no_inspiration

Free realtime-scanners

50 posts in this topic

Hi,

Which free realtime scanner are you using and are you satisfied about it?

Why I would like to ask this, is because I'm actually searching for a good scanner for a while now and I would like to read other people's opinions. 

Me, I'm currently using MSE. I don't think it's a bad scanner and it's ad-free, but I don't get why it sometimes like to pretend as if your computer is completely safe, while if you use a manual scanner at the same time (free SAS, Malewarebytes f.e.) it happens it finds PUP or even malware. 

How come the RT-scanner won't detect this? 

I also used to have this problem with AVG. I was't satisfied about AVG anymore since it wouldn't detect serious malware (rogue). 

I've also tried avast!, but for one reason, this scanner seemed to have problems with automatic updates and I always had to do them manually. 

Avira made my computer slower and I was annoyed by their adds.

Pandacloud detected false positives.

So, what are your experencies? Please let me know.

Gr,
n_i

Hah, after nine months I came back to this forums (because of some adware/malware at my computer). Too bad this topic stayed empty all the time.

Anyway, I'm using avast now and removed MSE because it didn't detect PUP's and stuff. I think avast is a good one, but it makes my computer starting up a little slower?

If you still want to post here, feel free...

I'm a big fan of BitDefender free as its lightweight and does a good enough job for me.

Incidentally, a lot of AV's don't pick up PUP's as they're not designed to scan for this type of malware.

To be honest I haven't tested it with PUP's so I couldn't answer.

But if you're careful about which sites you visit and you check what you download and install then you're already covered.

I should run a test on BD and PUP's the problem is every time I try to deliberately infect a test machine, I can never get infected (sods law).

Fine. I'm going to read about BitDefender, and also because you say it's "light-weight".

Well, I don't know what it is, but it seems like almost everytime I download software there is some PUP in it, even in "innoncent" sottware. It's a lot in "tool"software I think.

MB A-MW detects PUP's a lot and I'm always like: huh, what is that and were does it come from?

At least I know softonic.com is a bad website (why does it still excist??) and I'm aware of this checkboxes which want me to download extra software I don't need.

(Maybe it's not a bad idea to make some list about software download-websites which are known for including-PUP in their downloads and post it at this forum? I don't know... Just an idea.)

It appears that the NL version doesn't have a Free version however, if you go to the NL homepage and select the language format and choose English-UK then scroll to the bottom of the screen and select Free Antivirus (not shown on the dutch version) under Tools and Resources.

You may be able to get it this way but it will probably be in english only.

You could try using TOR to see if it allows you access.

Otherwise I see no way of doing it.

Ok then, I guess I just have to download the "default" version (if)?

So, this warning list says I have to use this TOR-browser; can't I use FF anymore?

You can still use FF. Tor is just so you can maybe access certain sites like the ones i posted without being redirected to the NL sites.

I don't know the warning you're referring to, can you post a pic?

Thats ok, its just if you want total anonymity but as you're not wanted by the government you'll be fine and its just to see if you can access the site.