nighthawkext

SUPERAntiSpyware 6.0 Pre-Release Download

SAS_Dave   

System Investigator - Initial Response

Data overload

There are quite a lot of programs/injection points on a typical Windows system - usually in the neighborhood of a few thousand program files.  The real power of this tool will come as the whitelist grows to filter out the vast majority of known good programs.  You'll be able to safely ignore the results from the known good/trusted category, revealing only a handful of questionable/unverified items - drastically reducing the data overload.  The most recent version released today (6.0.1070) has an improved whitelist compared to the previous public pre-release to help narrow down the "interesting" items. Once we have more folks voting on their results, things will get even better.

I sure hope the data overload you're experiencing isn't from the layout of the data; we really tried to simplify things while still maintaining some level of useful at-a-glance information (icon, filename, folder, publisher).

There are quite a lot of programs/injection points on a typical Windows system - usually in the neighborhood of a few thousand program files.  The real power of this tool will come as the whitelist grows to filter out the vast majority of known good programs.  You'll be able to safely ignore the results from the known good/trusted category, revealing only a handful of questionable/unverified items - drastically reducing the data overload.  The most recent version released today (6.0.1070) has an improved whitelist compared to the previous public pre-release to help narrow down the "interesting" items. Once we have more folks voting on their results, things will get even better.

I sure hope the data overload you're experiencing isn't from the layout of the data; we really tried to simplify things while still maintaining some level of useful at-a-glance information (icon, filename, folder, publisher).

Absolutely agree.

From one of my W8.1 Updated computers Intel i5 3330  SAS Pro 6.0.1074

Current Unknown Count

Windows User Startup - 4

Registry Load Points  - 0

Internet Browser Plugins - 3

Installed Applications - 65 (Known 14)

Services & Drivers - 1

Classes (CLSIDs) - 19

Desktop, Start & Taskbar - 35

Application Data Folders - 101

Temporary Folders - 0

Windows Task Scheduler - 2

Running Processes - 40

Document Folders - 0

Download Folders - 0

By the way.  While I was scrolling through and compiling the list an definition auto-update began and finished.  After it was done the System Investigator page I had been on when the update began was blank.  Going forward or backward was also blank.   I had to close System Investigator and start over again.    So it appears that an auto-update download and install wipes out the visibility of System Investigator if it is open when the auto-update begins.

Love the improved scanning

With the foillowing items checked

Activate Low Boost Scan

Scan Internet browser tracking cookies

Scan inside ZIP archives

Only scan recently modified files 30 days

A Quick Scan took 32 seconds

A Complete Scan took 2:28 minutes

Could you elaborate a little on this?

Thanks

Don

I never learned how to use Multi-Quote so I will reply to your question separately.   If you look at my unknown list in my post above on this computer you will see that 82.3% of the applications System Investigator found are unknown.   I did look through the list and I didn't see any apps unknown to System Investigator that I was unware were on my computer. So that is very good.  Many on the list were very popular programs like TurboTax which by the way showed about 8 - 10 unknown TurboTax apps total for TurboTax 2012 and TurboTax 2013.   I don't mean to be rude but I have no intention of adding comments to any unknown items.  Mainly because I don't know if my comments will be correct and I don't want to post any inaccurate comments.

So who knows how long before the unknown become known.  I had the same situation to a lesser extent when System Explorer added their Security Check feature which checks your open processes against a Virus Total database.  Now the list of unknows is pretty low.  Today the only unknowns on that list were were 3 out of 65 running processes; i.e., SuperAntispyware.exe, SASCore64.exe and WiseTray.exe.  It could be because I just updated SAS and WiseCare Pro with the new versions just before running the scan so the program variant might not be in their database yet.   It used to be many more processes were listed as unknown when they first added the feature.   It was a also data overload for me at that time.

Interesting that Sysinternals Process Explorer also added the Virus Total security check feature about a year or more after System Explorer added it.

SAS_Dave   

We had found that "blank screen" error before, but weren't able to reproduce it; must've been an update. I'll get that fixed on Monday. Thanks for the bug report!

