Slowgoing

Very slow scan time

Normally I can run SAS before going to bed and it's completed before 6am the next morning (not really sure how long it takes. My computer has been running slow as molasses .... painfully slow... I closed my browser and ran SAS on Thursday night with no malicious threats found and 115 tracking cookies which I cleared, it didn't completed until Saturday afternoon. I ran it again last night and it's still running so I fear it's a waste and will be another 2 day event. Obviously something is running in the background on my computer slowing things down but looking at Task Master or whatever it's called is like Greek to me. I don't know what should be running vs. not. Any ideas? This is driving me nuts. TIA

Hello Slowgoing,

Please reboot your PC, after rebooting:

Please do the following.

1)    Open SUPERAntiSpyware
2)    Click Scan This Computer
3)    Under “Recommended Pre-Scan Actions” Check all four boxes
4)    Under “Scanner Options” check Enable Rescue Scan.

Let me know the results.

1 hour ago, SUPERsupport said:

Hello Slowgoing,

Please reboot your PC, after rebooting:

Please do the following.

1)    Open SUPERAntiSpyware
2)    Click Scan This Computer
3)    Under “Recommended Pre-Scan Actions” Check all four boxes
4)    Under “Scanner Options” check Enable Rescue Scan.

Let me know the results.

Thanks for your quick response! Which scan option should I choose on the right? Complete, Quick, critical point or custom?

Normally I can run SAS before going to bed and it's completed before 6am the next morning (not really sure how long it takes. My computer has been running slow as molasses .... painfully slow... I closed my browser and ran SAS on Thursday night with no malicious threats found and 115 tracking cookies which I cleared, it didn't completed until Saturday afternoon. I ran it again last night and it's still running so I fear it's a waste and will be another 2 day event. Obviously something is running in the background on my computer slowing things down but looking at Task Master or whatever it's called is like Greek to me. I don't know what should be running vs. not. Any ideas? This is driving me nuts. TIA

Choose the Full scan and we'll see how it runs.

I've decided to split this thread into a new topic as the other is old and will be locked.

From a PM:

Thank you. The search took 8 hours and the computer is still running as slow as anything. If you have any other ideas please let me know. One odd thing I wanted to point out is the total number of tracking cookies is always 115. Never differs... while I do visit a lot of the same websites such as FB I hit a variety of different websites every day. In watching the scan it seems to hesitate when it hits 77 tracking cookies found every time and that's where it sits for hours... looks like it is scanning files but the number of files scanned during those hours don't change.! I have no explanation but if you have any thoughts let me know

Do you close the browser when you run a scan?

Can you post some system specs for example OS, 32bit or 64bit, AV.

Edited by GuiltySpark
PM inclusion

Hi - yes I close the browser but sometimes even though the browser appears closed I will get a message that asks if SAS can close the browser which was the first indication that something seems to be running in the background.

The system is 64-bit 6GB, Lenovo Desktop, running Windows 7...

I tried to run the Windows experience Index this morning which shows performance rating and received a message that it couldn't be completed because Graphics could not be run.

5 minutes ago, Slowgoing said:

It's been running in safe mode for nearly an hour :( let it run? 

Really?? an hour?

You have a serious issue with your system it would seem, it should not be a long time in Safe mode.

Can you boot up normally and hold Winkey+R

Type in the Run box msconfig choose the Startup tab and copy all to Notepad (can't remember if this is possible or not but give it a try, if not you may have to write down all the programs in the list) and paste here.

Next choose the Services tab and do the same as above.

Something is definitely causing a slow down, you never said what Anti-Virus you are using.

Won't let me copy... here is startup tab:

i will place an -  ONLY for those checked:

intel

-Realtek 

-Adobe update

-intel

-intel

-SuperAntiSpyware

-CCcleaner

-Lenovo Black Silk Keyboard

-hpwuSchd A HP

- Java Platform

-MUI Startme CyberLink Corp

-SBSV 20 10/0 Adobe

-RIMMBBLaunch Reasearch in Motion

-QuickTime Task (manufacturer unknown)

-jmesoft

-Adobe CS6

-Adobe reader Speed Launcher

-Adobe Creative

-Adobe reader and  Acrobat Manager

-Acrotray 

-hP Simple Save

apple Push

best buy PC

Brother Control Cenfer

AOL Service Libraries

iTunesSuperAntiVitus

Services has ALOT more and they are all checked... if you don't see anything odd on start up list I will type them out but will take some time.

