Sign in to follow this  
coover

Installation: "Error creating shortcuts, aborting installation"

I found two other similar posts from several years ago ... neither seems to give a solution. 

I had a problem updating my SuperAntiSpyware application, getting the error message above. I uninstalled Super, and attempted to reinstall it. Same error. I then deleted SuperAntiSpyware from the ProgramFiles Directory and attempted install. Same Problem. I then deleted AntiSuperSpyware from the User AppData Roaming file, used CCleaner to clean my registry, and attempted install. The result? "Error creating shortcuts, aborting installation". 

Windows 10 Home Build 16299.309, Dell Inspiron 3847, i3-4170, 8 GB RAM

With no answers (so far), I noticed that there is a "portable" installer. I downloaded it and ran it and I got the same error ... "Error creating shortcuts ...". 

That didn't work!

Hello Coover,

Have you tried rebooting your PC and trying again after a fresh reboot? If that does not work, please boot into Windows 10 Safe Mode and attempt the installation. If you are unsure how to boot into Windows 10 Safe Mode you can use the directions below:

1. Press Windows logo key Windows logo key  + I on your keyboard to open Settings. If that doesn't work, select the Start  button in the lower-left corner of your screen, then select Settings .
  2. Select Update & security  > Recovery .
  3. Under Advanced startup, select Restart now.
  4. After your PC restarts to the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart.
  5. After your PC restarts, you'll see a list of options. Select 4 or F4 to start your PC in Safe Mode. Or if you'll need to use the Internet, select 5 or F5 for Safe Mode with Networking.

Thank you very much, the Safe Mode installation worked and SuperAntiSpyware is again running on the computer. 

However, I am curious about why this worked. Safe Mode runs without several of the hardware drivers running. I assume that one or more of those drivers conflicted with the software installation. It doesn't make sense to me that a hardware driver would interfere with software. Can you explain why that happened?

Hello Coover,

I suspect since you previously had a SUPERAntiSpyware process running in the background (Something that needs a reboot after uninstalling the software to remove) that process was conflicting with the new installation and a simple reboot was needed to clear it out.

You will not encounter this issue with future updates.