Sign in to follow this  
TomFace

(SOLVED) Update issues

Past 2 days I've been having update issues, unable to update at all today, starts out slow, gets to about 13% then fails-"download incomplete"- (repeats and fails) "definitions update failed". I use the free edition, version 6.0.1186 database version 11821. Win 7 x64. 

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Yes-update I have uninstalled and am attempting to re-install-my connection seems to be SLOOOOW. I use AT&T U-verse high speed internet-I rebooted my router-deleted cache-and am currently scanning for malware. Trying everything I can think off-checked my download speed, its 22.8 mbps (my service calls for 18 mbps download). Web surfing is OK but downloads seem to be an issue. Will give an update once my scanning is done. Just was checking if it's my issue or an other issue-sounds like mine.

OK-scans are clean-also having issues updating the database for Emsisoft EEK. Surfing the web is OK. Internet provider says they are clean. Also did a system restore (JIC)it did not change anything. I am quite confused. :?

Hi Tom,

Thanks for trying that out and also for providing the additional detail about your issue.  All our updates come from a third-party CDN.  Because individual CDN endpoints serve particular geographic regions, what may be affecting one group of customers may not affect another.  We haven't had reports of any other issues, but we'll keep our eyes open of course.

Do you have another PC or laptop on the same network with SUPERAntiSpyware installed?  If so, how does it perform in downloading updates?  On the PC with the problem, what happens if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking and try to update?

Thanks,

Geoff

Hello geoff-safe mode no gain-I have no other PCs-it's driving me crazy-my AV is able to update and I can surf the web-just can't download to SAS or Emsisoft EEK.

I am frustrated :x -shutting down for the night-see you tmo. :oops:

Well-did another system restore (same restore point) and guess what, things seem (more or less-still a bit slow) OK. Just seem very strange 2 different applications going bonkers at the same time when they always played together before. Did get a notification that mt version of Windows wasn't valid (it is-but I have seem that before-will go to the validation website). Will do some more checking. I think AT&T was having some (local) issues.

Thanks Geoff for your help. 8)

I have similar problem...very slow update last few days...usually I just quit the update and run a scan. This occurs on at least 4 PC's so it's not specific to one computer...all previously had fast enough downloads. My download speed tests @15mbps. On this PC and one other, I let the update downloads complete...or I should say INCOMPLETE as the downloads [mirror1] showed incomplete, tried again...same result and SAS updater showed "definitions update failed" after 2 superslow attempts ended around 20% or so.

Bottom line..SAS has an update site problem..please test, confirm and fix

After I initially posted this, I noticed the poster is using AT&T...I am too...if others indicate AT&T maybe that's source of the problem..could they see some of the definition content as a threat?  But if so, antivirus updates would also raise red flags...I'm using Avast on some PC'S and MSE on others with no update problems so I doubt that...but still.

Update: I downloaded definitions @ http://cdn.superantispyware.com/SASDEFINITIONS.EXE The download completed, but it took a long time...showing average speeds similar to the old AOL dial-up days...well under 100kbps. The downloaded definitions installed OK, so this is an interim solution until SAS gets the defintion source issue fixed. I can share the definitions across my network to update other PC's.

That's interesting.  Thanks for the additional information everybody.  There may be something to the common AT&T provider.  We have some folks in the support system with the same issue -- who are also on AT&T.  We'll investigate and see what we come up with.

In the meantime, are you all able to download the manual definition installer quickly and completely?  If everything is working correctly, this should take maybe 10 seconds or less to download on a broadband connection.

http://cdn.superantispyware.com/SASDEFINITIONS.EXE

Don't hesitate to run it once it's downloaded -- it'll update your definitions  :-P

Thanks,

Geoff

At this time, the problem does seem to be isolated to AT&T.  We have reached out to our CDN provider to see if they have any insights.  We apologize for the inconvenience.

Thanks,

Geoff

Hi All,

I just got a very helpful and detailed response from our CDN provider.  In a nutshell, the problem lies with AT&T and it cannot be routed around by the CDN.  As such, they recommend that AT&T be notified to resolve the issue for the customers who are affected.  I'll talk with our own network engineers to see what else might be done.

Thanks,

Geoff

When I downloaded from http://cdn.superantispyware.com/SASDEFINITIONS.EXE I took a helluva lot longer than 10 sec....See my comment above. I checked my connnection & it was 15mbps...I've been on the net with many sites and no slowness...so it's probably something about the CDN ATT connection that's caused the wheels to fall off. Hope you guys get it fixed. Thanks for following up.

I thought I was special :-P (with a unique issue) , I guess not :oops: .

I supected my connection as it still is slow-but at least I am not timing out.

Thanks Geoff for the continued follow up! (GOOD MAN!) :mrgreen:

When I downloaded from http://cdn.superantispyware.com/SASDEFINITIONS.EXE I took a helluva lot longer than 10 sec....See my comment above. I checked my connnection & it was 15mbps...I've been on the net with many sites and no slowness...so it's probably something about the CDN ATT connection that's caused the wheels to fall off. Hope you guys get it fixed. Thanks for following up.

BOBRGR, just curious do you have AT&T DSL or U-Verse?

Also FYI-My update just failed again!

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the update.  BOBRGR, how has your performance been?  I got a message from the CDN this morning.  After some tweaking, they wanted to know if the performance had improved.

Thanks,

Geoff

It looks fixed to me..At the time of this post, I downloaded updates on 3 PC's at normal, pre-problem speeds. Thanks to SAS & CDN for fixing the problem