Let me know and Thank You!

Services Tab- Ok let's try this- I HID all Microsoft services so the list is much shorter- these are All checked:

SAS Core 

Adobe Active File Monitor

Adobe Acrobat Reader

Adobe Flashplayer update service

adobe update service

apple mobile device service

backup service

Bonjour service

BrYNSvc Brother

Google Update Service (gupdate)

Google Update Service (gupdatem)

HP SupportSolutions framework service

iPod Service

Intel Management and Security Application mgmt services

NalPeiron Licensing Service

Adobe Switchboard

Intel Management and Security Application User Notification Service

OK sorry I was busy.

You don't appear to have an AV on your system only SAS, SAS is not anti virus but anti spyware.

So first things first:

Startup items to uncheck

Uncheck everything except the 3 Intel, SAS, lenovos keyboard and jmesoft.

You may have to restart.

Uninstall

Remove iTunesSuperAntiVirus ( this seems like malware / Rogueware to me I've never heard of it before nor is it needed ).

Services to disable

Google update service (gupdatem).

More to follow I have to change machines....

If you are able to....

Try to download Farbar choose the correct version 32bit or 64bit for your machine.

Run a scan and attach the log files here.

Also download Avira free and install via Custom Install should it ask, you only need to use the AV if it asks to install or setup mobile scanner or a online vault file, backup etc select No or uncheck those.

Hi Again,

I installed Avira Free AV because it was the only option I saw at first glance (didn't see addl. choices until after I installed AV). Now that it's downloaded what am I to do with it? Sorry, haven't had coffee yet so may be missing something here. Edit: I found the system speed up/clean up option (or whatever it's called), downloaded and ran it. Cleaned up what it said to. Not really sure that it did anything. Was there something specific that you wanted me to do with Avira Free?

Hi Angela

Have been busy (it's not my day job) ;)

Open up Notepad and copy and paste this fixlist;

Start
CreateRestorePoint:
CloseProcesses:
Emptytemp:
HKU\S-1-5-18\...\Run: [orakutt] => rundll32 "C:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\orakutt.dll",orakutt <===== ATTENTION
HKU\S-1-5-18\...409d6c4515e9\InprocServer32: [Default-shell32] SHELL32.dll ATTENTION
Winsock: Catalog5 01 C:\windows\SysWOW64\mswsock.dll [231424 2016-05-11] (Microsoft Corporation) ATTENTION: LibraryPath should be "%SystemRoot%\system32\NLAapi.dll"
Winsock: Catalog5-x64 01 C:\Windows\System32\mswsock.dll [327168 2016-05-11] (Microsoft Corporation) ATTENTION: LibraryPath should be "%SystemRoot%\system32\NLAapi.dll"
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer: Restriction <======= ATTENTION
HKU\S-1-5-21-2526227594-993951278-2018043271-1001\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer: Restriction <======= ATTENTION
HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = hxxp://search.coupons.com/
S3 MpsSvc; . [0 2016-12-27] () <==== ATTENTION (zero byte File/Folder)
CMD: ipconfig /flushdns
End

Save this as Fixlist and put it in the FRST folder.

Open FRST and select Fix.

The scan will do it's thing.

We will come back to Avira later but please don't run the Speedup / Optimize option(s) as they are not necessary.

Sorry for the delayed response, I was in an all day meeting yesterday and couldn't deal with this bleeping computer last night. I did a search for the FRST folder and while I see 3 items which include the 2 docs I included above and saved off to a separate file in my documents, there is one that says FRST64 - I can't figure out how to save this list (which I copied to notepad) in FRST. I have been trying to figure this out fo 30 minutes. bottom line... how do I find the FRST folder to save this notepad file to?

OK. Create a folder on your desktop named frst.

Open the folder and drag the FRST64 application into it,

Drag the 2 txt files Frst.txt and Additional.txt (or whatever they are called) into the Folder.

Drag the Fixlist.txt into the Folder.

Open the frst64 application and select Fix.

It's still running... I think the Alvira AV got in the way because it was quarantining files. I am now uninstalling the AV and rerunning FRST. Im heading out for a few hours and will see the results when I get back.