ago, GuiltySpark said:

I've been trying to upload an image but it wont allow me to for some reason I'll have to ask geoff about that.

Under Advanced Scan Settings can you check Scan Inside ZIP Archives and run a scan

I'll try that in the morning. It's too late now here in the UK, about 11.30pm, as it takes ages to run a scan.

9 hours ago, GuiltySpark said:

I didn't get the warning this morning when I logged on to my computer. I ran the scan modified as requested (took 56 minutes) but only detected an Adware Tracking Cookie.

I've been fiddling with this during the morning. Logging on again during the morning I got the warning message again. If there is a pattern to this then I can't see it. I did think that it might be associated with the program T-clock which enhances the clock display in the system tray. This showed up on SAS's Startup list as Red and Invalid (What does Invalid mean? Also what does Expired mean on that list?). If I shut T-clock down and restarted it again the warning message popped up. So I removed the auto-start for T-clock but, lo and behold, the next time I logged on to my computer the warning message reappeared :huh: It beats me.

I've been getting this on multiple computers, ran all the scans, and nothing found. They all started about the same time, couple weeks or so. No answers online. It's so annoying I'm ready to uninstall the software. Unfortunate but you can't trust software that gives you a message without details and running scans over and over to find nothing. Obvious flaw with no urgency to fix. Time to look for alternatives.

Hey, I joined the forum so I could say this same issue happened just now on my computer. I scanned, only found some tracking/adware cookies. I don't know if it is helpful to know this is happening to more people, but I thought maybe it would be.  I also opened msconfig and checked start up, and didn't see anything out of the ordinary.

I'm using the free version, 8.0.1024 

Moved to general section. Also alerted admins to this so they can take a look. I still haven't been able to reproduce the issue in vista