Sign in to follow this  
casperfox

How does System Investigator work?

Hi. Im new to using the System Investigator thing on SUPERAntiSpyware. Here is my question. How can you see what users say about the files that show up. You can type a comment but how do i see other users comments on that files or program? Thanks!

Hello Casperfox,

System Investigator shows you files of interest on your system located in key areas (most common infection points).  Running programs, installed programs, browser plugins, programs with shortcuts on your desktop, start menu, etc; programs in the registry, temp folders, internet cache folders, document folders, etc.  If it's running or configured to run (automatically), it should be in that list. Everything found on your system will be checked against our whitelist database of millions of files and trusted software publishers to determine what's good and it gets moved to it's own category so you can safely ignore those. Items that aren't in our whitelist ("Unknown Items") are able to be voted on by our users.  Voting will move the item into a different list to narrow down your real list of "Unknowns", and helps our malware researchers add items to our whitelist or identify potential threats or unwanted programs.  Everyone sees vote counters for unknown items to help identify good/bad files.  You can leave a comment/note when you vote and you can view the comments from other users on the file details.SAS Pro Feature:  See changes to the files in these key areas within a selected time period.  If something has messed with a program, or added itself, you'll see right away!

For your question, you can see other users comments by clicking the Magnifying glass(Explore information about this item) and scrolling down to the bottom. If a comment exists, it will be under "User Votes and Comments"

You can leave a comment/note when you vote and you can view the comments from other users on the file details.SAS Pro Feature:  See changes to the files in these key areas within a selected time period.

Well that's the Up-voted comments, now where's the Down-voted comments? I know I've said plenty of crap about Adobe and their Flash Player not to mention Adobe Air. Why don't you get a full list of users comments? I'm pretty sure not too many people would've left anything.

Hey GS,

System Investigator users who have left down-voted comments haven't submitted very helpful stuff or it's been abusive (profanity in all languages possible) or sometimes flat out weird so it's been difficult for us to consistently manage that. We had to filter much of it out at the beginning to eventually we haven't published down-voted comments except in rare circumstances.We did keep the voting system of course as you can see it is active and live.

59 minutes ago, SUPERsupport said:

Hey GS,

System Investigator users who have left down-voted comments haven't submitted very helpful stuff or it's been abusive (profanity in all languages possible) or sometimes flat out weird so it's been difficult for us to consistently manage that. We had to filter much of it out at the beginning to eventually we haven't published down-voted comments except in rare circumstances.We did keep the voting system of course as you can see it is active and live.

Yea sorry about that :P I am surprised though that a lot of the windows system files are rated as unknown, I would've thought they would've been accepted as known good from the start. I suppose it can be difficult when a file path is along the lines of %windows%xxx//xxxx-blah as they could be temp files and therefore possible malware but aren't they digitally signed?