One_II_Coding

A website Idea - Is it worth trying to set this up?

23 posts in this topic

Hey all.

Just a little background info:

I have been running a small website for a couple of months, and saw very little activity. I offered free computer advice and fixes etc. I also wrote a few tutorials on how to fix virus, software, and hardware related issues  etc.  Also a few other random articles related to computers. No one really seemed interested in the site unfortunately, so I removed it. 

I really would like to set up a free service for people, but it never seems to take off.

I have started another site, with a similar theme but am lost as what to post on it, or whether it's even worth the effort. No one found the old site, no one seemed interested in the fix's posted there.

This is probably because of all the over well known computer support sites that already exist drawing traffic etc.

So onto the point of this post. I was wondering if I could ask what this community might like to see from a site such as this?

Would you like A remote support service? A forum? No forum just one page with a list of tutorials?  Both?

And lastly and most importantly, is it even worth setting a website like this up?

Any thoughts or ideas posted are welcome, and much appreciated!

Cheers :D, Owl.

Starting a forum can take what seems forever to get going, if you have some sort of gimmick to attract people (your own software and Tut's for such) it can help especially if that software is forwarded to others to test and advertise via reviews.

The mainstay of having a decent site however is of course traffic. The more members you can get on board the better your chances, this in itself is difficult unless the content is above others.

If you want a hobby then by all means give it a go and try to advertise (without spamming) as much as you can all over, internet, word of mouth, nationwide. Although there is no guarantee of gaining members, either you get lucky or you don't.

18 minutes ago, GuiltySpark said:

Starting a forum can take what seems forever to get going, if you have some sort of gimmick to attract people (your own software and Tut's for such) it can help especially if that software is forwarded to others to test and advertise via reviews.

The mainstay of having a decent site however is of course traffic. The more members you can get on board the better your chances, this in itself is difficult unless the content is above others.

If you want a hobby then by all means give it a go and try to advertise (without spamming) as much as you can all over, internet, word of mouth, nationwide. Although there is no guarantee of gaining members, either you get lucky or you don't.

Hey Guilty,

Yeah, I'm proceeding with this as more of a hobby than a real buisiness. You're defiantly right about gimmicks, I will have to do a bit of brain storming  for one of my own!I guess there are websites out there that review for free? I will look into that.  Some great advice - thank you!

I Was thinking maybe a 'Tutorial Rating' for the quality of the tutorial written. But that does bring a risk of people just down voting it to be spiteful, especially at the beginning when one vote would be a lot of influence on the result.  

I've never been a fan of rating systems for the very reason you mention but also because it reminds me of BadgerFace (social Networking site, I changed the name because I just can't stand it, lol Social networking, nobody knows anyone and they claim to have friends lol).

A rating system won't bring people in though, do you always use the Like button on YT?

Expect it to take a long time it just doesn't happen over night. For example here's a site myself and a few friends set up tgigeeks.boards.net/  

I even tried to create a gimmick of sorts (which I'm still working on when I get the chance) tgigeeks.boards.net/thread/1400/new-atlemos-13-alpha but everything takes time so pace yourself, you're in for a long ride.

16 minutes ago, GuiltySpark said:

I've never been a fan of rating systems for the very reason you mention but also because it reminds me of BadgerFace (social Networking site, I changed the name because I just can't stand it, lol Social networking, nobody knows anyone and they claim to have friends lol).

A rating system won't bring people in though, do you always use the Like button on YT?

Expect it to take a long time it just doesn't happen over night. For example here's a site myself and a few friends set up tgigeeks.boards.net/  

I even tried to create a gimmick of sorts (which I'm still working on when I get the chance) tgigeeks.boards.net/thread/1400/new-atlemos-13-alpha but everything takes time so pace yourself, you're in for a long ride.

That's a fantastic site you have there. I am signing up :D

Haha, think I have to agree with you on the name change, good call! (Not that it's a bad name but I'd be expecting something other than a computer site to pop up!)

I never used too, but I have been finding myself using it far more recently!

(Because it suggests videos based on the likes) 

Hmm, yeah. Maybe you're right about the rating system. Might leave that out.

I always delete the history so I don't get recommendations as they usually involve stuff I have no interest in.

I think I am going to have a long break from the website, at the moment it's lying idle with the default themes. Might find idea's easier to come by when I get back to it.

On 20/03/2017 at 5:03 PM, GuiltySpark said:

I always delete the history so I don't get recommendations as they usually involve stuff I have no interest in.

On 29/03/2017 at 1:30 PM, One_II_Coding said:

I think I am going to have a long break from the website, at the moment it's lying idle with the default themes. Might find idea's easier to come by when I get back to it.

Hey Guilty!

I'd like your opinion about my website If you don't mind. Http://Pcadvice.esy.es . I decided a free PC advice forum is not the right  for me to go, I'd also like to earn a little money from the few skills I have, so I made a website based on my Fiverr.com services (Freelance website)

What do you think of it (Honestly, :-) ) any improvements you can suggest?

