Expresso

Something added to startup?

1 hour ago, SuperSpyWarrior said:

General Section?  Vista?  How about current Windows 10 that everyone is/should be using on PCs.  :-?

General section as its a bug not malware. I run Vista and some others still use older versions of Windows so its good to know if it is only appearing on certain OS versions.

I only use Vista as and when for certain software as I do not like 10 (this is my choice only not the viewpoint of everyone).

Laptop with Windows 8.1 here and everytime I install, update, or uninstall software, SAS says that something was added to the startup and advises to scan the computer. When I check the boot list with Sysinternals' Autoruns, nothing was added. Quite annyoing.

Hi Everybody,

Sorry for the confusion.  If you are having problems with this new feature, you can easily disable the notifications by unchecking the box "Notify me when a startup item is added" under the Real-Time Protection page.

startup-items-added.jpg

Our development team is currently investigating how to better present the information provided in the notifications.  Note that all new installs of SAS 8 now have this option unchecked by default.

Thanks,

Geoff

19 hours ago, geoff said:

Hi Everybody,

Sorry for the confusion.  If you are having problems with this new feature, you can easily disable the notifications by unchecking the box "Notify me when a startup item is added" under the Real-Time Protection page.

Our development team is currently investigating how to better present the information provided in the notifications.  Note that all new installs of SAS 8 now have this option unchecked by default.

Thanks,

Geoff

Thanks geoff for explaining.

However, doesn't unchecking this feature beat the purpose? I think it is important to know when a new item - that wasn't there before - has been added to the startup list.

1. This problem persists, I try and upload a screenshot (file is 0.27kb in size) but the upload fails all the time. I think I am just going to uninstall SAS as this popup is extremely annoying - Using on 3 different machine alongside Mcafee
Edited by Johan·E
To clarify my statement

2 hours ago, Nightcap said:

Thanks geoff for explaining.

However, doesn't unchecking this feature beat the purpose? I think it is important to know when a new item - that wasn't there before - has been added to the startup list.

Yes, you're right Nightcap.  The dev. team is looking at a better way to present the notification so that (presumably) users won't have to turn it off.  I don't have any info on when that will happen -- just passing what I've heard along.

Regards,

Geoff

33 minutes ago, Johan·E said:
  1. This problem persists, I try and upload a screenshot (file is 0.27kb in size) but the upload fails all the time. I think I am just going to uninstall SAS as this popup is extremely annoying - Using on 3 different machine alongside Mcafee

Hi Johan, sorry to hear about this.  We are seeking some support on the screenshot upload issue right now :(.  As to the persisting notification issue -- can you exit, uninstall, and reinstall the product using the latest download: http://cdn.superantispyware.com/downloads/SUPERAntiSpywarePro.exe and let us know if that fixes the problem?

Thanks,

Geoff

FWIW, the same issue is occurring on my Win 7 computer, using the current free version of SAS.  I've unchecked the notification box Geoff referred to as well.

Cheers!

Thanks for letting us know, geoff.  I'm just going to leave mine checked, but not worry too much that I've got malware if I get the message again. I mean, I'll probably run the scan, but there won't be that panicky feeling. :-P

10 hours ago, geoff said:

Hi Johan, sorry to hear about this.  We are seeking some support on the screenshot upload issue right now :(.  As to the persisting notification issue -- can you exit, uninstall, and reinstall the product using the latest download: http://cdn.superantispyware.com/downloads/SUPERAntiSpywarePro.exe and let us know if that fixes the problem?

Thanks,

Geoff

I already did that. The problem persists, I'm afraid

I posted earlier, on the 11th, after first observing the issue on the 9th.  There is nothing new in System Investigator. I came up with the hypothesis that SAS was coming up with that message whenever any program is updated, possibly as a gimmick requested by their sales team--something to remind customers that SAS is "doing something"--or possibly as a way to jog lazy customers into scanning their systems manually (for our own good.) 

Coming back here again, I see a link to an updated version of SAS, with the recommendation to uninstall the old one first. I did that, with Revo. Then, getting ready to install the new version, I noticed something peculiar to me: the file size, 13MB, is substantially smaller than the one I had archived. (I regularly use Macrium Reflect to restore system images, and, to save time, after a restoration, I update all my programs manually whenever possible before re-connecting to the internet. My SAS folder had a SUPERAntiSpywarePro.exe that was 34.7 MB.)

Sorry for my inherent paranoia, but the properties/security tab on my old file shows the signer to be support.com, and it was digitally signed on Sept. 18th. The details tab shows v.6.0.0.1264. The one via the link in this forum does not show a time for the digital signature, but it shows the signer to be AdBlocker.com, and the version shown on the details tab is v.5.0.0.1136. Instead of installing that right away, I decided to compare it with the Pro trial version available here right now for download to the general public, so I downloaded that. The version of SAS Pro on the site right now is 8.0.0.1024, and it shows a digital signature by support.com on November 15th.

The differences might well be due to the fact that the link here is to a program not yet ready for release, but, lacking any other information, I decided not to install it, instead choosing the pro trial version of SAS 8.0.0.1024. It will be a day or two before I'll be able to tell if that message is coming up regularly again.

On 11/16/2018 at 1:14 PM, Johan·E said:

Hi Johan, can you try uploading your screenshot now?  Thanks, Geoff

I would like to add to this discussion. I changed my mail program from Outlook 2010 to Outlook 2016 when this message started. Ever time I open Outlook 2016, this message appears. If I open Outlook 2010, it does not. So it seems to be linked somehow to Outlook 2016 and the launch of it. I have just been closing the error message for now.

SASerrorMessage.PNG

Hi all!

I am happy to see I'm not the only one with this issue. I'm running SAS Pro, v8.0.1024, on a Win 8.1 computer. I am also using Outlook 2010. I didn't see this mentioned anywhere else herein but I also have my SAS set to automatically run a scan every morning. Yet I still get this message almost every morning - and when I go to check, SAS tells me the last scan was run one hour prior. 

So, if I'm understanding this, something happened between the last scan and the time this popup occured. Bizzare. 

And, yes I have tried running (re-running?) a scan after this pops up. A scan that takes about an hour. And nothing appears to be found. 

And I agree with the user that turning off the notification seems a bit silly - we WANT the program to tell us if something is surreptitiously installed!! That's the point!

As seems to be the case with everyone else, this issue began shortly after the last version update. I've used SAS Pro for years and never seen this before. I definitely believe it is a new bug, and really would like to see it addressed!!

I am due to re-subscribe to Pro in about a month. If this issue persists by then, I'll definitely have second thoughts. 

Finally, my wife also uses a Win 8.1 computer with SAS pro, same version. She does NOT run Outlook. She does not get these popups. I've no idea if this is causation or mere relation. 

I am having the same issue, using Windows 8.1/Opera/SAS Free.  It happens on every occasion that I receive a new message notification from either Gmail or Whatsapp Web.  I have reinstalled SAS, but the issue persists.