CyclopsSlayer

SAS Application Focus hogging

8 posts in this topic

As to removing cookies and unwanted software SAS is working as promised and I have no issues.

What is causing me a bit of frustration is that SAS grabs the system focus every-time it checks for updates, and again when it pops up the notice of an update.

I will be typing away on a blog or doc, and suddenly all the text drops into limbo, I click in the supposedly active window only to have the text lost again shortly later as the little alert box pops up announcing New Definitions Downloaded.

I want the updated definitions, but why does SAS NEED to grab the system focus to check for an update? I also run Malwarebytes and ZoneAlarm Extreme Suite and they update just fine totally in the background.

So, can SAS be modified to leave the focus on the active window, or is their an overriding reason it has to grab the focus and not release it automatically?

Oh okay! I got the same version as you and my updates are automatically updated (malware definitions and program updates) set to check every 1 hour and I don't get this sort of problem at all.

Try doing this:

1) Uninstall SAS Pro via add/remove and do a manual restart.

2) Download the SuperAntiSpyware uninstaller utility located here go to SAS website click on support and click on the 1st link (How to uninstall SuperAntiSpyware) under the heading Top Customer Issues and Help. Scroll a bit down and click on the SuperAntiSpyware uninstaller utility (64-bit). Run this tool in safe mode.

3) Download and install a fresh new copy of SAS Pro and do a manual reboot.

Alright thanks! Out of time tonight but will have to do this tomorrow. Love SAS, just a bit annoying when hourly things seem to lock up.

As well, a bit more info, the two apps I run nearly 24/7 that I notice this with are Open Office (4.1.1) in Word Processing and Spreadsheet modes, as well the Kindle for PC reader app (1.10.8 build 40514)

Okay let me know how it goes! Sorry I don't know any information about the two programs as I don't use them. I only use the pre-installed MS Office startup programs (MS Word and MS Excel) and I use the Kingsoft Presentation Free. I don't even have any PC reader app

Thank you for the assistance!

Did the re-install first thing this morning and in the last 6 hours haven't noticed the issue occurring once.

Happy Happy Joy Joy   :-P