We had found that "blank screen" error before, but weren't able to reproduce it; must've been an update. I'll get that fixed on Monday. Thanks for the bug report!

Thanks for the great product :-) 

SAS_Dave   

We found a bug with the in-product updater on some versions of the pre-release on Windows with UAC enabled. You'll need to download the current build (6.0.1090) and reinstall. I do apologize for the hassle. 

Don't know if this was the bug or not. In anycase I downloaded 1090 Pro from your link about 30 minutes ago. I am running it on one W7-SP1 and three W8.1 updated computers.

On two of the W8.1 updated and the one W7-SP1 I got an error message at the intall phase. The message was something like "This is not a valid directory."  I figured out that if before I click at the install screen I delete the C:\Program Files\SUPERAntispyware directory the install would complete normally.

However, on one W8.1 updated and the W7-SP1 computer SAS did not show up on the taskbar in he noification area. I clicked on the SAS icon created during he install and it made no difference. I did a restart and all was fine.

All is now GTG

SAS_Dave   

Don't know if this was the bug or not. In anycase I downloaded 1090 Pro from your link about 30 minutes ago. I am running it on one W7-SP1 and three W8.1 updated computers.

On two of the W8.1 updated and the one W7-SP1 I got an error message at the intall phase. The message was something like "This is not a valid directory."  I figured out that if before I click at the install screen I delete the C:\Program Files\SUPERAntispyware directory the install would complete normally.

However, on one W8.1 updated and the W7-SP1 computer SAS did not show up on the taskbar in he noification area. I clicked on the SAS icon created during he install and it made no difference. I did a restart and all was fine.

All is now GTG

I think we found and fixed that issue.  The download was updated, but the version didn't change (the bug was with the installer only).

SAS_Dave   

We found a bug with the in-product updater on some versions of the pre-release on Windows with UAC enabled. You'll need to download the current build (6.0.1090) and reinstall. I do apologize for the hassle. 

I devised a work-around for the updater bug I was describing earlier.  If you run the in-product update on one of the affected pre-release builds and it fails to update, it will download and run the current installer for you.  It's not perfect, but it will prevent folks from getting into a "update loop".  The update servers won't be activated until next week though, we wanted to spend a few more days testing the update process.

SAS_Dave   

SAS Version 6.0 officially launched today and is now available as the main download.  The launch version is 6.0.1090 and is identical to the pre-release build if you happen to have downloaded it today or yesterday.

Thanks to all that helped with the testing & feedback!

Good job with 6.0  Those other guys are still having all kinds of customer problems with their 2.0 version.  I have never seen so many "Please do a clean uninstall and reinstall" responses fromr helpers and support people on a software update as I have and continue to see on that other website. 

Two thumbs up on SAS 6.0

SAS_Dave   

There was a rare situation with our automated publishing process - if we updated the setup without also updating the definition database, it wouldn't adjust the version numbers on the website.  That's been corrected, sorry if there was any confusion.  Website should now always reflect the version that is available to download.

There was a rare situation with our automated publishing process - if we updated the setup without also updating the definition database, it wouldn't adjust the version numbers on the website.  That's been corrected, sorry if there was any confusion.  Website should now always reflect the version that is available to download.

But why is the release history only showing changes of v6.0.1094?

MajorGeeks asked me to provide them with a change log but I couldn't

I understand if you skip a few versions from the change log since they may have minor changes but it's been like more than 10 releases since that version and the changelog hasn't been updated

SAS_Dave   

The change log is a manual process still; it's usually only seen after an in-product update. Since the update servers are offline right now, it wasn't a high priority to update it.  Probably nothing to list besides "minor bug fixes" for all of the builds since the initial 6.0 release. Once those update servers are up, things will return to a normal routine.

billuppe   

hello, I do not have the choice of language with the latest version professional 6.0.1216  

on an older version there was the possibility to choose the language domage

160404031925600426.png

This hasn't been made available in the latest version, they may incorporate it in future builds but I think it has made way for other options such as a faster scan engine, behaviour detectors things like that.