Cheers, One

Are you sure you want brute honesty? Well OK.

First off I would remove the annoying gif background as it's very off-putting, hurts your eyes after a while. 

Second, obviously needs more content if you really want to be indexed, written content not images.

Third, you say you can run ddos tests on a website using a few Kali tools, I'm interested as to how you get a ddos to work from a terminal, a DOS maybe but should be harmless from a terminal. You also ask for site login details why? You don't need this to ddos / DOS or pentest a site. Comes across as dodgy <_<

Fourth, who is Mralpca? Is that you or a colleague? The site suggests you but refers to another.

Fifth, never lie to your potential clients / customers, let's be honest alecwham is you isn't it?

Finally, what is lolyousilly.com?

Other than that it's good to see you're plugging away :rolleyes: are you really Oxford educated? 

48 minutes ago, GuiltySpark said:

Are you sure you want brute honesty? Well OK.

First off I would remove the annoying gif background as it's very off-putting, hurts your eyes after a while. 

Second, obviously needs more content if you really want to be indexed, written content not images.

Third, you say you can run ddos tests on a website using a few Kali tools, I'm interested as to how you get a ddos to work from a terminal, a DOS maybe but should be harmless from a terminal. You also ask for site login details why? You don't need this to ddos / DOS or pentest a site. Comes across as dodgy <_<

Fourth, who is Mralpca? Is that you or a colleague? The site suggests you but refers to another.

Fifth, never lie to your potential clients / customers, let's be honest alecwham is you isn't it?

Finally, what is lolyousilly.com?

Other than that it's good to see you're plugging away :rolleyes: are you really Oxford educated? 

Thanks for being Honest Guilty,

Lolyousilly.com was a mess around site I had for a while. Tried different themes and formats, even had some dancing skeletons once :-)

Yes I am Oxford Educated.

The DDOS Is not executed via local shell or via kali.

Will remove spinning dice :( I find it calming.  But I understand that doesn't apply to everyone.

Sure, good idea. Will add some more content, I wanted to keep this site acting like more of a 'portal' to my Fiverr Service than a full themed website. But yes having some keywords for google to find is never a bad idea!

Mralpaca is just my Fiverr name, not great I know, but I was on a long car journey when I created the account. Yes I'm aware of 'Mralpca' Typo lol.

Thanks again for the feedback. Feel free to keep adding more if you see me do something silly to the site!

The DDOS Is not executed via local shell or via kali.

So how do you execute it?

8 minutes ago, GuiltySpark said:

So how do you execute it?

I'd prefer not to tell. I can prove it works though if you would like to give me your IP? :-D

What do you think of the website now? I hope that wasn't you hitting my website :D I haven't got DDOS Protection set up yet!

I can no longer access your website, is that the one you're referring to?

Nope not me. And I can access it now looks better.

41 minutes ago, GuiltySpark said:

I can no longer access your website, is that the one you're referring to?

Nope not me. And I can access it now looks better.

Thanks very much!

I see you've removed the reviews, I take it I was right about the Alec wham thing?

I also hope you don't use loic and you're letting your clients know that they will have to inform their hosting company that a ddos is about to be performed as a test otherwise they may run into issues with their host.

30 minutes ago, GuiltySpark said:

I see you've removed the reviews, I take it I was right about the Alec wham thing?

I also hope you don't use loic and you're letting your clients know that they will have to inform their hosting company that a ddos is about to be performed as a test otherwise they may run into issues with their host.

Hmm odd, I'm sure I answered that! Yeah, it is mine, I shouldn't have done it.  I set it up because getting seen let alone selling anything on Fiverr without past reviews is almost impossible for new members.  I do realise it's shady though, and I have removed it.

No I don't use loic.

No worries, no harm done. I've never used fiverr so I don't know what their SEOs like. The only reason I said about the review thing is because people see through it and that makes them think twice.

How long have you been using Kali?

7 minutes ago, GuiltySpark said:

No worries, no harm done. I've never used fiverr so I don't know what their SEOs like. The only reason I said about the review thing is because people see through it and that makes them think twice.

How long have you been using Kali?

Mmm Must be going on a good year or so now. Why? Do you use it too?

I had a little experience with Kali when it was called Backtrack but had no idea what I was doing. :rolleyes:

No I don't really go in for pentesting, I prefer forensics side of things.

6 minutes ago, GuiltySpark said:

No I don't really go in for pentesting, I prefer forensics side of things.

Kali has many forensics tools built in :-)  If you don't want to install it on your computer hard drive, you could always make a live USB.

http://docs.kali.org/downloading/kali-linux-live-usb-install

Forensics Tools

Not that I am trying to persuade you to try it or anything :D

2 minutes ago, GuiltySpark said:

I still prefer Deft

That put Kali to shame. Never knew this existed, very impressed.