DooGie

Installing SAS over a previous build

When you do this you get a message that all previous settings will be retained (probably not the exact wording).

This works very well apart from one setting. I don't want SAS starting with Windows so always uncheck this box.

With every SAS programme update this setting defaults to checked. I can understand the reasoning behind this but if a user unchecks this option then it is an option that he/she has made for a reason.

Please can this setting be retained when updating to a newer build?

Hi,

I'm sure that's something we can do; it's one of those things that's "always been this way".  It's probably a fairly unique situation during major releases like this.  Most users don't disable the option to start with windows, and only a tiny fraction of those folks would need to reinstall, so it just hasn't ever come up before.

Hi,

I'm sure that's something we can do; it's one of those things that's "always been this way".  It's probably a fairly unique situation during major releases like this.  Most users don't disable the option to start with windows, and only a tiny fraction of those folks would need to reinstall, so it just hasn't ever come up before.

I'm sure that some users like myself prefer to keep apps running at startup to a minimum Dave.

I'm not really talking about major releases just updating an existing version to a later build for example version 6 from build 1130 to build 1142

If during the installation of 1142 over the top of 1130 it tells me that my current settings will be saved I would expect that to mean all of my current settings not just most of them.

It's no big deal just a minor annoyance that I thought may be worth bringing up.

Yeah, I agree it should carry over that setting, it just hasn't come up before (in part, I'm sure, due to few users ever changing the default settings).

It's the only setting configured within SAS that isn't actually part of the program configuration (the presence of the entry in the registry's Run key is used to determine if the option is enabled or disabled, and the installer kicks it off by adding that registry value).  It wouldn't be a big deal to just add a secondary value that's stored in the program configuration, and use that to "sync" the registry Run key value.  Just a slightly different thought process to let the option persist across reinstallation.