haurqermer

(SOLVED) sourceforge.net for FreeFileSync

8 posts in this topic

If Ever there was a meaning of the word "malicious" this parasitic highjacking back alley redirecting peace of malware, should be the example reference! if ever I seen a posturing baboon, or what chicken excrement is! If it looks smells feel's & taste's like it! So? do we clean it up or go ahead & keep stepping in it? .... I know!! Lets change the very meaning of the word "definitions" because its content meaning does not define it anymore, hear is the content you can find at "Source Forge" in what is defined as "Open-source" >>--> "free file sync" & its association >>>---://freefilesync.com ://mscaccumulator.info/sync/?q ://currentset.info/sync/?q= ://mscaccumulator.info/sync/?q ://superve.net/sync ://app4us.info/sync/ ://veteranted.org/sync ://veteranted.org ://mscaccumulator.info/syn ........ can some define this crap for me? Or is my definition of your software wrong? Because I'm lost at this point? Is this not your thing?

What does it have to do with SAS? I thought that SAS purpose was to identify & remove "Maleisious" content? I have been a huge fan of SAS for more than 11 years, & have activly promoted it, I put a video on YouTube featuring SAS as my recomended software fix, I recieved a blistering email over a browser based parasidic redirector, I told him I would look into it & see if there was a fix, "so I installed it" "Im good at running down the offender" this thing is deliberitly deceptive, it does not remove  the pericidic highjacker when uninstalling, it just leaves it to run a muck" in directorys, files, without anything to identifity it... I have up dated & ran SAS nothing showed up as a PUP or in the scan,,                                   

I realize that your a volinter & do this to contibute to SAS,, Please help me understand, I have always thought if it is browser based & or redirects to advertisment with a secondary or many options for redirecting, its a spyware adware remover that tagets that type of maleisious content,, if I have it wrong I would truly be greatful if you can enlighten me.... is it a rootkit, trojan ?     Thank You!               

Spyware, Adware, browser-jackers, what ever you wish to call them Malware is Malware to me (including MS GWX update, silently installs Win 10 I didn't ask for it. But that's just my view on it).

You should really send a sample of the malware in question to SAS so they can then write definitions for it.

The reason I asked "What does this have to do with SAS" was because after your links you said "Is this not your thing?"

Which made it sound like SAS was responsible for free file sync et al.

I now realise what you mean, however, without a piece of malware in particular it would be hard to answer any questions regarding it.

If you do have a sample then please send it in as this is the best way to get early definitions to protect you.

Not any single anti spyware or antivirus program can find, detect and remove everything it just doesn't exist, sometimes things are able to slip through for various reasons, one of which can be the malware writers changing/modifying their code and distribution methods.

Funny video, not sure about the vocoder used though.

I'm sure a member of the Malware Team will be along to answer in more detail.

Hello haurqermer,

I have installed FreeFileSync from the SoundForge website, however it doesn't seem to be malicious. The AVG Safeguard Toolbar was bundled with the installation, and I have since created an Unwanted Program definition to detect and remove that toolbar.

If there is a different unwanted program that you have seen bundled with FreeFileSync then please let us know the name of the program so we can investigate it.

If there is a particular file that you think we should be detecting, please email it to me at Gabe.Burch@Support.com and I will investigate the file myself.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns,

SUPERAntiSpyware Malware Research

Thank you, my apologies for venting my fustrations in a direction that is just a stanbuyer with good intent, I removed or just isolated it's path, by reinstalling my browser without any preference data migration, I realize the online world is dynamicly changing & evolving, along with the pitfalls, land mines & traps, what I researched so far, (mind you it's more than likely complete rubbish), "getting something that is maleisious classified as such is not a easy task, & can be a legel battle" I hope that is false, because it's going get tough to run any OS safely online other than a Linux distro, Thank You for your knowlege, Oh! do you have or can you tell me were to find the link for submiting the potental threat? I will open SAS & poke around, if the link is there, then.... "Best Wishes"

Hi Haurqermer,

If you wish to submit a potential threat, you can do so directly through the SAS interface. Simply click on System Tools from the main window, then select "Submit Malware Samples". You can then either drag & drop the sample into the box, or use the "+" sign to upload it that way. 

As for Sourceforge, they used to be one of the few sites that did not bundle malware/junkware/riskware/adware with their software; however, since they were bought out, they've changed their tune. According to the "How to Geek" blog, they've found that Sourceforge has been taking over older accounts that are inactive and using them to peddle their pay-per-install malware. You can read more about it here: http://www.howtogeek.com/218764/warning-don%E2%80%99t-download-software-from-sourceforge-if-you-can-help-it/

While we always recommend downloading directly from the software publisher, and avoiding third-party hosts such as Sourceforge/Tucows/Download.com/FileHippo, sometimes its not possible. We work diligently to ensure our detection definitions are up to date; however, new threats and variants of existing threats are published on an almost daily basis. If there is something you're not sure about, the easiest way to submit the sample to us is through the above mentioned method. 

Best Regards

SUPERAntiSpyware Malware Research and Customer Support

I came by the infection thru a viewer of my "how to video" on YouTube featuring SAS as the fix,  he emailed me & said he had the parasite & asked what security scanner remover would work, if I knew what type it was, most of all how to get rid of the infector (mind you it was not nice at first) I told him SAS Is "EXCELLENT" I will stand by that, going as far as Infected my self with his recent downloads, I did not do a custom inrtstall, I installed it just lilke grandma would "CLICK CLICK CLICK"  sure enough there it was! I was not worried "I will unplug it" I was more concerned that something so underhanded & purposely deceptive was laying in wait to run a muck, "everything about it, a text book definition of malware... Anywho the fix for now is to reinstall your browser without any file migration,