Sign in to follow this  
CRGibson

Can not update, program uninstalls

I tried to update and got error "Error creating shortcuts, aborting installation."  I tried downloading and reinstalling but get the same message.  I tried the "fix" to correct this error but it cannot work until the programs is installed.  How to fix?

I tried to update and got error "Error creating shortcuts, aborting installation."  I tried downloading and reinstalling but get the same message.  I tried the "fix" to correct this error but it cannot work until the programs is installed.  How to fix?

What version of Windows do you use?

I'm also receiving the same error. Windows 10 Pro x64, build 1803. Previous installations went smoothly without issue; last time I updated was before the April update.

I also have tried the fixes suggested in the very few locations where this error is reported; none of them worked. I suspect Win10 1803 may have to do with it, as is wont to happen...

Hello,

If you are having issues installing on Windows 10 and are receiving the shortcut error please boot into Windows 10 safe mode and attempt the installation. To do so:

1. Press Windows logo key Windows logo key  + I on your keyboard to open Settings. If that doesn't work, select the Start  button in the lower-left corner of your screen, then select Settings .
  2. Select Update & security  > Recovery .
  3. Under Advanced startup, select Restart now.
  4. After your PC restarts to the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart.
  5. After your PC restarts, you'll see a list of options. Select 4 or F4 to start your PC in Safe Mode. Or if you'll need to use the Internet, select 5 or F5 for Safe Mode with Networking.